sydneyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sydneyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sydneyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sydneyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sydneyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sydneyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sydneyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sydneyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sydneyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sydneyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sydneyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Routine for 56 yo male

I am a 56 year old male wishing to resume a weightlifting /exercise program.

I have been a chronic asthmatic for many years which has affected my fitness but I now have it under some control.

I am 170cm tall and weigh 85 Kgs. My aim is to reduce my weight to about 75kgs and to do an ocean swim race, about 2k in about 6 months time

My thoughts are to do alternating cardio (Swimming and or cycling) 3 times per week and weights 3 times per week. with each routine to be no more than 1 hour

I have a weight bench barbells and dumbbells and would prefer to workout at home.

Any suggestions for a simple weight routine?

No reples as yet is there anyone out there?
    Last edited by sydneyboy; 09-10-2007 at 05:20 PM.

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good on ye, mate.

I know nothing of swimming, but my wife is a great swimmer, after a layoff of decades.

I've come back to health and strength after a health setback, so I salute you.

I built up hardly at all from the stuff promoted in all the glossy mags. You know, splits, isolation, machines, more training days than workout days.

When I went to fullbody, couple of times per week, inspite of injuries from the smith machine, I started to gain.

You don't NEED a lot of exercises.

You do NEED the big three:

1.Massive leg, back and whole body lift. Squat or dead.

2.Massive upper body push. Bench, dip(weighted, on parallel bars), press.

3.Massive upper body pull. Row, weighted chin.

A really simple routine might be clean and press, squat, row......or dead, chin, dip.

Hope this gives you some ideas. Don't hesitate to ask questions. This ain't the teenage section. Most guys here do try to help.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).