Thread: Track and Field

GeneticMishap will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeneticMishap will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeneticMishap will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeneticMishap will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeneticMishap will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeneticMishap will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeneticMishap will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeneticMishap will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeneticMishap will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeneticMishap will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeneticMishap will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Track and Field

My stats: Im 13, pretty good shape, little chubby about 5 foot 10 or 11
    190-195 lbs pretty strong.

My fastest time in teh 100 is about 11 flat and my 200 is 25 flat.

My story: Today i ran the 200 meter dash and lost by about 1 meter and i was so pissed, i sprinted my harded the whole race and had no extra burst at the end.

My task: I would like to run the 200 in anywere from 22-24 seconds and get down to about 175-180lbs, my style of running is sorta like a train... slow and laggy at start but once i get the moment going i power and speed up.
    - Shot put. I'm great at shotput but i have to practise my form and get it right and powerful.

Any advice you may have on how to increase endurance in the last 50 meters of the 200 and how to increase my speed please let me know id love to get explosive so i can run fast and impress my football coaches once i get to highschool.

ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    11 second 100m is blazing for an 8th grader.

Renthal has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Renthal has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Renthal has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Renthal has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Renthal has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Renthal has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Renthal has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Renthal has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Renthal has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Renthal has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Renthal has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by ajn
    11 second 100m is blazing for an 8th grader.
    Expecially one that is that big. IF your going to be a Frosh next year try out for the football team if ever thought about playing, with that size and speed youd do great.

deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100)
    yea and one say you can be loved like me lol jking

but yea you can play multiple postions in football i would suggest doing some carido

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz mdiggitydawg's Avatar
    mdiggitydawg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mdiggitydawg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mdiggitydawg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mdiggitydawg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mdiggitydawg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mdiggitydawg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mdiggitydawg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mdiggitydawg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mdiggitydawg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mdiggitydawg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mdiggitydawg is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by deltaforce
    yea and one say you can be loved like me lol jking
    Lol

T Train90 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) T Train90 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) T Train90 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) T Train90 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) T Train90 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) T Train90 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) T Train90 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) T Train90 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    i would suggest doing some carido
    I don't know about that one, deltaforce. It might stunt his growth!

SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Are you sure that was 11 flat. I doubt that was even 25 in the 200. You are 13 and you weigh 195. If you run that fast at that weight GWC73AC will give you a scholarship right now.
    Home Gym Crew
    AP4
    Pureblood

deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100)
    i rally doubt that man is a recuiter lol because a recuiter would never be on these fourms there busy year round and dont talk like that

Frodo16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frodo16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frodo16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frodo16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frodo16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frodo16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frodo16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frodo16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    man, you must have poor stamina if you run the 100 in 11, and the 200 in only 25. Even if you slow down a l'il bit through tiredness, it shouldnt affect the second 100m of the 200 too much, as you have a running start (no acceleration phase) i mean, sorry to jack the thread, but i run the 100 in 11.8, and the 200 in 23 dead regularly.......Just work on your fitness and stamina, and the pace in the second 100m will come.

SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i rally doubt that man is a recuiter lol because a recuiter would never be on these fourms there busy year round and dont talk like that
    He's 21. And how do you know how a recruiter would talk? Do any of them talk to you?
    Home Gym Crew
    AP4
    Pureblood

they dont talk like there gehetto there talk like they know something like a head coach

KnightsFB 24 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KnightsFB 24 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    to increase your endurance in the 200 you have to learn how to run it correctly..it is NOT a full out 100% sprint unless you are in great shape..most people who run the 200 in high school hit the wall(die out) with 10-15 meters left..the key to the 200 is to get a good start, by staying low and driving hard..then you must lean your body into the turn(curve) while staying at around 90% speed..if you do this correctly, it is kinda like a slingshot effect where you will get better acceleration on the straightaway..the last 100 meters is a full sprint, but be sure to keep a good running form(keep pumping the arms as hard as you can, stay on the balls of your feet and breathe!!)..do not tense up, and at the finish, do not slow down! run 5 meters through the finish..i cannot tell you how many times ive seen a person lose by a few inches because they slow down before the finish.

learning to run the race right will help improve your endurance and time..make sure to practice your start whenever you get the chance!

good luck!
    Height- 5'8
    Weight- 170 lbs

Current Track Stats:
    100m- 10.7
    200m- 22.8
    400m- 50.25

Track goals:
    100m- 10.6
    200m- 22.0
    400m- 49.5

KnightsFB 24

I disagree a little with what you said about the 200. It depends on your level of conditioning. I think you should run the curve atleast 95%, and never 100%. The top sprinters, for example Shawn Crawford, who I used to work out at the same gym he does, run the first curve at 97 to 98%. And even if you can't see it the runner can tell a difference in 98% and a full out sprint.
    Home Gym Crew
    AP4
    Pureblood

Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    98% is usually faster because you are more relaxed?

Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000)
    You cannot reach maximum velocity on the curve anyways, so maybe 100% effort (which will NOT produce 100% of capable speed when on the bend) is not a bad thing? Just a thought.

There are a lot of different ways to run it--the HSI guys take the first 50 at 95-97% or so and then run hard through the turn and the last 150m. This produced Ato's amazing time (and personal best in the 200m) in '96, but there was another guy in that race who went 19.32 using a much different strategy (all out from the gun).

Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Person, quick question (off-topic, sorry) - Are you meant to push down as your foot strikes the ground then relax the leg and bring it up to about waist height again in preparation for the next ground-contact?

I recall Charlie Francis said something like this [on arm mechanics]"...ie pump the arms with emphasis on the down stroke ......same with the legs". I'm not sure if this is what he meant. Will it cause you to tense up unneccessarily?

Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Robb_P
    Person, quick question (off-topic, sorry) - Are you meant to push down as your foot strikes the ground then relax the leg and bring it up to about waist height again in preparation for the next ground-contact?

I recall Charlie Francis said something like this [on arm mechanics]"...ie pump the arms with emphasis on the down stroke ......same with the legs". I'm not sure if this is what he meant. Will it cause you to tense up unneccessarily?
    It's easier to think of stepping over your opposite knee and just think about all of the forces on the ground (once you are upright) being vertical. Actively pushing/pulling will not help you--it's just about how it feels.

noshe24JP70 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Person
    You cannot reach maximum velocity on the curve anyways, so maybe 100% effort (which will NOT produce 100% of capable speed when on the bend) is not a bad thing? Just a thought.

There are a lot of different ways to run it--the HSI guys take the first 50 at 95-97% or so and then run hard through the turn and the last 150m. This produced Ato's amazing time (and personal best in the 200m) in '96, but there was another guy in that race who went 19.32 using a much different strategy (all out from the gun).
    When MJ ran the 19.32 he was running scared, bc he stumbled out of the of the blocks. While running the 200 use the second half of the turn as a slingshot to help increase your speed, just like driving a car you want to accelerate coming out of the turn.
    "My instinct was to win, eliminate anyone who is in competition, destroy my enemy, and move on without any kind of hesitation at all."
    ~Arnold Schwartzenegger~

"Your "best"! Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen."
    ~Sean Connery .... John Patrick Mason~

Dragonmerc is not very well liked. (-100) Dragonmerc is not very well liked. (-100) Dragonmerc is not very well liked. (-100) Dragonmerc is not very well liked. (-100) Dragonmerc is not very well liked. (-100) Dragonmerc is not very well liked. (-100) Dragonmerc is not very well liked. (-100) Dragonmerc is not very well liked. (-100) Dragonmerc is not very well liked. (-100) Dragonmerc is not very well liked. (-100) Dragonmerc is not very well liked. (-100)
    damn if u run an 11 flat in 8th grade by time your senior you will be All american.

Chapter 2 of Charlie Francis Training System goes over sprinting technique. The whole book has everything you need to know about training for sprinting.
    "My instinct was to win, eliminate anyone who is in competition, destroy my enemy, and move on without any kind of hesitation at all."
    ~Arnold Schwartzenegger~

"Your "best"! Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen."

Lintford is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lintford is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lintford is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lintford is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lintford is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lintford is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lintford is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lintford is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lintford is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lintford is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lintford is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by GeneticMishap

My story: Today i ran the 200 meter dash and lost by about 1 meter and i was so pissed, i sprinted my harded the whole race and had no extra burst at the end.

My task: I would like to run the 200 in anywere from 22-24 seconds and get down to about 175-180lbs, my style of running is sorta like a train... slow and laggy at start but once i get the moment going i power and speed up.
    - Shot put. I'm great at shotput but i have to practise my form and get it right and powerful.

