Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Bodybuilding Proportion Calculator (and more)

Found an interesting body proportion calculator at:

http://www.trulyhuge.com/fitnesscalculators.htm

They also have calculators for blood pressure, heart rate, BMI, %BF, and so on further down the page (drop down menu for your choice of calculator).

For the body proportion one, it asks for your wrist measurement. These are the results I got back, along with my own measurements taken earlier today (obviously I've got my work cut out for me).

Give it a shot and see what you come up with. Post your results here if you'd like, and whether you think you can make it to the suggested sizes or not.

As follows . . .

Wrist Size: 8 inches

Results of my "Optimum Body Size":

Chest: 52
    Waist: 36.4
    Hip: 44.2
    Biceps: 18.72
    Forearm: 15.08
    Thigh: 27.56
    Calve: 17.68
    Neck: 19.24

My actual size as of today (decided to finally get out the dreaded measuring tape):

Chest: 49
    Waist: 38 (not too far off -- but I'd love to see 34/35 -- wouldn't we all?)
    Hip: n/a (didn't measure -- before I found site above)
    Biceps: 16.25
    Forearm: 14
    Thigh (upper): 24 (cold)
    Calve: 16.25 (cold)
    Neck: 17

Thoughts: 52 chest might be do-able (from 49) with good heavy chest/back work; waist is pretty close for being April, although I'm going to try and not gain as much bodyfat next winter (yeah, right), I would like to get it down below the suggested 36.4, I did hit 35 last summer, and 34 in late 2004; biceps have a lot of work ahead of them going from 16.25 to 18.75, I don't know about this but I'll give it a shot, time to hit both bi's and tri's heavy I guess. Forearm may make it, I have a pretty good forearm as it stands. Thighs and calves possibly, I have a tendency to neglect direct heavy leg work outside of deadlifts. I don't know about the neck, I have trouble with shirts already with 17 to button the neck.

Overall, I'm good to go for giving it a shot. At least it's a benchmark to try for.
    Last edited by never2late; 04-12-2006 at 12:08 PM.
    --N2L

Enormous Green Rage Mnstr GSCampbell's Avatar
    GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000)
    Access Denied (content_filter_denied)

Your request was denied because of its content categorization: "Health;Shopping/Merchandizing;Provocative Attire"

Damn you Big Brother! I will need to try at home, which is actually OK since I would get some odd looks if I brought out the old tape measure here at work.
    There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide; that he must take himself for better, for worse, as his portion; that though the wide universe is full of good, no kernel of nourishing corn can come to him but through his toil bestowed on that plot of ground which is given to him to till.

ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    This must be for men only. I would look like a freak if I had the suggested measurements.

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by GSCampbell

Your request was denied because of its content categorization: "Health;Shopping/Merchandizing;Provocative Attire"

Damn you Big Brother! I will need to try at home, which is actually OK since I would get some odd looks if I brought out the old tape measure here at work.
    You get those too!? I get

Access Denied
    This site has been blocked by Surf Control
    Your activity has been logged and reported to the appropriate personnel.

And g*ddm if I didn't get a listing from my boss of the sites I went to.
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).

larry7807 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

We have Websense at work but they allow 60 minutes of in blocks of 10.

almostnuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) almostnuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) almostnuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) almostnuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) almostnuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) almostnuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) almostnuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) almostnuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) almostnuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) almostnuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) almostnuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

1" off on calves
    3" off on biceps
    Hips are on the money
    Chest is unimanginable 47"

Definition: bigass, no arms, and built calves to carry the weight.

JH20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    what if someone naturally has more muscle than average? Would that matter. and which part of the wrist do i measure?

never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by JH20
    what if someone naturally has more muscle than average? Would that matter. and which part of the wrist do i measure?
    I imagine the circumference right above the wrist bone. I'm not sure about the muscle mass average thing that you mention . . . although I have heard about using the wrist measurement for size potential in the past.

I don't think that anything is cut in stone with it. Like more things like it, it's probably good as a general reference/guideline for potential.
    --N2L

justapixel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) justapixel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) justapixel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) justapixel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) justapixel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) justapixel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) justapixel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) justapixel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) justapixel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) justapixel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) justapixel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Body Size Calculator
    Wrist Size: 5.5 Inches

Your ideal body measurements are:

Chest Size: 35.75 (I'm 36, so it's close)

Forearm Size: 10.367 (It's 7/12, and I think if it was 10.5 I'd look like Popeye)

Waist Size: 25.025 (That's what is used to be before 2 kids)

Thigh Size: 18.94 (It's 17)

Hip Size: 30.3875 (34 and there to stay.)

Calve Size: 12.15 (Currently 12 and I have chicken legs)

Bicep Size: 12.87 (Currently 9.5)

I'm a chick, by the way.

