Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    seanjohn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanjohn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanjohn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanjohn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Arrow is it harder for taller people to gain size?

ive been lifting for almost 2 years and i have noticed a significant increase in strength but i have not seen the results in the mirror. im 21 yrs old, 6 feet 2 inches, and weight 210lbs.

anyone know if taller people have a harder time increasing muscle mass??

Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Not harder to gain size, but possibly harder to make noticeable inprovements.

If a guys whos 6'7 and a guys whos 5'6 both gain 20 lbs which will be more noticable?

grow stronger comrade rockhuddy's Avatar
    rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It's not necessarily harder for tall people pound for pound, but filling out a longer frame is much harder. For example, if a guy who's 5'8" and a guy who's 6'1" both weigh a solid, lean 210 lbs, who is going to look bigger? And if they both add 20 lbs of muscle, that 20 lbs will do a lot more for the shorter guy than the taller one.

Edit: Wow, Carmen, creepy. Same example... *cue twilight zone music*
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

seanjohn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanjohn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanjohn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanjohn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    what about the range of motion,
    for example... when doin bench press a taller person has to push the weight higher because of their reach opposed to a shorter person.

would that in a sense make the shorter person gain more size or am i thinkin too much

rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by seanjohn
    what about the range of motion,
    for example... when doin bench press a taller person has to push the weight higher because of their reach opposed to a shorter person.

would that in a sense make the shorter person gain more size or am i thinkin too much
    This is true as well; it's easier for a short person to be strong on exercises like squats and bench, but people with longer arms have some advantages on deads. Either way, being "built" for an exercise doesn't mean you'll gain muscle faster, you'll just be stronger and maybe improve faster.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Don't taller people gain muscle at a faster rate than shorter people and that means it doesn't necessarily mean that it takes longer for a taller person to fill out? Don't taller people start off stronger than shorter people assuming they both never worked out before?

Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by MuscleGainer
    Don't taller people gain muscle at a faster rate than shorter people and that means it doesn't necessarily mean that it takes longer for a taller person to fill out? Don't taller people start off stronger than shorter people assuming they both never worked out before?
    where did you hear that theory?

MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Phrook
    where did you hear that theory?
    Never heard it anywhere. Just asking because I was wondering.

Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by rockhuddy
    Edit: Wow, Carmen, creepy. Same example... *cue twilight zone music*
    Yea that was wierd...

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    ive been lifting for almost 2 years and i have noticed a significant increase in strength but i have not seen the results in the mirror. im 21 yrs old, 6 feet 2 inches, and weight 210lbs.

Like the other guys have said, it's not that taller guys can't gain muscle as quickly, it just takes longer for those gains to make a visible difference. I've seen many examples both in the gym and in journals here where guys around 5'6", 5'7," 5'8" can put on 20-30lbs of muscle, get ripped, and look incredibly impressive.

I'm certainly not taking anything away from them because we're all working just as hard in the gym, but I know from experience that 30lbs of muscle doesn't go far on a broad frame over 6ft. So I do feel for the really tall guys who grind away for years feeling like they don't have much to show for all that hard work. Anyway, the upside is once they do fill out their frame they're going to look like a beast

zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by _Dominik_
    Like the other guys have said, it's not that taller guys can't gain muscle as quickly, it just takes longer for those gains to make a visible difference. I've seen many examples both in the gym and in journals here where guys around 5'6", 5'7," 5'8" can put on 20-30lbs of muscle, get ripped, and look incredibly impressive.

I'm certainly not taking anything away from them because we're all working just as hard in the gym, but I know from experience that 30lbs of muscle doesn't go far on a broad frame over 6ft. So I do feel for the really tall guys who grind away for years feeling like they don't have much to show for all that hard work. Anyway, the upside is once they do fill out their frame they're going to look like a beast
    Yup yup, we have to eat a lot more usually to fill out the frame. But I believe once we're big enough it will be easier to lift heavier weights because of being massive. Just takes so freakin long to get there, lol

Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000)

yep, i'm 6ft 2" and at the start it was disheartening. i always wished i was a bit shorter but thats just silly. both have thier benefits.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by zfan88
    Yup yup, we have to eat a lot more usually to fill out the frame. But I believe once we're big enough it will be easier to lift heavier weights because of being massive. Just takes so freakin long to get there, lol
    I know a guy around 6'4" who is on the OJ and it's quite intimidating up close. It might take longer to fill out a bigger frame but the reward is being tall and wide.