Any advice you may have on how to increase endurance in the last 50 meters of the 200 and how to increase my speed please let me know id love to get explosive so i can run fast and impress my football coaches once i get to highschool.
    This makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever.

You say you run like a train, take a long time to get to max speed, but then your fast yeh?

Then how come your 200m and 100m times have a deficite of 5 seconds when combined?

Most peoples 100 and 200 times are structured like double the 100 and add on 1/2 seconds, and thats about it, not 5 seconds, especially if your a slow accelerator, those sort of people have very similar double times, eg 100m - 11, 200m - 22/23.

I can't see it myself, unless after 150 you walk.
    but who was lift

Originally Posted by Lintford
    This makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever.

You say you run like a train, take a long time to get to max speed, but then your fast yeh?

Then how come your 200m and 100m times have a deficite of 5 seconds when combined?

Most peoples 100 and 200 times are structured like double the 100 and add on 1/2 seconds, and thats about it, not 5 seconds, especially if your a slow accelerator, those sort of people have very similar double times, eg 100m - 11, 200m - 22/23.

I can't see it myself, unless after 150 you walk.
    He doesn't have any speed endurance thats why. His top speed is good, but he can not hold it for too long, ok a really short time. The person that deccelerate the least wins the race.
    ~Arnold Schwartzenegger~

Originally Posted by noshe24JP70
    He doesn't have any speed endurance thats why. His top speed is good, but he can not hold it for too long, ok a really short time. The person that deccelerate the least wins the race.
    200 meters is not a long distance at all. You should be at or very near your top speed at the end.
    Home Gym Crew
    AP4
    Pureblood

Originally Posted by danj112
    200 meters is not a long distance at all. You should be at or very near your top speed at the end.
    even the best athletes are slowing down at the end of a 200 meter race, Ben Johnson even when he ran 9.79 in 88' he slowing down coming up the finish line.
    Last edited by noshe24JP70; 04-19-2006 at 02:29 AM.
    ~Arnold Schwartzenegger~

Few things:

1. Ben Johnson ran 9.79 in '88, not '84.
    2. You do slow down significantly in a 200m and even in the 100m (even the WR race slows down the last 10-20m and Powell's speed endurance is the best in the 100m ever). Look at the splits in MJ's 19.32. I'd say there are some high school guys that could hit the same top speed that he hit in the race, but no way would they even compare to his speed endurance, which was ridiculous.
    3. Almost all injuries in the 200m come from when people try to "sling shot" off the curve and pull their hamstrings (see Mo). Some people do it, but again, the WR holder NEVER did (look at his races for proof) and plenty of other good athletes didn't, so it's really up to you to see what will make you fast. It often looks like a "sling shot" because the person's actual position in the race becomes more apparent when the stagger evens out on the bend, regardless of whether or not they accelerate again.
    4. No way somebody is running 11 flat and 25 flat at the same point in their training. Maybe their PRs are that (probably haven't run the 200m in the same season or in comparable whether conditions), but it's not going to happen, regardless of how out of shape you are. The guys who are out of shape running 12+ 100m run faster than 25 flat normally. Of course, plenty of people get hook up with hand times, so it really doesn't matter that much unless it's FAT.

Split times and instantaneous speeds in 10 m intervals
    World Championships; Athens, Greece; 1997

Maurice Greene Donovan Bailey
    Distance (m) time(s) speed (m/s) time(s) speed (m/s)
    000 0.00 00.00 00.00 00.00
    010 1.71 08.71 01.78 08.90
    020 2.75 10.47 02.81 10.55
    030 3.67 11.14 03.72 11.28
    040 4.55 11.50 04.59 11.63
    050 5.42 11.67 05.44 11.76
    060 6.27 11.80* 06.29 11.80*
    070 7.12 11.68 07.14 11.70
    080 7.98 11.57 08.00 11.55
    090 8.85 11.51 08.87 11.38
    100 9.73 11.30 09.77 11.00

* reached Top speed at 60m and started to slow down from that point on
    ~Arnold Schwartzenegger~

HHenzler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HHenzler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HHenzler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HHenzler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HHenzler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HHenzler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HHenzler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HHenzler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HHenzler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HHenzler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HHenzler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by GeneticMishap

No offense, but I'm having a time trying to believe that, I find it hard to believe that a chubby kid that is 13 can run an 11 flat 100...But if so...congrats how much you maxing at on lifts and wats your vertical?
    Don't think about how weak you are ... think of how strong you're going to be.