lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

db benching way more than with a barbell, why?

Can anyone give me a clue on why this is??? Im db benching with 125's for a solid 8 reps but my flat bench isn't as strong??? What could i be doing wrong??

ManInTheBox has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManInTheBox has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    i have the same problem.

after trying to figure it out, i decided...

who cares? as long as i'm pressing the weight, that's all that matters. what i figure is due to the greater range of motion with dumbbells, the fuller contraction allows your chest to contract greater and force more weight, and your chest is able to overpower your triceps and shoulders more with dumbbells than with barbell.
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 220

Deadlift: 405
    Bench: 255
    Squat: 365

If it's easy, it's pointless. That goes for eating too, keep eating, even when you think you can't eat anymore.

pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by lth View Post
    Can anyone give me a clue on why this is??? Im db benching with 125's for a solid 8 reps but my flat bench isn't as strong??? What could i be doing wrong??
    Its because your not going as low on the db bench as you are with the bb, and maybe your grip is wider on bb. Therefore your shoulders and triceps are stronger than your pecs.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What have you prioritized in your training regime?

For me, I almost never performed flat bench. Therefore, my incline BB and DB presses are comparably much higher.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post
    my incline BB and DB presses are comparably much higher.

It should be everyone's goal to incline bench more than they flat bench. This would further society greatly.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ******** TRAP BAR BOARD REP*******
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

---*No Hymen No Diamond Crew*---

Squats on the trampoline FatAzz's Avatar
    FatAzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatAzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatAzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatAzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatAzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatAzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatAzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatAzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatAzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatAzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatAzz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Weak triceps or shoulders

Do you workout with both dbs and barbell regularly ? Do you do the same range of motion for both ?

Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by RU4A69 View Post
    It should be everyone's goal to incline bench more than they flat bench. This would further society greatly.
    Hmmm.
    Interested in investing in militarizing poultry? Based in our Southernmost continent, no local taxes, no laws to worry about, guaranteed return! PM for further details

lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    no, not my shoulders or tri's man....my shoulders are easily my biggest and strongest asset, tri's are nice and full too....i do prioritize flat db presses incline and dipsb ecause the barbell puts unwanted stress on my shoulders, actually came down with the old bench pressers shoulder pretty bad a few years ago. I think pepingtom is correct in the statement that my shoulders and tri's overpower my chest badly, because i heave alot of weight with everything that doesn't directly involve my chest, as the same with incline, much stronger with db's than barbell....so having said all of that....what can i do to get my chest to match up to the strenth of my delts and tri's??

oh, i started doing partial reps with db's and started gaining alot of strenth, now i go full range with the same weight...barbell, im usually using more range of motion, so maybe try partial reps with barbell as well??

endogenous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endogenous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endogenous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endogenous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endogenous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endogenous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endogenous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endogenous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endogenous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endogenous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endogenous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by pepingtom View Post
    Its because your not going as low on the db bench as you are with the bb.

that's my guess too.
    consistency is king.

Dac_10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dac_10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dac_10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dac_10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dac_10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dac_10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dac_10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dac_10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dac_10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dac_10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dac_10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    wow this is really crazy cause my barbell bench is way more than my dumbell. with the bench i can get my shoulders in their too, and the bar is easier to stabalise.

khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Dac_10 View Post
    wow this is really crazy cause my barbell bench is way more than my dumbell. with the bench i can get my shoulders in their too, and the bar is easier to stabalise.
    the reason the OP made a post asking the question is because it was abnormal. you, my friend, are average.

Dac_10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dac_10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dac_10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dac_10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dac_10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dac_10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dac_10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dac_10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dac_10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dac_10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dac_10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by khajja View Post
    the reason the OP made a post asking the question is because it was abnormal. you, my friend, are average.
    ye true. never thought of that, i have no explanation for it either.

pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    oh, i started doing partial reps with db's and started gaining alot of strenth, now i go full range with the same weight...barbell, im usually using more range of motion, so maybe try partial reps with barbell as well??
    Put bb bench ahead of db bench and only do the bottom 3/4 of bb bench rom.

hey guys, thanks for all the input....i guess i'll just have to do what you said pepingtom, it worked for gaining strength with db presses so i'll give it a shot here... i mean my bench isn't weak but its not were it should be, just seems weird that my strength has soared with everything else except that, i've been doing 265 for 3 reps for about a year now, nothing worse than being stuck in a rut like that for so long, thanks for the input guys.