bigsteve0506 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigsteve0506 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Glutamine and Whey Protein Question.

As you guys know Im a newbie to the supplement era. My question is Should I or can I take Glutamine and Whey Protein together? If so When to take the Glutamine?

ps
    I have a can of Glutamine and a can of Whey protein. I just didnt know if they should be taken together.
    Last edited by bigsteve0506; 04-06-2006 at 01:54 PM.
    BIGSTEVE0506

hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by bigsteve0506
    As you guys know Im a newbie to the supplement era. My question is Should I or can I take Glutamine and Whey Protein together? If so When to take the Glutamine?

ps
    I have a can of Glutamine and a can of Whey protein. I just didnt know if they should be taken together.
    Should be no problem taking them together. Only thing I've seen about glutamine is not to take it at the same time as creatine.

As far as when to take it - first thing in the AM, pre-workout, post-workout, bedtime.

Now if your goal is weightloss, dbflgirl's advice is to *only* drink whey immediately post-workout - that casein or other protein is best for all other times. If you're already ripped it doesn't matter as much...

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by bigsteve0506

ps
    Steve, there's a whole thread devoted to this subject buried a few pages back.

In summary:

1. Some whey protein has glutamine in it, so you CAN take it together.
    2. Ideally, you would take them separately.
    3. Another member pointed out a study that says glutamine is hardly absorbed at all after it reaches the stomach thus, rendering it useless when taken by oral method.

Hope that helps.

domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I pour a small scoop of glutamine powder into my protein shakes each time I make-a-shake.

I don't know about the bit of not being able to assimilate glutamine. Heck, if that were the case I think I'd be mad as heck as someone.
    HST is my choice of training
    http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/index.html

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by domineaux
    I pour a small scoop of glutamine powder into my protein shakes each time I make-a-shake.

I don't know about the bit of not being able to assimilate glutamine. Heck, if that were the case I think I'd be mad as heck as someone.
    Domineaux, I searched and found it: Resurrected wrote-"Actually it matters little if they are taken together. Reason: glutamine is basicly 85% destroyed in the gut. The only true way for glutamine to do what it is supposed to do is through intravenous delivery.
    There are a many studies backing this up.
    Glutamine is good if you can get it in your system but alas, the delivery method is not yet there.
    If you need the studies, do a search on the supplement section."

To be clear, he was speaking ^ of taking creatine and glutamine together. However, the issue regarding glutamine stands by itself. This was posted near the end of the thread and no studies/links were provided to substantiate the claim. I remembered this because I found it interesting, as at the time I was considering buying some separately.

MTAS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MTAS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MTAS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MTAS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MTAS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MTAS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MTAS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MTAS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MTAS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MTAS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MTAS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by dbx
    Domineaux, I searched and found it: Resurrected wrote-"Actually it matters little if they are taken together. Reason: glutamine is basicly 85% destroyed in the gut. The only true way for glutamine to do what it is supposed to do is through intravenous delivery.
    There are a many studies backing this up.
    Glutamine is good if you can get it in your system but alas, the delivery method is not yet there.
    If you need the studies, do a search on the supplement section."

To be clear, he was speaking ^ of taking creatine and glutamine together. However, the issue regarding glutamine stands by itself. This was posted near the end of the thread and no studies/links were provided to substantiate the claim. I remembered this because I found it interesting, as at the time I was considering buying some separately.
    Yeah wasn't there an article in M&F a few months back about the intravenous delivery? It was either glutamine or vitmin C that was being delivered via IV.
    Dave

Why I'm proud to drive a Ford Mustang:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alRJV0WymhQ

My before & after:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=290752&d=1143765727

Going for strong and lean jtroster's Avatar
    jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Glutamine is supposed to help in recovery after workouts. I tried it post-workout and found no difference with and without it. What I found effective was a good post-workout shake such as Surge.
    Joel

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”

My 2014 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159562211

Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by dbx
    I remembered this because I found it interesting, as at the time I was considering buying some separately.
    Have you looked into the peptide bonded glutamine? Check it out. That is what I am trying. The hype is that is does make it into the intestines...

Not sure yet, but seems to make weight loss harder. Could that be a sign it is working, in that muscle is building, not deteriorating after a long work out, eating as pourly as I do??

dan
    I am amazed how my body has been able to change... It's design truly is a wonder. King David realized that some three thousand years ago...
    "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:14 NIV