Registered User CLARK_KENT_1982's Avatar
    CLARK_KENT_1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CLARK_KENT_1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CLARK_KENT_1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CLARK_KENT_1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CLARK_KENT_1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CLARK_KENT_1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CLARK_KENT_1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CLARK_KENT_1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CLARK_KENT_1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CLARK_KENT_1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CLARK_KENT_1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

protein shakes late night okay?

i been doing the 6 meals a day thing for a while now, i used to do my 6th meal around 9pm and it was consistantly a shake and a handful of cucumbers, i was wondering if that the shake's calories were too much for that late, roughly about 200cal. i just feel like it is getting harder to drop that last 8 to 10lbs. any comments, suggestions are welcome.

ematsui has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by CLARK_KENT_1982 View Post
    i been doing the 6 meals a day thing for a while now, i used to do my 6th meal around 9pm and it was consistantly a shake and a handful of cucumbers, i was wondering if that the shake's calories were too much for that late, roughly about 200cal. i just feel like it is getting harder to drop that last 8 to 10lbs. any comments, suggestions are welcome.

idrink my pwo protein shake at 9pmish and drink a serving of muscle milk right before bed

beaul will become famous soon enough. (+50) beaul will become famous soon enough. (+50) beaul will become famous soon enough. (+50) beaul will become famous soon enough. (+50) beaul will become famous soon enough. (+50) beaul will become famous soon enough. (+50) beaul will become famous soon enough. (+50) beaul will become famous soon enough. (+50) beaul will become famous soon enough. (+50) beaul will become famous soon enough. (+50) beaul will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I highly doubt a 40 gram protein shake before bed is holding you back. 200 cals isnt much before bed. What does the rest of your typical day/week look like?

driven99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) driven99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) driven99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) driven99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) driven99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) driven99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) driven99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) driven99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) driven99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) driven99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) driven99 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I usually eat dinner about and hour to and hour and a half post workout and after my post workout whey/carb intake shake. They I slam down some form of casein or slow digesting proteing before my head hits the pillow... you're fine

Location: Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Slyk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Slyk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Slyk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Slyk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Slyk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Slyk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Slyk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    drink about 4 glasses of milk before bed, that will do it
    you don't need whey before bed

cassein protein is slow working - found in milk
    and that should last you through the night
    BULKING TO 180 LBS - 3 MONTH GOAL

mwatg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwatg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwatg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwatg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwatg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwatg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwatg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwatg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwatg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwatg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwatg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    the shake late in the day is fine - it's the type of protein that should be in question here - if you already use micellar casien, then read no further - however, if you use whey protein late at night, read on.

whey protein has a very high digestion/absorbtion rate, meaning that it is very quickly asimilated in the gut and transported to the sites of need. this makes whey a must in your post-workout shake as it can restock your muscles with much needed aminoacids and prevent any further muscle catabolism. now, due to this fast in property, whey is also fast out of the system, being almost completely mopped up by the cells within 3 hours, making it useless as a pre-bed shake, as, just when your are reaching the most catabolic part of sleep, the whey is gone - leaving your body free to use amino acids from muscle tissue as energy. micellar casien, on the other hand, has a much lower digestion/absorbtion rate, and is a much better choice when used before sleep, or any period of prolonged fasting. when taken, it forms a multiple ball-like particles that form a gel in the small intestine (micelles) and this greatly reduces the rate at which the body can shift it into the blood stream, and to your muscles. micellar casien protein can last up to 7 hours - meaning up to 7 hours of anabolic amino acids to reduce the rate of muscle catabolism during fasting. on the flip side, post resistance training, micellar casien is useless as it takes so long to get into the body.

if your late night shake is post workout, you can still benefit. mix 50/50 whey protein and micellar casien, around 15-20g or each with an equal amount of fast in carbohydrates and this will both restock your needy muscles and prevent muscle catabolism during sleep for up to 7 hours.

what is the rest of your diet like, maybe i can help you a little?
    obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated...

