Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Registered User yellowjacket621's Avatar
    yellowjacket621 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yellowjacket621 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yellowjacket621 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Stupid or funny things you've heard other people say about nutrition or eating.

I imagine a lot of you have some stories to share about this. Here's one that I remember:

A few weeks ago, during lunch (at school), I was drinking a bottle of flavored water with my lunch. A friend of mine who eats crap (pizza or chicken nuggets and fries plus some ice cream every day) but is really skinny asked me, "Why do you drink that no calorie crap? Where do you get your calories?"

I look at him with a raised eyebrow and said, "Food..."

The conversation quickly ended.

Also during lunch a friend of mine routinely eats things like two fried chicken sandwiches and fries, saying that it will "Give him energy for lacrosse practice".

So what things have you guys heard?

yellowjacket621 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yellowjacket621 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yellowjacket621 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    C'mon, I know some of you have some good stories to share.

banichols has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) banichols has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    "If you want to gain weight why don't you just eat at Wendy's every day?"

IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by banichols
    "If you want to gain weight why don't you just eat at Wendy's every day?"
    Why wouldn't that work?

recyfer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) recyfer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) recyfer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) recyfer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) recyfer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) recyfer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) recyfer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) recyfer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) recyfer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) recyfer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) recyfer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Maybe he meant good weight as in LBM or something?

IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by recyfer
    Maybe he meant good weight as in LBM or something?
    Well if you want to gain weight you need a surplus in calories. Seems Wendy's would do the trick and adding LBM would mean hitting the weights after Wendy's.

Funniest thing I've heard is you have to eat 6 times a day.

TrainingSmart is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrainingSmart is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrainingSmart is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrainingSmart is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrainingSmart is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrainingSmart is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrainingSmart is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrainingSmart is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrainingSmart is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrainingSmart is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrainingSmart is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by IraHays
    Well if you want to gain weight you need a surplus in calories. Seems Wendy's would do the trick and adding LBM would mean hitting the weights after Wendy's.

I hope you're kidding about this and in the other thread where you were saying how bad peanut butter is.

If not, then I think this guy's posts are some funny ****.
    Smart Training: Train Hard. Train Smart.
    http://www.phpbbserver.com/smarttraining/

Originally Posted by TrainingSmart
    I hope you're kidding about this and in the other thread where you were saying how bad peanut butter is.

If not, then I think this guy's posts are some funny ****.
    Do you know some other magical way to gain weight then by eating more calories then you burn?

banichols has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) banichols has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Add these to the list of funniest things I've heard

TrainingSmart is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrainingSmart is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrainingSmart is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrainingSmart is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrainingSmart is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrainingSmart is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrainingSmart is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrainingSmart is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrainingSmart is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrainingSmart is on a distinguished road. (+10) TrainingSmart is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Do you know some other magical way to gain weight then by eating more calories then you burn?
    If you think that a good way to gain lean body mass is to eat Wendy's then workout, I pity you. Also, are you seriously clueless as to the benefits of eating frequently, such as 6 times a day?
    Smart Training: Train Hard. Train Smart.
    http://www.phpbbserver.com/smarttraining/

creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    just a couple of days ago someone posted a thread about drinking 1-2 cups of pure lard right after a workout i thought that one was pretty damn funny

If you think that a good way to gain lean body mass is to eat Wendy's then workout, I pity you. Also, are you seriously clueless as to the benefits of eating frequently, such as 6 times a day?
    Take a guy that eats clean and at maintenance then work outs, take a guy that eats over maintenance at Wendy's then workous, who will gain more lean mass?

Show me the studies on eating 6 times a day, I will be happy to look at them.

MattM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MattM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MattM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MattM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MattM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MattM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MattM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MattM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MattM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MattM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MattM has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by creed428
    just a couple of days ago someone posted a thread about drinking 1-2 cups of pure lard right after a workout i thought that one was pretty damn funny
    haha that one and the thread about the guy who drank the bacon grease
    370 Highest Weight
    170 Current Weight

monkeydan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) monkeydan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) monkeydan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) monkeydan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) monkeydan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) monkeydan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) monkeydan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) monkeydan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) monkeydan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) monkeydan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) monkeydan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Anything regarding 'starvashun mode', especially how you can gain fat in a calorific deficit.
    Awesome. Awesome to the max.

carrja99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) carrja99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) carrja99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I know the guy was joking, but in one thread about post workout protien drinks, some guy said he likes to drink a 16oz glass of vodka on the rocks. Said it helps you recover quicker.

rob86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob86 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I don't think eating at McDonalds / Burger King / Wendys will cause you to gain "fat" instead of LBM if you choose your selections wisely and the rest of your diet is in check. I know someone who is cutting and usually has either a whopper / KFC big crunch every other day and the rest of his food is clean. He's doing fine. He doesn't really pay attention to ratios as much either he told me. He just aims for a minimum of 170g of protein, 150-160g of carbs tops, and fills the rest in with fats. He looks good, so it must work for him.

MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by yellowjacket621
    Also during lunch a friend of mine routinely eats things like two fried chicken sandwiches and fries, saying that it will "Give him energy for lacrosse practice".
    It will give him energy for practice.
    Supplement free,
    healthy eater.

