Mike0430 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mike0430 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mike0430 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mike0430 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mike0430 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mike0430 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mike0430 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mike0430 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mike0430 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mike0430 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mike0430 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Post Workout Nutrition

I know this topic is wide-spread across the forum, but from all the different opinions I can't make any sense of it. The one thing I got down is consuming protein post workout, which I do every session with a protein shake, I usually drink one pre-workout as well. The confusing part is the type of carbs I should be consuming post-workout.

I usually have an apple or something, but from reading some of these threads, it seems as if eating an apple might not be my best choice. I see a lot of people talking about eating oats post-workout, but aren't oats a slow releasing complex carb? I also see people talking about eating a tablespoon of honey post-workout, or a banana. Is it worth it to buy dextrose, or is it something that's easily replaceable by natural foods?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am having a lot of trouble deciphering some of the debating around this topic.

Balls-Attitude-Direction joeflex73's Avatar
    joeflex73 is just really nice. (+1000) joeflex73 is just really nice. (+1000) joeflex73 is just really nice. (+1000) joeflex73 is just really nice. (+1000) joeflex73 is just really nice. (+1000) joeflex73 is just really nice. (+1000) joeflex73 is just really nice. (+1000) joeflex73 is just really nice. (+1000) joeflex73 is just really nice. (+1000) joeflex73 is just really nice. (+1000) joeflex73 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Id go with a simple sugar to get an insulin spike but dont over do it. Use just enough to get a spike, like 30g. Make sure though that the source is a natural type sugar and not something like HFCS.
    The No BS Guide to Caloric Intake, Cutting and Bulking by joeflex73
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=107459791

Love football?: http://goallineblitz.com/game/signup.pl?ref=14748563

berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Oats are great post workout. They are slow digesting, but they will still give you the insulin spike you need. Fruit is fine, but you need another source too. The sugar in fruit is fructose and will go mainly to replenish glycogen stores in your liver. You need a carb that breaks down into glucose, which will feed muscle glycogen stores. Go with the oatmeal, or if you want you can get the dextrose. You can just buy gatorade powder and use that if you want too, the sugar in it is dextrose. Honey works well too.

The Solution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Mike0430 View Post
    I know this topic is wide-spread across the forum, but from all the different opinions I can't make any sense of it. The one thing I got down is consuming protein post workout, which I do every session with a protein shake, I usually drink one pre-workout as well. The confusing part is the type of carbs I should be consuming post-workout.

I usually have an apple or something, but from reading some of these threads, it seems as if eating an apple might not be my best choice. I see a lot of people talking about eating oats post-workout, but aren't oats a slow releasing complex carb? I also see people talking about eating a tablespoon of honey post-workout, or a banana. Is it worth it to buy dextrose, or is it something that's easily replaceable by natural foods?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am having a lot of trouble deciphering some of the debating around this topic.
    The Sticky at the top of the page

---- 60-120g (0.5g/lb target BW). dextrose & maltodextrin have traditionally been emphasized as ideal for postworkout because of their high-GI. however, i have issues with going pure dex for postworkout for a couple of reasons - and they have nothing to do with the threat of insulin resistance, because that whole scenario applies to a completely different population. first off, you can get some default dex within fruit or milk. secondly, pure dex has no micronutrient density, and i've said it before, antioxidant micronutrition is grossly under-emphasized whenever postworkout nutrition is discussed. dex is a fine addition to your postworkout carb arsenal, but to go pure dex for the largest carb hit of your day doesn't make sense from a micronutrient density standpoint

Most studies done with dextrose/malto are done on fasted subjects and if you have adequate pre-workout nutritoin there is no need to spike your insulin out of the roof.. the main reason is to make sure you are getting the adequate amount of carbs post workout

Fruits will fill liver glycogen which may not be even tapped that much due to the intensity of your workout, we are trying to focus on muscle glycogen,

as for the honey debate

Taken from an article by John Berardi on T-nation.com

Ahh, that?s what the honeybees would have you believe. But can?t you see that those pesky little critters have a hidden agenda? There are little "news" articles all over the Internet reviewing some recently presented abstracts about supplemental honey taken before and after the workout and making claims that honey is the best pre-workout and post-workout carbohydrate source. However, these little articles have failed to do one thing? tell the whole story. Let?s examine the abstracts and see what they have to say.