Btw, as for the earlier comments someone made about the tall guys having an advantage with deadlifting, I don't see it that way. The edge comes from having long arms and a short torso which a 5'4" guy could easily have and he won't have to pull that bar as far as the guy who's a foot taller (regardless of his proportions). Anyway, I like watching tall guys pulling craploads of weight with a conventional stance, because it just looks mean. Guys like Konstantinovs and Ano Turtiainen who look around 6'4" or 6'5" both come to mind.

niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Your not wrong. I'm 6'4'' and it's taken 3 years of hard work to get to the stage where I'm starting to look like I work out.
    http://www.myspace.com/nicholaseasey

ecto-1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ecto-1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ecto-1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ecto-1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ecto-1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ecto-1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ecto-1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ecto-1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ecto-1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ecto-1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm in the same boat. In the mirror without a shirt on, I can tell the difference between ~170 where I started and ~195 where I am now, but it's hard to notice when I'm wearing clothes. I've also got ridiculously long arms which makes benching and dips hard for me, not to mention the fact that it's hard to make them look thick when there's so much length to add mass to. Patience and hard work is the key though...and the comfort of knowing that when I'm 240 lbs ripped, I'll be a monster .

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I have noticed, though, that a lot of times tall guys can push heavier weight when they dont look it. It's just as much muscle activated, but just stretched over longer bones.
    Time To Re-Schedule

I just don't know anymore MoGeaYuglay's Avatar
    MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i'm 6'1

I'd rather take longer to fill out my frame than be 5'6 and get it done quicker. It still sucks waiting.
    If you think you can, you will.
    If you think you can't, you're right.

Originally Posted by MoGeaYuglay
    i'm 6'1

I'd rather take longer to fill out my frame than be 5'6 and get it done quicker. It still sucks waiting.
    I'm 6'1" too, and no way would I rather be 5'9". Like Dom said, you hit about 230-240 at our height, and you're gonna look pretty intimidating. If you're big but short... guess what, you're still short.

JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm 6'4. Yea it sucks sometimes as it feels like I develop at a slower rate than smaller people, or at least see changes in my body slower. However, now that I am putting on decent mass I am glad I have a large frame. I feel that I have more potential for overall strength. As I add mass too I feel because of my size, my overall phsyique is more impressive. Maybe I'm just making myself feel better haha.

As others have said I would not wish to be any shorter than I am.

-Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Carmen0857

If a guys whos 6'7 and a guys whos 5'6 both gain 20 lbs which will be more noticable?

well summed up

odoreater is just really nice. (+1000) odoreater is just really nice. (+1000) odoreater is just really nice. (+1000) odoreater is just really nice. (+1000) odoreater is just really nice. (+1000) odoreater is just really nice. (+1000) odoreater is just really nice. (+1000) odoreater is just really nice. (+1000) odoreater is just really nice. (+1000) odoreater is just really nice. (+1000) odoreater is just really nice. (+1000)
    One thing I've noticed though, in favor of tall people is this. There are a lot of shorter guys who look a lot bigger and muscular with their shirts off, but a taller guy, even if he doesn't look as big as the shorter guy with his shirt off, is usually more of an imposing presence than shorter guys. A taller medium build guy is often more intimidating looking than a shorter but more built guy, if you know what I mean.
    Which exit? **** you, that's which exit.

Owe:
    wanderlei (spread) for Griffin/Evans
    bcooter151 (spread) for Mir/Nog

Originally Posted by odoreater
    One thing I've noticed though, in favor of tall people is this. There are a lot of shorter guys who look a lot bigger and muscular with their shirts off, but a taller guy, even if he doesn't look as big as the shorter guy with his shirt off, is usually more of an imposing presence than shorter guys. A taller medium build guy is often more intimidating looking than a shorter but more built guy, if you know what I mean.
    Which is the very reason I'd rather be 6'1", 225 than 5'8" and 225. No contest.

NickInTO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Would it make sense for taller people to focus on different exercises than shorter people? Perhaps some exercises are more effective for their longer limbs?

arden123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) arden123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    what about people who are not short but not tall? ie 5'11?

