browney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Running when putting on muscle

Hi,

I'm trying to put on muscle at the moment. I do weights on Mon,Wed,Fri and Sunday. If I go for a run (not a long one, say 5-6km) on one or two of the days I don't do weights (that's be Tue, Thurs or Sat) what sort of effect would it have on my gains. I'm trying to eat a lot. I was wanting to do it to help me make sure the weight is going on as muscle not fat and to make sure I stay fit. Am I better no to worry about these things untill later and just try to eat lots and rest?

NYTEYED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYTEYED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYTEYED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYTEYED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYTEYED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYTEYED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYTEYED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Running is great! It will improve your cardio-vascular strength and that you can bring into your lifting sessions. I jog 2 miles a day 6 days a week, it makes breakfast taste better! I believe that anyone can do 8-10 miles a week a get nothing but benifits. I think you should go as hard as feels comfortable for you. It's ok to test youself a little on a run but, I would rather test my cardio w/ a heavy set of squats or deads.

Soap box squatting. Andrew.Cook's Avatar
    Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by browney
    Hi,

I'm trying to put on muscle at the moment. I do weights on Mon,Wed,Fri and Sunday. If I go for a run (not a long one, say 5-6km) on one or two of the days I don't do weights (that's be Tue, Thurs or Sat) what sort of effect would it have on my gains. I'm trying to eat a lot. I was wanting to do it to help me make sure the weight is going on as muscle not fat and to make sure I stay fit. Am I better no to worry about these things untill later and just try to eat lots and rest?
    I am also of the mindset that running is crucial. I like to get out on a nice saturday and run a good 7-10 miles (talking 10-15k range for those of you who are metric minded) and I have yet to experience anything that I would consider a detriment to my lifting. If you are still trying to bulk, I would just make sure that you are really eating to cover the calories you are burning up in your run.

browney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So would lifting 4 days a week, running 2 days a week and one day resting be a good program. Does that give enough rest?

brutalfinn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brutalfinn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brutalfinn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brutalfinn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brutalfinn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brutalfinn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brutalfinn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brutalfinn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brutalfinn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brutalfinn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brutalfinn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    It will slow your gains significantly. Want to get big? Stop any cardio, hit the weights and eat like a horse.

waseem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) waseem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by brutalfinn
    It will slow your gains significantly. Want to get big? Stop any cardio, hit the weights and eat like a horse.
    wtf ur talking about? he can do as much cardio as he wants, but he have to eat enough to be on a positive caloric balance.

HELLO. YES, THIS IS DOG. ironstrife's Avatar
    ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    please, dont give advices...

brutalfinn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brutalfinn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brutalfinn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brutalfinn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brutalfinn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brutalfinn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brutalfinn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brutalfinn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brutalfinn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brutalfinn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brutalfinn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Yeh, here we have the monstrous 160lbers telling how one can do as much cardio as one wants if they want to get big...
    A bit of advice: stop worrying about cardio and you might break the 15 inch arm barrier.

Soap box squatting. Andrew.Cook's Avatar
    Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yeh, here we have the monstrous 160lbers telling how one can do as much cardio as one wants if they want to get big...
    A bit of advice: stop worrying about cardio and you might break the 15 inch arm barrier.
    Ok, from a veteran of 15 years in both powerlifting and bodybuilding with bigger than 15 inch arms... you don't know what you are talking about. Whoever told you that you can not do cardio was doing you wrong.

Whoever said that you just need to increase your caloric intake to match what you are using had it right. If you want to grow you just have to eat over your maintenance caloric needs. I'm here to tell you that running twice a week won't kill you, in fact it will probably give you some benefits that you otherwise wouldn't have. Increased cardiovascular efficiency is indeed a plus in bodybuilding. Improving your body's efficiency at delivering oxygen is certainly a plus.

At a certain point there is going to be diminished returns... but twice a week? I doubt it. Like I said, I run 3-4 times a week (run on most of my non-lifting days) and I don't think that it has hurt my bodybuilding at all.

runtime will become famous soon enough. (+50) runtime will become famous soon enough. (+50) runtime will become famous soon enough. (+50) runtime will become famous soon enough. (+50) runtime will become famous soon enough. (+50) runtime will become famous soon enough. (+50) runtime will become famous soon enough. (+50) runtime will become famous soon enough. (+50) runtime will become famous soon enough. (+50) runtime will become famous soon enough. (+50) runtime will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Man stay with it, It's easy to run 8 miles a week, thats 1-2 miles a day - Not much at all. Running a 7-8 minute mile will do wonders with training. I alternate my running speeds, run FAST for 500 meters then run SLOW for 500 meters...At the moment I average a 3 mile run like this 4-5 times a week with no problems

I dont think it will hinder any growth on muscle if you keep up the lifting as well.

brutalfinn: Mate, very poor advice.

Just my 002 cents.
    Last edited by runtime; 04-11-2006 at 06:45 AM.

Up The Twig is on a distinguished road. (+10) Up The Twig is on a distinguished road. (+10) Up The Twig is on a distinguished road. (+10) Up The Twig is on a distinguished road. (+10) Up The Twig is on a distinguished road. (+10) Up The Twig is on a distinguished road. (+10) Up The Twig is on a distinguished road. (+10) Up The Twig is on a distinguished road. (+10) Up The Twig is on a distinguished road. (+10) Up The Twig is on a distinguished road. (+10) Up The Twig is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Talking

Want to get FAT? Stop any cardio, hit the weights and eat like a horse.
    Fixed.
    Last edited by Up The Twig; 04-11-2006 at 10:58 AM.
    Now I ain't saying I beat the Devil, but I drank his Beer for nothin'. And then I stole his song.

If you waste your time a-talking to the people who don't listen
    to the things that you are saying
    who do you think's going to hear?
    And if you should die explaining how the things that they complain about
    are things they could be changing,
    who d'you think's goin' to care?