charisteleios has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How should my lifting change when cutting?

I've never cut before, but I'm sorta forced to now. I play collegiate soccer and we're practicing 3 times a week for 2 hours = a lot of running. I don't think I'll be able to keep up with my bulk so I might as well drop the fat for the summer. I'm 185lbs, 5'11, roughly 10-12% BF.
    What should my lifting look like? Currently this is what I do:

Monday - Chest and Triceps
    Tuesday - Legs and Lower back
    Wednesday - Upper back, posterior delts, biceps
    Thursday - rest
    Friday - Shoulders and traps

I go 45 mins to an hour, mostly isolation type exercises along with the core group - flat bench, squat, deads, pull ups

Should I start doing drop sets? Circuit train/super sets? Decrease rest periods to keep the heart rate up?

Typically I do either pyramid down (12, 10, 8, 6) or 12-10 reps each set (depending on the exercises) What should my reps and sets look like while cutting?
    DB Press: 85x6
    Squat: 305x6
    Preacher Curls: 85x10
    DB Shrugs: 90x15
    Lunges: 165x8

Hates the word "Curls" Masta ZuZ's Avatar
    Masta ZuZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Masta ZuZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Masta ZuZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Masta ZuZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Masta ZuZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Masta ZuZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Whether cutting or bulking, your lifting should stay the same. Its the cardio and diet that makes it cutting.
    Pain is just a state of mind.

"Don't Think, Just Push!" - Quoted by a spotter. Dam good advice.

My Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=9467630#post9467630

Speaking for the Trees... Lorax's Avatar
    Lorax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lorax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lorax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lorax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lorax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If your stats are correct, then i would say that your not that big and don't need to cut. I would say train hard over summer. Your a soccer player and you don't have any core work in your work out, this should be the foundation of your week. One last thing... at 12% bf you shouldn't be all that heavy, so i would just make sure your diet is extra clean and you should be good. As for all the running... well, you have to do cardio, at least 2 days a week, but if it's soccer you like you could just play twice a week to stay in shape.
    I dono, i wish i still played though (lol), best of luck.
    "Do not deny the classical approach, simply as a
    reaction, or you will have created another pattern
    and trapped yourself there."
    -Bruce Lee

Is it possible to still bulk while playing soccer 3 times a week??? I mean, I eat 3800 calories a day right now...and I've been putting on 1lb a week. But that was with 2 days of indoor which is much much less running. Now we're outside for 2 hours 3 days a week.

Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    a lot of people say leave it the way it is
    I'd say drop a bit of weight fromthe lifts becasue you have less calories

JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    No, don't drop the weights at all. Just because you don't have as many calories doesn't mean you can't lift the weights as hard. Sure it's possible with losing weight (which usually is always fat and muscle, hopefully less of the latter) to lose strength, however, you are even more likely to lose strength if you don't lift as hard.

Also, I would suggest you just go along exactly the same and see what happens. You are jumping to conclusions that you won't progress because of some extra running, but are you sure? No.

Now, you might not be able to gain 1 pound a week at 3,800 with the extra running, but see if you maintain. If so, you should realize that you then need about 300-500 calories extra in to cover for all that running.

If you lose, I'm going to assume it's be gradually, so if you are looking to cut, that's the best way. Keep lifting hard, and hope that the running gradually knocks the weight off so it's all fat.

Don't worry so much, just see what happens and judge from there.

Originally Posted by JayKid
    No, don't drop the weights at all. Just because you don't have as many calories doesn't mean you can't lift the weights as hard. Sure it's possible with losing weight (which usually is always fat and muscle, hopefully less of the latter) to lose strength, however, you are even more likely to lose strength if you don't lift as hard.

Also, I would suggest you just go along exactly the same and see what happens. You are jumping to conclusions that you won't progress because of some extra running, but are you sure? No.

Now, you might not be able to gain 1 pound a week at 3,800 with the extra running, but see if you maintain. If so, you should realize that you then need about 300-500 calories extra in to cover for all that running.

If you lose, I'm going to assume it's be gradually, so if you are looking to cut, that's the best way. Keep lifting hard, and hope that the running gradually knocks the weight off so it's all fat.

Don't worry so much, just see what happens and judge from there.
    Good advice. It's appreciated. Thats exactly what I've decided to do.

reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Something to remember. When people say, use reps of 12, when cutting. Actually lifting heavier weights, will burn a hell of a lot more calories.
    RIP Steve Irwin :(