Originally Posted by justapixel
    Forearm Size: 10.367 (It's 7/12, and I think if it was 10.5 I'd look like Popeye)

I'm a chick, by the way.
    Easily overlooked as long as you didn't have the voice of Popeye too. For some reason, that would just be a little too much over the line. :-)
    --N2L

Enormous Green Rage Mnstr GSCampbell's Avatar
    GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000)
    Ok, finally got to this - I love this kind of thing.

Body Size Calculator
    Wrist Size: 7.25 Inches (I have always had small wrists)

Your ideal body measurements are:

Chest Size: 47.125 (actual is 46.5)

Forearm Size: 13.666 (actual is 12.5)

Waist Size: 32.98 (yeah right! actual is 36)

Thigh Size: 24.972 (actual is 24.5)

Hip Size: 40.056 (actual is 40)

Calve Size: 16.022 (actual is 17 - former fat guy you know!)

Bicep Size: 16.965 (actual is 16.25)

Neck Size: 17.436 (actual is 17.5)

Now what?
    There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide; that he must take himself for better, for worse, as his portion; that though the wide universe is full of good, no kernel of nourishing corn can come to him but through his toil bestowed on that plot of ground which is given to him to till.

Supplement/Cardio Junkie bulletman's Avatar
    bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Waist Size: 32.98 (yeah right! actual is 36)
    Now what?
    Gotta cut down on that shortening, or up the cardio! JK!

I'm just jealous of the biceps and chest.
    Last edited by bulletman; 04-12-2006 at 06:48 PM.
    -----
    "Beware the lollipop of mediocrity - lick it once and you suck forever." - author unknown

WBL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WBL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WBL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WBL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WBL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WBL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WBL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Interesting calculator. I was lacking in bicep/arm and neck measurement when younger. Now, I'm lacking on waist (big time) and neck. Interesting what difference 40 pounds makes.
    Hulk just want to smash

PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50)

PeteB

I am not sure that using wrist size as a starting point is all that great. My own wrists are fairly small, and worse, they are not the same size (wrist on the dominant hand is bigger). Most people will tape the smaller wrist, holding the tape measure in their dominant hand.

Wrist circumference can also change as you rotate the hand.

Tables that relate a combination of height and weight to the other body measurements are better (IMHO). That way, as you build up, you can track the development of different muscle groups.

One table I have found on this web site is linked below (go figure it is in the teen section), but I think I have seen others online.

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/zarano2.htm

ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Pete's link works better for me

WT/HT - 1.92 (I used 1.90 from the chart)

Part------Should Be-----Is
    Neck-----14.00-------13.50
    Biceps----13.10-------10.50 (oops)
    Forearm--10.90-------9.75
    Chest-----36.40------35.00
    Waist-----27.30------25.00
    Thigh-----19.70------21.00 (Smaller would look awful imo)
    Calf-------13.70------14.75
    Last edited by dbflgirl; 04-13-2006 at 09:59 AM.

Originally Posted by PeteB
    I am not sure that using wrist size as a starting point is all that great. My own wrists are fairly small, and worse, they are not the same size (wrist on the dominant hand is bigger). Most people will tape the smaller wrist, holding the tape measure in their dominant hand.
    I measured my dominant (i.e, stronger) side when I did it, but my dominant side is smaller than my weak side. This is true everywhere -- not just wrists

joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Cool

dbfl, it's hard for me to 'picture' your measurements.

Originally Posted by joed
    dbfl, it's hard for me to 'picture' your measurements.
    Thank me, Joed... I am giving you an opportunity to exercise your imagination.

dmr11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dmr11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dmr11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dmr11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Took a look at both scales

and they are, mostly, within an inch of each other. They also show that I do have a long way to go, except for waist. I think I will print them up on a big chart so I can see the goals. Might help with motivation. Thanks to all for bringing them to my attention.

PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by dbflgirl
    I measured my dominant (i.e, stronger) side when I did it, but my dominant side is smaller than my weak side. This is true everywhere -- not just wrists
    Hmmm, perhaps it does not follow... <sigh> another illusion burst, and I do not have many to spare...

Now we just have to relate the dominant hand to the right-brained vs. left-brained thing, and cross-reference body development...

http://quizilla.com/users/PinkPuff/q...ht-brained%3F/

Errr, never mind, forgot what board I was on... back to work!

lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I used one of those calculators a while back to see what it thought was perfect for me. I wasn't too close is some areas and way over in others. The interesting thing is, how over time the view of the male body has changed. If you take the calf and bi measurement on a Greek statue and add them together it's always, about, the same as the waist measurement. Today if you did that same measurement to a pro bodybuilder they would look like Eric Cartman. (hope someone watches South Park).

Originally Posted by dmr11
    I think I will print them up on a big chart so I can see the goals. Might help with motivation. Thanks to all for bringing them to my attention.
    Another thing that helps with motivation is to take a pic and pin it up on the wall. Then every month or two take another one it makes it easy to see your progress. I have the original pic and the last on one the wall and although I'm still too fat you can see the changes and the definition in a lot of areas.

