rc_p90 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rc_p90 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rc_p90 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rc_p90 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rc_p90 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rc_p90 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rc_p90 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rc_p90 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rc_p90 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rc_p90 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rc_p90 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

How to tell the difference between lower back muscle pain and lower back spinal pain?

The reason i ask is because about a month ago i was doing heavy row and i may have rounded my back because the next day my lower back was hurting. it went away, and then the next week i did deadlift and the pain cam back and hasnt left. I cant tell wether its spinal pain or muscle pain. im pretty sure its spinal pain.

jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Any neurological symptoms? numbness, tingling, hot/cold, pins & needles, radiating pain, stabbing pain, etc? Minor nerve pain is hard to read depending on the severity and actual disc level injured.

Probably worth a trip to the orthopedic or neuro-surgeon. I had a herniated disc from squatting and thought it was a pulled lumbar and/or hamstring. Kept playing sftball and made it worse until I eventually needed surgery.

Whatever you do, don't lift until it's completely gone or properly diagnosed. See the doctor FTW.
    "Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret."

Training regularly but no progress?
    You need one or more of these: more food, more weight, more reps or more rest.

Check out: www.muscleandbrawn.com

Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
    Any neurological symptoms? numbness, tingling, hot/cold, pins & needles, radiating pain, stabbing pain, etc? Minor nerve pain is hard to read depending on the severity and actual disc level injured.

Probably worth a trip to the orthopedic or neuro-surgeon. I had a herniated disc from squatting and thought it was a pulled lumbar and/or hamstring. Kept playing sftball and made it worse until I eventually needed surgery.

Whatever you do, don't lift until it's completely gone or properly diagnosed. See the doctor FTW.
    The guy has got minor low back pain and you are talking about disc injury and nerve pain.

Muscular pain usually arises when you do something, is related to movement, and settles fairly quickly.

Ligament or disc pain often comes on a while after the injury, although you can feel it at the time, and tends to be more lasting.

It is hard to tell the difference though because the back is not an area that we are good at localising pain in.
    The science is out there!
    www.thegymphysio.com.au

jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Fresch View Post
    The guy has got minor low back pain and you are talking about disc injury and nerve pain.

Muscular pain usually arises when you do something, is related to movement, and settles fairly quickly.

Ligament or disc pain often comes on a while after the injury, although you can feel it at the time, and tends to be more lasting.

It is hard to tell the difference though because the back is not an area that we are good at localising pain in.
    you continue to say almost nothing useful...added to forum ignore list.
    "Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret."

Training regularly but no progress?
    You need one or more of these: more food, more weight, more reps or more rest.

Check out: www.muscleandbrawn.com

rc_p90 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rc_p90 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rc_p90 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rc_p90 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rc_p90 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rc_p90 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rc_p90 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rc_p90 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rc_p90 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rc_p90 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rc_p90 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Fresch View Post

my mom is a doctor and said i might have slipped a disc or something. i can still walk and do stuff. but when i am sitting down and i am kinda slouched i can feel and almost sharp pain and we i get up i have to get up slowly cuz it hurts.

gimpy835 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gimpy835 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gimpy835 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gimpy835 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gimpy835 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gimpy835 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gimpy835 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gimpy835 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gimpy835 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gimpy835 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gimpy835 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    my doctors thought for 2 years i had soft tissue damage with my back, ended up having a collapsed disk into my spinal canal. only way they knew something was up with my disk (aside from the disk being black on my MRI's) was a discogram which was the worse pain ive ever experienced in my life. ended up having a fusion done and they finally saw the disk was collapsed into the spinal canal which explained the couple of years of pain i went through after a car accided. best thing to do is go see an ortho or neuro if your pain continues to see what is up.

Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
    you continue to say almost nothing useful...added to forum ignore list.
    You are in the minority in feeling that way...you must have missed all those informative and helpful posts I have made. Probably because you rarely visit or post here...

