Geneticssuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Geneticssuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Geneticssuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Geneticssuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Geneticssuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Geneticssuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lightbulb Modified 5x5 routine

I have been stuck at 168lbs for about 7 months. I know that most will insist I am not eating enough but I can vouch for about 3200 calories a day (with the odd exception) so it cannot be the food.

Workouts have consisted of 3 a week splitting the body into push, pull and legs. Most sets to failure. About 6-8 sets per body part. I am getting NOWHERE fast. So.........

I have decided to trust the old timers who insist that to get big you have to use the big lifts and that if you avoid training to failure you can lift more than once a week for each body part. I liked the look of the 5x5 method but have decided to modify it (which should tick off hard core lifters) in order to deal with my weekly schedule.

I am going to do the following:

Mon: Bench
    Squat
    Deadlift (all 5 sets of 6-8 reps, ramping up, not to failure)

Wed: Military Press
    Dips
    Barbell Curls (same as above)

Friday: Bench
    Squat
    Barbell Row (same as above)

I still wanted some direct bicep work as well as shoulder work and wanted to avoid squatting 3x a week which I believe would be too much for me. Otherwise I will follow the progression outlined in the Starr method and see where it goes. Basically, I want to put on some muscle , period. I am sick of getting nowhere with my current routine and this is simple, progressive and different than the method that has failed me.

Wish me luck all, I am tired of being small after what seems like soooooo much work.

never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you're truly going heavy -- even if not to failure -- I'd be suspect of squats and deadlifts on the same day.
    --N2L

Geneticssuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Geneticssuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Geneticssuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Geneticssuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Geneticssuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Geneticssuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by never2late
    If you're truly going heavy -- even if not to failure -- I'd be suspect of squats and deadlifts on the same day.
    Yup, after considering this a bit I have decided to drop the deadlift from squat days and do it on the Wednesday instead. Thanks for the tip.

I have to say that my main motivation to try this routine was the fact that while my upper body looks somewhat decent I am like most skinny guys---I have pathetic legs. I admit to being a puss about squats and have only used leg presses and hack squats in the past. This program stresses squats and limits secondary excercises and allows me to keep it simple.

Bottom line is I want to pack on lower body mass.

never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Actually there are a few pros that do not do squats -- due to having spinal fusion surgery. Bob C from bb.com is one. So there are alternative ways of getting and maintaining legs (if you don't like squats).

I have long, lean legs -- even when I was over 300 pounds they were lean (all torso weight). At 50, they're probably going to stay long and lean.

I think you'll be happy separating your squats and deads. To be honest, I can't fathom how anyone has anything left over for ANY additional work on deadlift day. Deadlift day for me is precisely that and that alone: deadlift day. By the end, I'm just staring rather blankly until I recoup. I can't picture moving on to any other work at all. Deadlift day is pretty quick, but intense.
    --N2L

Originally Posted by never2late
    Actually there are a few pros that do not do squats -- due to having spinal fusion surgery. Bob C from bb.com is one. So there are alternative ways of getting and maintaining legs (if you don't like squats).

I have long, lean legs -- even when I was over 300 pounds they were lean (all torso weight). At 50, they're probably going to stay long and lean.

I think you'll be happy separating your squats and deads. To be honest, I can't fathom how anyone has anything left over for ANY additional work on deadlift day. Deadlift day for me is precisely that and that alone: deadlift day. By the end, I'm just staring rather blankly until I recoup. I can't picture moving on to any other work at all. Deadlift day is pretty quick, but intense.
    I have no problem with squats, they just drain me and I have avoided them for the most part.

As for the deadlifts, this particular routine is based upon a linear progression program that involves working up to my actual max lift over four weeks and then taking it further for as many weeks as I can. I will rarely hit failure and am allowing for a 3-5 minute rest between sets when they get truly heavy. I have felt for a long time that I have a body that does not recover properly from lifting to failure and that, coupled with the lack of free weight use and true progression has really limited my growth.

The one weird factor is that this program involves using weights that I can easily lift as part of the progression and not going to failure feels strange.

I will post each week.

Update:

I am into the second week of 5x5 and I must say that this is such a refreshing way to train.