The following two studies are abstracts taken from the 2000 National Strength and Conditioning Association?s yearly conference. Until these abstracts are written up in full paper format and submitted for peer review, we won?t know all the details of the studies and will only know what was presented at the conference. Until then I?ll treat them as preliminary data and talk about what we do know.

Abstract #1 ? Pre-Workout Carbohydrates

Effects of Pre-Exercise Carbohydrate Feedings on Glucose and Insulin Responses During and After Resistance Exercise. Earnest, C. et al. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 2000, 14(3), 259-372.

This study examined the effects of different kinds of carbohydrate gels given PRIOR to a bout of resistance exercise. Subjects were given one of four treatments: a placebo, dextrose, honey, or PowerGel. Measures were collected immediately after, and at times 30, 60, 90, and 120 minutes after training. Blood variables that were measured included glucose, insulin, triglycerides, urea nitrogen, creatinine, and muscle and liver enzymes.

Results:

1. None of the above variables were statistically different between groups. However, a few trends were noted.

2. All three carbohydrate-containing treatments appeared to decrease muscle catabolism.

3. Dextrose supplementation appeared to lead to the largest insulin release and appeared to blunt exercise induced release of muscle and liver enzymes (markers of muscle damage).

4. Honey supplementation appeared to lead to the most prolonged insulin release.

Since this is only an abstract, some important pieces of the puzzle are missing. However, the conclusions appear relatively clear. When taken before exercise, 50g of carbohydrate promotes anti catabolic blood profiles during the post-workout period. While there were no differences between groups, it appears that dextrose may be the winner of this carbohydrate challenge in terms of peak insulin release and anti-catabolic effects.

However, it does appear that honey, with its low glycemic index (GI = 73) vs. that of dextrose (GI = 98), may win on the glycemic index front. The prolonged insulin release is probably due to its slow appearance into the blood (low GI) and this characteristic is certainly of benefit when ingested BEFORE the workout. This way, insulin won?t rise too high, which would lead blood sugar levels to crash and cause you to bonk. So, if you want to take in some carbohydrates before the workout, honey may be superior.

But remember, the authors didn?t give a post workout drink after training. Subjects had to fast for those 2 hours while blood was drawn. So although carbohydrates taken before training may be good if you don?t plan on eating after the workout, a good post-workout drink taken immediately after exercise would certainly show more anabolic and anti-catabolic effects than any treatment in this study.

Abstract #2 ? Post-Workout Carbohydrates

Effects of Ingesting Protein With Various Forms of Carbohydrate Following Resistance Exercise on Substrate Availability and Markers of Catabolism. Kreider, R. et al. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 2000, 14(3), 259-372

This study examined the effects of different post-workout nutritional combinations. Subjects performed a resistance training bout and immediately after consumed one of four beverages: a placebo, 40g of whey protein and 120g of sucrose, 40g of whey protein and 120g maltodextrin, or 40g whey protein and 120g of powdered honey. Blood samples were taken at 30, 60, 90, and 120 minutes after supplementation and analyzed for substrates, hormones, and markers of muscle damage/catabolism.

Results:

1. The honey group had the largest glucose area under the curve (i.e. the carbs from the honey drink stuck around in the blood for longer than the carbs from the other drinks).

2. There were no differences between carbohydrate groups for insulin release.

3. Testosterone and cortisol levels decreased after exercise in all groups.

4. The T:C ratio was more favorable in the honey and maltodextrin groups than in the sucrose and placebo groups.

Since all the current literature is clear on the fact that a protein plus carbohydrate beverage makes for the best post-workout option, the next step is to determine the optimal types of protein and carbohydrate. In this study it appears that honey and maltodextrin are good carbohydrate choices (when taken with protein) for a favorable hormonal profile after training. There were no differences between the honey and maltodextrin groups but they were both better than sucrose and water.