Welsh76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Eating 6 meals a day is not essential, nor it is possible for some people depending on their lifestyle. Eating 3 or 4 meals is sufficient for the majority of the poulation.

The "6 meals a day" theory has developed from Pro Bodybuilders who need to consume far more calories than the majority of us.

I consume approx 1800 calories per day at approx 450 per meal.

Sometimes people try to make the simple things unnecessarily difficult.

Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The benefits to 6 vs 3 - 4 meals per day are mainly psychological (i.e. portion control, blood sugar stability), rather than the purported voodoo physiological benefits of raising your metabolism, prevention of starvation mode etc etc...

The_G has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_G has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_G has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_G has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_G has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_G has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_G has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_G has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_G has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_G has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_G has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The dumbest thing that I have ever heard was. A guy in my class told me that if I take a protien shake for a long time, that my body will forget how to make protien when I stop taking the shake. He said it is the same thing if I eat the same food over and over. That your body will forget how to make the protien.

I thought that was a good one seeing how protien is something you need and your body doesn't make it. lol

I was always told to eat atleast 6-5meals a day. They don't have to be big meals and if you can't eat a meal ever 2-3hours then have a protien shake so you get your cals in.
    The_G Workout Journal -http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=688073

The_G's BodySpace -
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/The_G/

Current Weight: 202.6lbs

Goal Weight: 195lbs (Lose the weigh and body fat.)

Registered User SpAcEmAn Spliff's Avatar
    SpAcEmAn Spliff will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpAcEmAn Spliff will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpAcEmAn Spliff will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpAcEmAn Spliff will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpAcEmAn Spliff will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpAcEmAn Spliff will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpAcEmAn Spliff will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpAcEmAn Spliff will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpAcEmAn Spliff will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpAcEmAn Spliff will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpAcEmAn Spliff will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    "im trying to get fat first so that i can turn it into muscle"

"pizza's bad for you? but i got vegetables on it!"

StandTall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StandTall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StandTall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StandTall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StandTall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StandTall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StandTall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StandTall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StandTall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StandTall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StandTall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The importance of having 6+ meals a day is way over done, anything above around 4 i belive there would be no difference 3 square may do the trick for some.
    HMmmmmmm imangine 2 meals a day on a 4000cal bulk, those would be some solid meals.
    It aint just how much you lift but how you lift it

Anti-Conventional Wisdom boxcarguy07's Avatar
    boxcarguy07 is just really nice. (+1000) boxcarguy07 is just really nice. (+1000) boxcarguy07 is just really nice. (+1000) boxcarguy07 is just really nice. (+1000) boxcarguy07 is just really nice. (+1000) boxcarguy07 is just really nice. (+1000) boxcarguy07 is just really nice. (+1000) boxcarguy07 is just really nice. (+1000) boxcarguy07 is just really nice. (+1000) boxcarguy07 is just really nice. (+1000) boxcarguy07 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by StandTall
    The importance of having 6+ meals a day is way over done, anything above around 4 i belive there would be no difference 3 square may do the trick for some.
    HMmmmmmm imangine 2 meals a day on a 4000cal bulk, those would be some solid meals.
    The whole idea of eating 6+ meals a day is to have a constant stream of amino acids going to your muscles throughout the day. If you only ate 2 meals a day, the whole rest of the day you would be in a catabolic state.

DClarke445 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DClarke445 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DClarke445 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DClarke445 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DClarke445 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DClarke445 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DClarke445 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DClarke445 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DClarke445 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DClarke445 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DClarke445 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    IraHays, I hope you are kidding...

Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

arg

my grandma tells me after i eat a good lunch that consisted of ALOT of freshly cought trout about 50 grm protein worth and alot of fresh veggies that i need to start eating more protein because she thinks im not eating enough(she thinks protein is only red meats)......I tell her fish is protein, and that i also eat egg whites and chicken and that i get plenty of protein. She still insists that i need to get more protein by eating fatty beef, even thou im getting way more protein and alot healthyer fats then she gets.

She also says i need to start eating carbs and that im not getting enough even tho i am eating lots of fruits, veggies and grains.(She thinks carbs are only breads and pasteries)

I hate it every day she says i need to eat protein and carbs and that im not eating heathy, like her diet is better then mine, i dont want to say anything cause shes like over 85+ but she really doesnt know much about nutrition and its anoying me.

And my dad has been being a git too saying im starting to look anoerxic and my diet isnt healthy, however hes getting fat and eats wendys like 3+ times a week and drinks
    Deport ALL Illegal Aliens

Well this thread got sidetracked, but a few of you gave some good responses. Any more?

knifenut has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knifenut has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knifenut has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knifenut has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knifenut has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knifenut has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knifenut has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knifenut has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knifenut has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knifenut has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knifenut has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Question

Originally Posted by monkeydan
    Anything regarding 'starvashun mode', especially how you can gain fat in a calorific deficit.
    what about it? i've seen it happening many times

Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Nonsense, you can't gain fat in a caloric deficit, no matter how messed up your diet is. It's physiologically impossible.
    Perhaps by 'seeing' it happen, you meant that somebody became more "skinny-fat" on account of a ****ty diet. More muscle lost compared to fat = percieved fat gain.

Just to let you know, this thread was about things you've heard relatives or friends generally say, not bad advice from this forum or websites.