I am learning to love squats, deads and bench pressing. Not going to failure initially felt weird but I already feel fuller and less tired. I really think that there are those of us for whom training even to positive failure quickly burns us out and halts gains due to nervous system fatigue.

ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Geneticssuck
    I have been stuck at 168lbs for about 7 months. I know that most will insist I am not eating enough but I can vouch for about 3200 calories a day (with the odd exception) so it cannot be the food.
    Maybe I am missing something here but if you want to gain weight and you aren't it is absolutely about the food. There's nothing magical about 3200 calories. Apparently, that's maintenance for you.

Changing your training protocol may give you better hypertrophy (or not), but it won't cause your weight to change.

Originally Posted by dbflgirl
    Maybe I am missing something here but if you want to gain weight and you aren't it is absolutely about the food. There's nothing magical about 3200 calories. Apparently, that's maintenance for you.

Changing your training protocol may give you better hypertrophy (or not), but it won't cause your weight to change.
    Well, I guess I have to agree. To a degree. I have hoped to put on more muscle without fat gain but it looks like my diet has really lacked any fat intake and I understand now that this impacts testosterone and ,naturally, caloric intake. I have upped my caloric intake to about 3800 the last 5 days--frankly I am hungrier doing this type of workout for some reason.

When I stared lifting (about 14 months ago) I weighed 134 lbs so I have done well for my frame. I dream of being about 185-190. I am going to give this routine an 8-10 week go and expect to put on a few pounds of muscle.

bassdreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bassdreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bassdreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bassdreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bassdreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bassdreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bassdreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bassdreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bassdreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bassdreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bassdreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Definately separate your squat day from your deadlift day. Also, if you do HEAVY squats and increase your protein intake, your musculature will increase. When you get done with squat day, going up one flight of stairs should be scarry. Also, the 5X5 will allow you to go up in pounds thus increasing your strength.

When you say 3200 calories-what is it made up of? If you want to be 185lbs, then about 1000 calories should be protein at least. When I was skinny (and before they had all the fancy supplements) I drank 1 gallon of whole milk, and ate one dozen eggs per day. That got things up in a hurry. I am sure other people have better nutritional advice, but make sure you eat enough protein to get the muscles going.

Originally Posted by bassdreamer
    Definately separate your squat day from your deadlift day. Also, if you do HEAVY squats and increase your protein intake, your musculature will increase. When you get done with squat day, going up one flight of stairs should be scarry. Also, the 5X5 will allow you to go up in pounds thus increasing your strength.

When you say 3200 calories-what is it made up of? If you want to be 185lbs, then about 1000 calories should be protein at least. When I was skinny (and before they had all the fancy supplements) I drank 1 gallon of whole milk, and ate one dozen eggs per day. That got things up in a hurry. I am sure other people have better nutritional advice, but make sure you eat enough protein to get the muscles going.
    The calories include about 250 grams (or more) of protein which is about right. I am also trying to include some fat in every meal other than pre and post workout --mostly good fats but there is a benefit to all fats. I cannot drink milk--lactose intolerant and it triggers an allergic reaction (stuffed up, congestion) so I replace it with soy milk.

I cannot imagine eating more than I am now--god, the eating is actually more work than the workouts!!! My girlfriend thinks I am nuts. Okay, off to my deadlift day. Thanks for all the input.

Okay, done two weeks.

Overall, I love this program for its simplicity. Learning to LOVE squats, never thought i would say that.

I am visibly bigger already or at least fuller looking (maybe my recovery is improved since I am no longer doing 8-10 sets to failure for every body part).

I am toying with the idea of turning a set or two on light days into a high rep scheme.

I am not doing measurements or weighing myself--I use the mirror for progress since what I really care about is how I look. My goal is to actually LOOK like I work out!

rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up

Just chiming in as someone who has been following the Starr\Madcow 5x5 routine for the past 7 weeks. Previous to this, I had done a standard BB type split, and a few cycles of HST.

