LinusVanPelt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LinusVanPelt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LinusVanPelt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LinusVanPelt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LinusVanPelt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LinusVanPelt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LinusVanPelt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LinusVanPelt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LinusVanPelt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LinusVanPelt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LinusVanPelt is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Barbell and Dumbell bench on the same day?

I've always separated them, but wondered if there's any benefit to doing them on the same day.

For example:

Flat Bench: 3 sets
    DB Bench: 3 sets
    Incline Bench: 3 sets
    Decline Bench: 3 sets
    Flies: 3 sets

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by LinusVanPelt View Post
    I've always separated them, but wondered if there's any benefit to doing them on the same day.

For example:

Flat Bench: 3 sets
    Incline Bench: 3 sets
    Decline Bench: 3 sets
    Flies: 3 sets
    Not really. It would be more beneficial to just do more sets of one, and then alternate with the next workout and do the other.
    Time To Re-Schedule

genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Tyrbolift View Post
    Not really. It would be more beneficial to just do more sets of one, and then alternate with the next workout and do the other.
    x2 is redundant, no real benefit at all
    The body is lazy, unless you give it a reason to grow it won't

Tho I walk thru the valley of the shadow of Death I shall fear no evil, for I am the baddest motherf*cker in the valley

I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds - Henry Rollins

NASM-CPT-CES
    Nutrition Coach

YogieO is on a distinguished road. (+10) YogieO is on a distinguished road. (+10) YogieO is on a distinguished road. (+10) YogieO is on a distinguished road. (+10) YogieO is on a distinguished road. (+10) YogieO is on a distinguished road. (+10) YogieO is on a distinguished road. (+10) YogieO is on a distinguished road. (+10) YogieO is on a distinguished road. (+10) YogieO is on a distinguished road. (+10) YogieO is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I do:
    Flat Bench: 5x5
    Incline Barbell: 3 sets
    Dips: 3 sets

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I have been doing it some lately..using bench as my main (powerlifting) move and using db bench for assistance

one consideration for long term gains is that u cant just use the same moves year 'round. U have to alternate and use other moves.

for that reason you cant use all the "good exercises" at one time. U have to hold some back to use later.

So I think one method is to use these 2 basic setups as the base of your chest workouts

bb bench
    inc db

for around 8 weeks or so then switch to

bb incline bench
    flat db

if u use...

flat bench
    db bench
    incline bench
    decline bench

...what will u switch to when your body gets totally adapted to those exercises??
    "Humility comes before honor"

solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100)
    It's good way to make sure you're not favoring one arm over the other, but really don't need to be done together.

Registered User mardydagymjunky's Avatar
    mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    the biggest guy in my gym does both on the same day and he's a monster, lifted 220kg for a single. so it cant be that bad for strength or mass, small excercise choices arnt going to make a huge amount of differnce to ur physqiue so long as ur working each area with solid compounds, concentrate on getting ur food/protein intake upto scratch, and finding out what volume works best for u will help add the most mass to ur physique.
    Get big or die trying.

Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    When I was stuck for awhile on 185 for my bench max and doing the same reps for my high rep sets I started to do DB Flat on the same day as my BB Flat. My DB Flat went up from 55 x 8 to 70 x 6 in less then a month. My BB Flat Max went from 185 to 200 (yes put the 2.5's on to get to the big 200).

I saw great gains doing them in the same day. Sadly my gym for this 2nd semester doesnt have dumbells heavier then 45 pounds so I dont do them as much. I still do high rep incline with the dumbells here but definitely miss my flat dumbell bench press..

Registered User Big Arm Big Pay's Avatar
    Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    u should just do more for your inner chest like cables crossovers and butterflies
    Workout log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=454246811#post454246811

"Dude...there are ALWAYS ninjas. You just can't see them." - HardGainer82, Clark Kent, WishmasterATM, BPP, poopoo333, JOSEF RAKICH

Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000)
    To get both DB and BB in a single chest day, I like to do like BB bench and then DB incline. Or vice versa. Just my 2 cents.
    PhD in Broscience from Misc U.

met-enkephalinaholic Pridehurtsform's Avatar
    Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i do 3 sets of flat barbell
    3 sets of dumbell
    and 3 sets of weighted dips
    BS in molecular biochemistry
    NASM certified personal trainer
    bench: 315
    squat: 365
    deads: 415
    video thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162544341&p=1258712431#post1258712431

"it's better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    everyone compares db and bb presses. Actually they are pretty different. DB presses are WAY more tricep and they are closer to close grip bench than to regular grip press.

at least the way I do them. I have seen some people do db press where they hold the dbells way out wide...I have no clue how they do that
    "Humility comes before honor"

met-enkephalinaholic Pridehurtsform's Avatar
    Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by John Prophet View Post
    everyone compares db and bb presses. Actually they are pretty different. DB presses are WAY more tricep and they are closer to close grip bench than to regular grip press.

at least the way I do them. I have seen some people do db press where they hold the dbells way out wide...I have no clue how they do that
    it's the exact opposite for me. especially when i squeeze my chest together when i touch the dumbells together.
    BS in molecular biochemistry
    NASM certified personal trainer
    bench: 315
    squat: 365
    deads: 415
    video thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162544341&p=1258712431#post1258712431

"it's better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"