BlondeAmazon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlondeAmazon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlondeAmazon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlondeAmazon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlondeAmazon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlondeAmazon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlondeAmazon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlondeAmazon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlondeAmazon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlondeAmazon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlondeAmazon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Im not a guy- but at 6 feet tall I didnt fill out until I was almost 25. My children are both boys- ages 20 at 6'2 and 145 lbs and age 16 at almost 6'4 now and about 155 lbs-- and yes folks I feed them. But genetics and growing SO TALL so young has alot to do with it. Shorter men will fill out younger and it is easier for them when they start lifting. You wonderfully tall guys have to usually wait till your sometimes 25-26 before that starts happening as your bones are still growing and it takes an incredible amount of fuel from your body to feed the growing stage. Be patient take it from a Mom with experience with this. It will happen.
    Being different is NEVER easy...see my ******** page at "Maria Roelle Health Coaching" or check out my website at www.mariaroelle.com If you have questions regarding plant based diet or healing foods, please feel free to contact me.

k_townsfinest will become famous soon enough. (+50) k_townsfinest will become famous soon enough. (+50) k_townsfinest will become famous soon enough. (+50) k_townsfinest will become famous soon enough. (+50) k_townsfinest will become famous soon enough. (+50) k_townsfinest will become famous soon enough. (+50) k_townsfinest will become famous soon enough. (+50) k_townsfinest will become famous soon enough. (+50) k_townsfinest will become famous soon enough. (+50) k_townsfinest will become famous soon enough. (+50) k_townsfinest will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by arden123
    You're about 2 or 3" taller than the U.S average height for a male. And bTW, Ronnies 5'10"-5'11", so you're in good company .
    Tallest Mexican on the board?

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)

Most taller guys will have a hard time increasing noticeable muscle mass. Tall guys have to weigh so much more just to be "comparable" in size to shorter guys at much lower weights. Most guys who are 6ft+ will have to weigh over 220lbs to simply appear built. While guys 6ft2 and over might have to weigh in upwards of 240+ to even hope to fill out their frame.

Short guys under 5 ft 10 can look like an npc amateur at a measly 210lbs. Life is so unfair ha,ha. That is why bodybuilding will for the most part always be a short man's game. Though on the flip side taller guys do look MUCH more intimidating when the finally do fill out and get that "thick,dense" look to them. But this can take a variable amount of time depending on how tall the guy is and his bonestructure.

A tall guy with a small, thin bonestructure might take a long, long time to achieve the dense look, if ever. But a tall guy with a wide, thick bonestructure is truly a alpha among men if he lifts up to his full potential.

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by arden123
    I fall into this category being 5'11 and I can say we get the **** end of the stick. Not tall enough to be considered tall and not short enough to get the "stocky" look that most shorter lifters can easily attain. It sucks. But what can you do but keep on, keepin' on.

But my father is 6'1, 250lbs. He has a thick bone structure and is a liftetime powerlifter. Guys like him have the best of both worlds because they are tall, thick, and wide.

My uncle is 6'2,275lbs. He was state champion bodybuilder who I still to this day believe could have been an Ifbb pro. He is a DEAD RINGER for LEE Haney with the same EXACT BUILD. It's crazy. He has some crazy vascularity and width on him as well.

BlondeAmazon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlondeAmazon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlondeAmazon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlondeAmazon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlondeAmazon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlondeAmazon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlondeAmazon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlondeAmazon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlondeAmazon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlondeAmazon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlondeAmazon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by k_townsfinest
    You're about 2 or 3" taller than the U.S average height for a male. And bTW, Ronnies 5'10"-5'11", so you're in good company .
    that average is only when you add the asian population- Average for a white or black male is aprox 6'1 (according to my doctors charts anyway) and the average is going up by the way
    Being different is NEVER easy...see my ******** page at "Maria Roelle Health Coaching" or check out my website at www.mariaroelle.com If you have questions regarding plant based diet or healing foods, please feel free to contact me.

-Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by DiamondDelts

My uncle is 6'2,275lbs. He was state champion bodybuilder who I still to this day believe could have been an Ifbb pro. He is a DEAD RINGER for LEE Haney with the same EXACT BUILD. It's crazy. He has some crazy vascularity and width on him as well.
    sounds like a beast, put some pics up DD!