Hmmm, perhaps it does not follow... <sigh> another illusion burst, and I do not have many to spare...
    Oh, don't go by me - I'm defective. See below.

Originally Posted by lukamar
    The interesting thing is, how over time the view of the male body has changed. If you take the calf and bi measurement on a Greek statue and add them together it's always, about, the same as the waist measurement.
    Apparently I could be a male Greek statue, as this formula is near perfect for me.

I did a more detailed one of these that claimed I was "middle brained" (perhaps they meant 'muddled' ) but on this one I got:

You are left-brain dominant. This means that you are a very logical person. You like things organized and sequential, and you may even keep lists, to make sure you do everything in the right order. You probably enjoy reading and writing, since language skills are held in the left hemisphere.

I did a more detailed one of these that claimed I was "middle brained" (perhaps they meant 'muddled' ) but on this one I got:

You are left-brain dominant. This means that you are a very logical person. You like things organized and sequential, and you may even keep lists, to make sure you do everything in the right order. You probably enjoy reading and writing, since language skills are held in the left hemisphere.
    Got the same thing on this one, even though I don't usually inflict too much sequential thinking on myself <chuckle>. Perhaps there are only the two outcomes.

It was the wrist measurement and body proportions that started me thinking. My right one is a good 1/2-inch bigger in circumference, and has been for a long time... both wrists are small compared to my hands, and the right forearm is longer (measured vertically from elbow to the wrist, elbow resting on a table) I just assumed being right-handed was the reason.

It was the wrist measurement and body proportions that started me thinking. My right one is a good 1/2-inch bigger in circumference, and has been for a long time... both wrists are small compared to my hands, and the right forearm is longer (measured vertically from elbow to the wrist, elbow resting on a table) I just assumed being right-handed was the reason.
    Yes, that's how it is meant to be. You're normal

I am backwards. My right side is dominant in that I'm right-handed, but my left side is bigger. My right is stronger, though. Weird.

Yes, that's how it is meant to be. You're normal
    That has been debated by those near and dear to me, as well as some who were less favorably inclined... Maybe you just taught yourself to be right-handed as a child.

To be fair, I think there are some theories about body and brain development that go against that. According to those, the side with the arm which is better at manipulation of objects becomes the "protected" side, while the "shield" arm and hip get stronger... maybe someone should measure those Greek statues more carefully.

Tried the second calculator posted by Pete and it seems to be a little more reasonable. I'm on a cut to lose 20 pounds (give or take) right now -- and the difference between my suggested proportions now, and those of when I'll be 20 lbs. lighter are significant. In fact, at 20 pounds lighter I got a result of 15.75 for biceps (I'm currently at 16.25). I intend to see the 16.25 drop somewhat with a 20 lb. loss -- but not to 15.75. At least I hope not!

I think the main thing with the wrist measurement method, is that the wrist is a very lean area of the body that doesn't see significant changes in size regardless of BF levels. Although this method for me gave some pretty hard-to-reach numbers: 18.75 (I think) for biceps. That's quite a goal going from 16.25.
    --N2L

Registered User johnnyironboard's Avatar
    johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Wrist is 7.5 and I am at every number. Kind of depressing- Strict diet, 6 days per week lifting and cardio 4 to 5 times per day to stay where I am at.

30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000)
    Flygirl,

That chart is definately for guys! If a chick fit those measurments Id be afraid of getting my ass kicked by most women.

My wrist size at 6' tall is 7.75

So I did decent as far as what they consider is optimum....like most my waist was too large. Ever since opening my own practices (2 in the last 16 moths) my diet just isnt as clean, and the waist has grown some...but I hopefully for good just got back on track over the last 10 days and will continue to do so.

My read as follows:

Optimum actual cold measurment

CHEST---------------50.375---------------52.75
    BICEPS (upper arm)---18.134---------------20.25
    FOREARM-------------14.608---------------14.50
    THIGH----------------26.698---------------27.25
    CALVE----------------17.12----------------18.00
    NECK------------------18.63---------------19.25
    WAIST----------------35.26----------------38.75 (ugh!) pathetic!

I may have cheated always using my dominant side (right) for measurments which Im sure are a little bigger #1 ...and #2 Im sure my added piunds over the last 1.5 years havent all accululated in my waist...so once I get down to where I should be (shooting for 34" waist Im sure my chest and neck measurments will decrease a little.

Chest-----------------50.375--------------53"
    biceps (upper arm)-----18.1349

Supplement/Cardio Junkie bulletman's Avatar
    bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulletman is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    according to the second chart I'm pretty close, proportion wise, but my goals are more along the lines of what the first calculator showed. I'm now realizing I've got a pretty light build since my wrist is only 6.8"!

Seems like my legs are my strong point though (as I suspected)
    Last edited by bulletman; 04-14-2006 at 02:22 PM.
    -----
    "Beware the lollipop of mediocrity - lick it once and you suck forever." - author unknown