weightmate is on a distinguished road. (+10) weightmate is on a distinguished road. (+10) weightmate is on a distinguished road. (+10) weightmate is on a distinguished road. (+10) weightmate is on a distinguished road. (+10) weightmate is on a distinguished road. (+10) weightmate is on a distinguished road. (+10) weightmate is on a distinguished road. (+10) weightmate is on a distinguished road. (+10) weightmate is on a distinguished road. (+10) weightmate is on a distinguished road. (+10)

adduction vs extension

i will split my back workout into 2 days, one for width, the other for thickness.

everyone is saying that wide grip pullups/pull-downs are best for lat width, in reading that, i gather that adduction of the upper arm rather then extension will provide more lat width and visa versa.

also, close grip chins and hammer grip chins are similar to rows in that they are extension and not adduction correct?

haysuess is on a distinguished road. (+10) haysuess is on a distinguished road. (+10) haysuess is on a distinguished road. (+10) haysuess is on a distinguished road. (+10) haysuess is on a distinguished road. (+10) haysuess is on a distinguished road. (+10) haysuess is on a distinguished road. (+10) haysuess is on a distinguished road. (+10) haysuess is on a distinguished road. (+10) haysuess is on a distinguished road. (+10) haysuess is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Adduction is the motion of pulling a body part in towards the neutral position of your body. For example, if you're making a snow angel, the point where you bring your arms and legs back towards eachother is adduction of those limbs.

Extension is straightening of a limb by flexing a muscle group. For example: extension of the arm is achieved by flexion of the triceps, while extension of the leg is achieved through flexion of the quad muscles.

Adduction is the opposite of abduction, flexion is the opposite of extension.

So what were you trying to ask?
    Last edited by haysuess; 06-25-2011 at 11:51 PM.

JohnUSA is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnUSA is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnUSA is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnUSA is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnUSA is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnUSA is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnUSA is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnUSA is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnUSA is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnUSA is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnUSA is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I think you are thinking about it to much man.

Width:
    Wide Grip Pull downs
    Bent Over Dumbbell rows
    Bent Barbell Rows
    Wide Grip pull ups
    Thickness
    Seated Close- Grip Rows
    Close Grip Pull downs
    Toss in a Cybex Close Grip Machine
    Overall goodness and Strentgh:
    DEAD LIFTS
    Universal Supps for life!!

STRAIGHT EDGE USA!!!!

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by haysuess View Post
    Adduction is the motion of pulling a body part in towards the neutral position of your body. For example, if you're making a snow angel, the point where you bring your arms and legs back towards eachother is adduction of those limbs.

Extension is straightening of a limb by flexing a muscle group. For example: extension of the arm is achieved by flexion of the triceps, while extension of the leg is achieved through flexion of the quad muscles.

Adduction is the opposite of abduction, flexion is the opposite of extension.

So what were you trying to ask?
    OP sounds like he already knows what the actions mean. He's asking: what is better for lat width, shoulder adduction or shoulder extension?

The elbow traveling from top to bottom in an arc in front of the body or to the side of the body, basically.

I'm pretty confused about that too to be honest, I don't know what the differences in force would be, if anything.

weightmate is on a distinguished road. (+10) weightmate is on a distinguished road. (+10) weightmate is on a distinguished road. (+10) weightmate is on a distinguished road. (+10) weightmate is on a distinguished road. (+10) weightmate is on a distinguished road. (+10) weightmate is on a distinguished road. (+10) weightmate is on a distinguished road. (+10) weightmate is on a distinguished road. (+10) weightmate is on a distinguished road. (+10) weightmate is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Tyciol View Post
    OP sounds like he already knows what the actions mean. He's asking: what is better for lat width, shoulder adduction or shoulder extension?

The elbow traveling from top to bottom in an arc in front of the body or to the side of the body, basically.

I'm pretty confused about that too to be honest, I don't know what the differences in force would be, if anything.
    my question was exactly that^ thankyou for making it simpler to understand