Negged..I wonder how long until a spiteful Neg-back arives....
    Last edited by Fresch; 03-03-2008 at 01:59 PM.
    www.thegymphysio.com.au

Originally Posted by rc_p90 View Post
    my mom is a doctor and said i might have slipped a disc or something. i can still walk and do stuff. but when i am sitting down and i am kinda slouched i can feel and almost sharp pain and we i get up i have to get up slowly cuz it hurts.
    Your mother is a doctor and you are asking the forum for advice??

What has she arranged for you??
    www.thegymphysio.com.au

Originally Posted by gimpy835 View Post
    my doctors thought for 2 years i had soft tissue damage with my back, ended up having a collapsed disk into my spinal canal. only way they knew something was up with my disk (aside from the disk being black on my MRI's) was a discogram which was the worse pain ive ever experienced in my life. ended up having a fusion done and they finally saw the disk was collapsed into the spinal canal which explained the couple of years of pain i went through after a car accided. best thing to do is go see an ortho or neuro if your pain continues to see what is up.
    Nobody was worried that, at your age, a disc was black (which means it has a badly dehydrated nucleus - should not see that under about 40yo - or that it has no nucleus - probably because it has herniated out the back somewhere) and could not diagnose a discogenic problem from that??

Discograms are hell I have heard!

There were no options presented apart from fusion, or was the disc that badly herniated?
    www.thegymphysio.com.au

gimpy835 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gimpy835 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gimpy835 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gimpy835 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gimpy835 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gimpy835 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gimpy835 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gimpy835 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gimpy835 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gimpy835 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gimpy835 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yes the discogram was hell, they actually have in the report where I tried to get up off the table when they did the injection to the bad disk while under a little bit if sedation. There was nothing else presented to me other than an artificial disk which I would went with the fusion after talking to the doctor a little more about it. The disk had collapsed into the spinal canal and they couldnt see anything other than the bad disk with the 3 MRI's I had before surgery. When they finally had me in surgery and had the device they use to do the TLIF in they saw that the disk had collapsed the way that it did and was on 2-3 nerves. Leg pain was gone as soon as I woke up after surgery, just had the big ass knot on my back from the surgery.

Artificial diska have been around in Europe for about 15 years, but have not been used much in USA because.....wait for it....it was not an American invention! So the medicos shunned it. Nice to see they are finally creeping into use.
    www.thegymphysio.com.au

Ive read a lot of things and talked to a few people that have the artificial disk and they have more problems that than fusions. Doctor told me personally he would rather do a fusion. He had gone to some convention in Utah or something before my surgery and he said they were also saying they had better success with the fusion surgery.

Originally Posted by gimpy835 View Post
    Ive read a lot of things and talked to a few people that have the artificial disk and they have more problems that than fusions. Doctor told me personally he would rather do a fusion. He had gone to some convention in Utah or something before my surgery and he said they were also saying they had better success with the fusion surgery.
    That's because they just don't use them that much and have limited knowledge of doing the procedures. European doctors have a much different outlook. Mind you, neither is as good as the real thing - the disc is a brilliant design actually.
    www.thegymphysio.com.au

PMont has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PMont has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PMont has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PMont has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PMont has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PMont has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PMont has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PMont has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PMont has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PMont has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PMont has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I used to be worried about kidney problems, but then realized I did deadlifts the day before. I don't get it anymore but sometimes deadlifts would cause me to wake up from sharp pain in my lower back/felt like someone stabbed me in the kidneys(family history of kidney problems). I don't have those problems anymore, and im going over 500 on max days. This was when i was using a lighter weight and still building back strength/ perfecting technique. But if you dont pull right you can be sore for weeks. I wouldnt be too worried based on those symptons. My one buddy has been off for a month due to hurting his lower back. Drive with the legs and keep your back STRAIGHT head up. rounded= time off from deadlifts lol
    Last edited by PMont; 03-04-2008 at 02:44 AM.
    Deadlift 515
    Bench 335

I was told by doctors and PT guy to stay away from deadlifts, squats, benching or putting a lot of weight above my head. For the fact of not wanting to see either one of them again in the situation I was in I just heed their advise and keep the hell away from thoes types of exercises. Ive just had to find other ways to do my workouts but I cant really complain.