However, since the goal of optimal post-workout nutrition is to drive amino acids and carbohydrates quickly into the muscle (and, incidentally, out of the blood), maltodextrin appears superior to honey. Since maltodextrin is more rapidly cleared from the blood (GI = 105) and the honey isn?t cleared as rapidly, maltodextrin may be better at replenishing muscle glycogen, a necessary component of recovery.

Taken together, I believe that if you eat carbohydrates prior to working out, any low GI carbohydrate source like honey is a good choice but there?s probably nothing magical about honey. However, after the workout, it appears that high GI carbohydrates like dextrose, maltodextrin?or a combination of the two?might be far better carbohydrate sources in terms of peak insulin release, maximum anti-catabolic effects, favorable Testosterone to cortisol ratio, and muscle glycogen replenishment.

Why then have the results of these studies been slanted in order to say that honey is best? Well, that?s because those doing the slanting are affiliated with the National Honey Board, the organization that funded the research studies listed above. Again, honey is a good moderate GI carbohydrate source but it?s probably not much better than many others. Trouble is, during the post-workout period, it may be worse than many others.

I hope the bees don?t get mad at me for dissin? on their honey!

hope this helps you anwser some questions

SCRAM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SCRAM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SCRAM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SCRAM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SCRAM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SCRAM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SCRAM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SCRAM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SCRAM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SCRAM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SCRAM will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I also consume a 6% carb solution while working out. Gatorade hits 6% rite on the money. I have read this in many nutrition books.
    The switch has been thrown and an animal I have become !...........

2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2 D has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I like the combo of 1 cup of orange juice (or a banana) w/ 1 serv. of rolled oats along with a protein source like a shake, turkey or chicken.
    Fitness Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=107651531

ITNewibie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ITNewibie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ITNewibie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ITNewibie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ITNewibie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ITNewibie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ITNewibie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ITNewibie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ITNewibie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ITNewibie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ITNewibie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mike0430 View Post

Yes I know it can be very confusing to try to wade through the nutrition muck-I think all the ideas are truly good for what that person either heard or experienced much like yourself -so take that in mind and try it for a variation and most of the time your gut feeling will tell you if it is right or wrong for your body.

I think slow or complex carbs such as potatoes are good for long sustained energy after your workout. And depending on the intensity of the exercise rountine -you probably will need it. And plus carbs in general keep the body from futher catabolizing precious muscle tissue and utilizing the ingested protein for muscle builiding.

Good luck I hope that helps
    Kirk Fontaine
    The ITNewbie
    Cleveland Ohio
    Master's Degree Student/Information Technology
    Capella Universiity(Online Student)
    http://my.dietpower.com/KirkFontaine
    http://kirkfontaine.blogspot.com/
    BigMuscle.com ClevBuffTrainer ( 18624 )

RTW2 is just really nice. (+1000) RTW2 is just really nice. (+1000) RTW2 is just really nice. (+1000) RTW2 is just really nice. (+1000) RTW2 is just really nice. (+1000) RTW2 is just really nice. (+1000) RTW2 is just really nice. (+1000) RTW2 is just really nice. (+1000) RTW2 is just really nice. (+1000) RTW2 is just really nice. (+1000) RTW2 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Sweet Tarts!!
    Need some Motivation?
    https://www.********.com/Motivation.Inspiration

“Every father should remember that one day his son will follow his example instead of his advice”

BodyGroups

█▬█ I Bring It █▬█

█▬▬▬▬▬█ Family Strong
    ✞웃웃웃웃웃✞

Diesel31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Diesel31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Diesel31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Diesel31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Diesel31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Diesel31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Diesel31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Diesel31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Diesel31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Diesel31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Diesel31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    my carb source pwo is 3 pieces of ezekiel bread and a big ol' sweet potato. and of course a protein source (chicken for me)

pnd416b has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would agree, simple sugar. 1 teaspoon of raw honey would be a good option and there is some science to back up taking the simple sugar along with the protein, and it's not a bad idea to add a teaspoon of coconut oil as well due to the healthy sat fats.

pnd416b has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Diesel31 View Post
    my carb source pwo is 3 pieces of ezekiel bread and a big ol' sweet potato. and of course a protein source (chicken for me)
    I like your program....ezekiel bread or sprouted bread whole grain along with a sweet potato or some brown rice.