m>

Registered User CLARK_KENT_1982's Avatar
    CLARK_KENT_1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CLARK_KENT_1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CLARK_KENT_1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CLARK_KENT_1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CLARK_KENT_1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CLARK_KENT_1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CLARK_KENT_1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CLARK_KENT_1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CLARK_KENT_1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CLARK_KENT_1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CLARK_KENT_1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    great advice is micellar casien something i can pick up at gnc?

mwatg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwatg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwatg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwatg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwatg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwatg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwatg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwatg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwatg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwatg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mwatg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    not sure bro - i'm from the UK... bb.com does this stuff

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/cs/milk.html

as a best seller. maybe worth the investment. or a multi protein such as syntha-6 from bsn? possibilities are endless.
    obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated...

m>

The Solution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    1. dont shop at GNC.. its overpriced you can get the same stuff online for a hell of a lot chepaer

2. 200 calories before bed going to hinder you? not at all.. what does the rest of your diet look like? and if this shake is your post workout shake i would like to know where the carbs are at in this shake as well and you shold follow it with a whole food meal about 60-90 minutes later ( referring to alan aragons pre/post workoutn utritoin sticky)

3. you could get it at GNC, but there are a lot better brands out there that can be picked up depending on what your looking for
    Pricey - Xtreme Formulations UP 1.0 + your own fat source or UP 2.0
    Cheaper and great - ON Casein
    Decent cheapest - ISS Misc Matrix

there are also tons of other brands but some of the more popular brands out there

alles_gut is a jewel in the rough. (+500) alles_gut is a jewel in the rough. (+500) alles_gut is a jewel in the rough. (+500) alles_gut is a jewel in the rough. (+500) alles_gut is a jewel in the rough. (+500) alles_gut is a jewel in the rough. (+500) alles_gut is a jewel in the rough. (+500) alles_gut is a jewel in the rough. (+500) alles_gut is a jewel in the rough. (+500) alles_gut is a jewel in the rough. (+500) alles_gut is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Blend cottage cheese with some water and drink it before sleep. Add some salt if you can not drink it with only water, tastes like a very good joghurt to me. Takes alot to digest cassein from the cottage cheese, and it is superior to milk as it has more proteins and less carbs.

I also take 2 big spoons of flax seed oil and some vegetables high in fibres before sleep.

You can also drink large amounts of water before you go to bed, the urge to take a piss will wake you in the night then eat some more of your prefered food. It is much better then waking with alarm as it is natural. I do this, wake up at around 3-4 then blend some more cottage cheese then back to sleep till 7-8.

Chris@UGA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chris@UGA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chris@UGA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chris@UGA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chris@UGA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chris@UGA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chris@UGA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chris@UGA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chris@UGA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chris@UGA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chris@UGA is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I eat a 400 calorie shake with 50g of casein protein and 2 tablespoons of peanut butter right before bed. It's certainly not holding me back.
    6'3"
    4/20/07 ~ 224lbs ~ 24+% BF
    7/20/07 ~ 203lbs ~ 14% BF
    9/11/07 ~ 221lbs ~ 20% BF
    12/11/07 ~ 196lbs ~ 12% BF
    1/20/08 ~ 212lbs ~ 18% BF
    4/1/08 ~ 200lbs ~ 11% BF
    7/17/08 ~ 232lbs ~ 18% BF
    11/10/08 ~ 208lbs ~ 12% BF
    1/1/09 ~ 217lbs ~ 16% BF
    7/1/09 ~ 206lbs ~ 12% BF
    7/29/10 ~ 240lbs ~ 18% BF

Disenfranchised is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Disenfranchised is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Disenfranchised is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Disenfranchised is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Disenfranchised is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Disenfranchised is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Disenfranchised is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Disenfranchised is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Disenfranchised is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Disenfranchised is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Disenfranchised is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    I always eat a meal before I go to bed. Then since I wake up everynight to piss anyway, I have a shaker bottle with 30g of Egg protein next to me when I wake up in the middle of the night to get some more protein in. You should try that bro.