greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Shoulder DB lateral raise proper form

How high should the dumbbells go for proper form? I can feel my side delts working even when the dumbbells are at ears level. Is this too high?

Also, does it make any difference whether you are seated or do it standing?

mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mybody001 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i go to the point where my shoulders tell me to stop, not as high as other people's because i'm not as flexible.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Most people stop when the arm is parallel.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I also raise until my arms are parallel. Any higher than that and it becomes a trapezius exercise for me.

baby matty is on a distinguished road. (+10) baby matty is on a distinguished road. (+10) baby matty is on a distinguished road. (+10) baby matty is on a distinguished road. (+10) baby matty is on a distinguished road. (+10) baby matty is on a distinguished road. (+10) baby matty is on a distinguished road. (+10) baby matty is on a distinguished road. (+10) baby matty is on a distinguished road. (+10) baby matty is on a distinguished road. (+10) baby matty is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    parallel for me. i also like to use a light enough weight that i don't have to swing my body at all or use any momentum. try doing them sitting. i like to do the positive halkf of the rep very slow and controlled, with a short pause when my arms get to parallel. just be sure to emphasise perfect form and you will feel a great burn in your delt.

[[Insert title here]] superfunk's Avatar
    superfunk is just really nice. (+1000) superfunk is just really nice. (+1000) superfunk is just really nice. (+1000) superfunk is just really nice. (+1000) superfunk is just really nice. (+1000) superfunk is just really nice. (+1000) superfunk is just really nice. (+1000) superfunk is just really nice. (+1000) superfunk is just really nice. (+1000) superfunk is just really nice. (+1000) superfunk is just really nice. (+1000)
    You should also ask how low do the DB's go. Sometimes i start with the DB's touching in front. Other times i start with the DB's resting on the outside of my legs, feels completely different. It really makes my delts burn unlike the first method.
    "Governments don't want a population capable of critical thinking. They want obedient workers, people just smart enough to run the machines and just dumb enough to passively accept their situation" - George Carlin

djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Dang! I just realized that I was shrugging the weight up to much instead of keeping my shoulders down. what a difference.
    “You never won’t know what you can’t achieve until you don’t achieve it.”

Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by superfunk View Post
    You should also ask how low do the DB's go. Sometimes i start with the DB's touching in front. Other times i start with the DB's resting on the outside of my legs, feels completely different. It really makes my delts burn unlike the first method.
    While I can see how this would be different with cables, I don't understand how this would make an difference with DBs because gravity is pulling them down and thus wouldn't affect your shoulders. Please aware me if I'm missing something.

OP I raise them until my elbows are a little above my shoulders, with the amount of weight used for raises I would not think sitting or standing would matter.

good luck
    My workout log ---> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133269973

call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by greenleaf View Post
    How high should the dumbbells go for proper form? I can feel my side delts working even when the dumbbells are at ears level. Is this too high?

Also, does it make any difference whether you are seated or do it standing?
    I think it's easier to "cheat" if you are standing. If you are standing, there can be a tendency to do a mini squat, come up on your toes or extend the back while performing the reps, especially towards the end of the set. Sitting eliminates the mini squat and coming up on your toes part, though one can still lean back to assist in the concentric part of the movement. Even the slightest of cheat movements I have mentioned assist in raising the dumbbells. Overall I would say there is more focus on the delts when seated because of this reason.
    -Train outside your physical and mental comfort zone.

-The more you sweat in practice, the less you will bleed in battle.

-The skeleton of my workouts: 1) Foam roll/tennis ball. 2) mobility/corrective exercises.
    3) scapular, core and hip activation, 4) dynamic warm up. 5) Lift. 6) Energy System Training. 7) Stretch.

lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The traps come into it too much when you go above paralell so best off stopping there. Seated is better in my opinion as it helps reduce momentum coming into the lift.

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I felt my anterior delts better once I started going above my head level.

Memorial93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Memorial93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Memorial93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Memorial93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Memorial93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Memorial93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Memorial93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Memorial93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Memorial93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Memorial93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Memorial93 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    are your arms supposed to be totally straight for these or can the elbows have a little bend in them?

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Memorial93 View Post
    can the elbows have a little bend in them?
    Yes.

lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Memorial93 View Post
    are your arms supposed to be totally straight for these or can the elbows have a little bend in them?
    Have a look at blood and guts i feel theyre basically the perfect way. You might find out your own way but for me the way Dorian does them are the best.

djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by lancs_hotpot View Post
    Have a look at blood and guts i feel theyre basically the perfect way. You might find out your own way but for me the way Dorian does them are the best.
    is that a movie? how does he do them?
    “You never won’t know what you can’t achieve until you don’t achieve it.”

Memorial93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Memorial93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Memorial93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Memorial93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Memorial93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Memorial93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Memorial93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Memorial93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Memorial93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Memorial93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Memorial93 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by lancs_hotpot View Post
    And thats why I asked. I saw dorian do these and he does them with straight arms. I just can't go any higher than 20 lbs with dumbbells.

[[Insert title here]] superfunk's Avatar
    superfunk is just really nice. (+1000) superfunk is just really nice. (+1000) superfunk is just really nice. (+1000) superfunk is just really nice. (+1000) superfunk is just really nice. (+1000) superfunk is just really nice. (+1000) superfunk is just really nice. (+1000) superfunk is just really nice. (+1000) superfunk is just really nice. (+1000) superfunk is just really nice. (+1000) superfunk is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by superfunk View Post
    Originally Posted by Beachman View Post
    While I can see how this would be different with cables, I don't understand how this would make an difference with DBs because gravity is pulling them down and thus wouldn't affect your shoulders. Please aware me if I'm missing something.
    Next time you're in the gym try it out, i'm sure you'll feel a difference immediately. Ironically it won't be that different with cables as they have constant tension, it's DB's that feel really different because the shoulder tension is nil at the bottom and maxes at the top. If you start from the bottom its easy to introduce momentum into the movement, which isn't ideal.
    "Governments don't want a population capable of critical thinking. They want obedient workers, people just smart enough to run the machines and just dumb enough to passively accept their situation" - George Carlin