buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Question Getting big without massive weight?

Ive recently come back to the gym due to an elbow injury.. and i've made sure i have been taking it easy with the weights and just upping the load week by week so i can get my strength back.. but im also using 100% strict form, and i have noticed with a decent amount of weight nothing major, and a slow controlled movement you don't need a crazy amount of weight to pack on the mass, true?

rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    There are some good articles on building mass, and good ones on proper lifting, such as this one:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/manny1.htm

You have to do what's right for you. Lifting a "crazy" amount of weight is not going to help a person coming off an elbow injury. In fact, it's not going to help anybody unless they are able to lift it properly, after having built a foundation of proper lifting, sound technique, and proper eating and rest. All of those, plus your own genetics, factor into gaining mass.

So, can you gain mass by lifting lighter with strict form? I'd say yes, as long as you're progressively building muscle. As you build muscle and strengthen it, heavier weight will naturally follow, and you'll gain mass - if you eat properly, get enough rest, etc.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's all about progression.

Eventually, you'll have to lift heavier weight. Doing twenty pounds for the rest of your training career will stall potentially large gains.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    no HIT?

(no mr)
    oh and gecko that link did not contain answers only the search page - swiftness_02

The foods that trigger ketosis are high in carbs, not sugars - michaeldude

crofty22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) crofty22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) crofty22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) crofty22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) crofty22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) crofty22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) crofty22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) crofty22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) crofty22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) crofty22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) crofty22 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by rocketman44 View Post

So, can you gain mass by lifting lighter with strict form? I'd say yes, as long as you're progressively building muscle.
    so you will gain mass as long as your putting on muscle ? lol theres a shocker

jk buddy

op, just take it slow and dont rush yourself and aggravate your injury. bodybuilding is a lifetime thing so you have lots of time to ease back into lifting heavy.
    Nobody makes me bleed my own blood.

I rep back.

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    but im also using 100% strict form,

by this, do you mean 100 percent "Book" form?

because sometimes, this is part of the problem, and what in print looks like perfect form, might not be for you.

the trick is this : Perfect form is whatever form allows you and your body to progress without undue stress and injury pain.

be flexible in your thinking on this!

Porthos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Porthos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Porthos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Porthos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Porthos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Porthos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Porthos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Porthos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Porthos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Porthos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Porthos is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hmm, I wonder how this thread is going to turn out.

Anyway, first off, what do you consider "big" has a lot to do with this discussion. When I hear someone say getting big, I think of a natural bodybuilder like John Hansen...others may automatically think of someone like Ronnie Coleman. Considering the weight difference between the two you're talking in the neighborhood of 80-100lbs difference in bodyweight. So, getting "big" really depends on how you define big.

My take on this is getting the form down is generally the most important thing to learn...a lot of people that have certain stats listed, if they tried to do those lifts with strict form they couldn't do it. Strict form often takes a backseat to people wanting to put up big numbers as quickly as possible. Also strict form is very important if you're coming off an injury and also will help prevent you from future injuries.

Once you're lifting with strict form, of course, like DJAuto said you'll need progression, you'll add weight and volume as weights become too light for the exercise. Even with strict form, tut, you'll need to increase the weight your lifting.

Just don't feel this need to compete with what others are lifting. They may have different goals than you have and it's pointless to enter into a numbers race with them. Just continually progress with strict form and the rest will take care of itself.

I just don't know anymore MoGeaYuglay's Avatar
    MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    why are people so afraid of lifting heavier weights? just do it with good form and progress over time to heavier weights. You don't have to bench press 405 tomorrow to get big, but you do need to progress.

Ok, that said, i'll close the can of worms now.
    If you think you can, you will.
    If you think you can't, you're right.

rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by crofty22 View Post
    so you will gain mass as long as your putting on muscle ? lol theres a shocker

jk buddy

I didn't italicize, but the emphasis, based on the context of what I wrote, was the on word "PROGRESSIVELY" - the thought was to be progressive.

hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    "Massive" is a relative term. I always try to up my weights as much as possible, but as a bodybuilder, I don't find my strength levels are commensurate with my development. There are lots of guys at my gym who aren't nearly as muscular who are way stronger.

So, keep the weights going up (if you have sufficient joint and tendon health to do so, of course), but increases in weights should come in small, sometimes almost infinitesmal increments. Sometimes just an extra rep without increasing the weight. Weights should be challenging but not at the risk of injury.
    Keep on hulkin'.

I won't quit till no shirt will fit.

Nothing productive to say FitzChivalry's Avatar
    FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by MoGeaYuglay View Post
    why are people so afraid of lifting heavier weights? just do it with good form and progress over time to heavier weights. You don't have to bench press 405 tomorrow to get big, but you do need to progress.

Ok, that said, i'll close the can of worms now.
    He's not a afraid of heavy weights, per se. He just got back from an injury so he's afraid of aggravating it. No need to overdue it right away.

buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    lol.. this thread has gone the wrong way.. i was just saying that i made sufficient gains using 100% strict form while bumping up the weight bit by bit..

beastly115 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jimjunkie View Post
    lol.. this thread has gone the wrong way.. i was just saying that i made sufficient gains using 100% strict form while bumping up the weight bit by bit..
    Isn't that what you're supposed to do?
    Last edited by beastly115; 02-27-2008 at 06:24 PM.