I had done a lot of reading on this program, the 5x5 you have listed here, and decided to give it a go, like I said, 7 weeks ago. My results so far have been nothing short of amazing, to myself at least, and frankly, I'm pissed at myself for not starting something like this a year ago. I had fallen prey to the "high reps, only work a body part once a week" type of thinking that you see blown around so often on many different sites.

Long story short, I am hooked on this type of routine. My strength has skyrocketed, and I'm growing quite nicely all over. I'm following the program "by the book" so to speak, but admit to having added a little calf work, and some additional shoulder work on off days. I thought in the beginning squatting 3 times a week was going to kill me, but for some reason it's not. I'm not saying it's easy, but I'm loving it more and more every week. (Must be my sadistic side coming out, LOL).

I do, as you have stated here, have a huge increase in appetite while training this way, and seem to be able to "maintain" wait, on upwards of 3200 calories. (I'm 38 years old, 5'11", and currently weight between 195 and 200lbs). Kind of funny, as I started a Keto diet a few weeks ago in an effort to shed a little fat for summer, and I just keep eating more, LOL. The strength and size increases from the program are just too hard to give up, and I'm afraid that cutting calories too much is going to slow down my progress. I'm actually thinking of pushing toward 4500 per day just to see what happens, hehe. (Eh screw losing weight, there's always next year to "cut")

Anway, good luck with the routine, sounds like you are making some decent progress already.
    Steve

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    - Dr. Seuss

Body like a stone, mind like a meatloaf.
    - Eric Cartman

Wow, Rotlex, your experience has me even more enthused about this type of program.

It makes me wonder just who on earth is growing on the usual routines as outlined everywhere on this site? Are you going to try the advanced routine soon or are you going to continue the linear routine for more cycles?

Again, thanks for your input--here is to seeing real results from hard work!!

rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000)
    Are you going to try the advanced routine soon or are you going to continue the linear routine for more cycles?

Again, thanks for your input--here is to seeing real results from hard work!!
    Thanks for the comments. I think I'm going to do another round, at least, of the intermediate routine. Seems to be working well. Once I feel I'm no longer making "progress" with it, I'll move to the advanced, and the periodization stuff.
    Steve

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    - Dr. Seuss

- Eric Cartman

30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'll throw my .02 in. Ok youve been training at least more than 7 months cause this is how long you have been stuck right?

So diet first. Most pros will tell you it should be accounted for more that 50% of your physiques success. I dont care what your calorie intake is....but if your trying to gain size you need to be putting food (protein) in your mouth every 3 hours,,,and for a hard gainer more like every 2 hours. I assume your a hard gainer as indicated by what your screeen name says and the 7 month plateau. Ok relaize that very few people who are attempting to put on size can do so without putting on some additional bodyfat as well. Its jsut the way it goes. I would guess its possible to add just pure muscle but it would come even slower than one would hope or expect and to date I have never seen it done. A simple way to add calories that are clean in the form of protein in between larger meals for the least amount of cash and the most easy way is to carry those cans of tuna that dont require a can opener or those tear off puches, or carry a couple of water bottles with some whey protein in them dry and add H20 when you need, or even hard boiled eggs carry with you.

Now training. I personally think the plans you like and have mapped out are more geared towards pure novices that are usually teens and respond to anything, and or are used by atheletes looking to be more strong than big. Me, when I was training people I gave multiple body part routines for people who are not looking to grow, high school and college athletes looking to gain strength etc. But if your looking to put on mass, you want to see your muscles grow right, forget the scale cause who cares how much you weigh, right. I d rather look like 230 lbs of solid shaped muscle that look like a blocky football player of 250 lbs of not so pretty muscle right? Body building is about aesthtics, not weight. Its not wrestling where how much you weigh counts, it how much you look like you weight that counts. So my suggestion on a work out.... I wont say what to d,o but I will say not to do. 5 rep sets for legs are only gonna increase strength but they will not give you a lot of size. I want size second to strength, and think you would too. If you are not squatting you are missing the most important exercise of all the weeks work outs. Learn to love to hate the SQUAT..PERIOD! Dead lifts are great to be strong, but wreck the rest of the weeks workout due to sore erectors; I just dont think they are necessary, and again inhibit the rest of the weeks body parts efficiency ( i see more injuries in the gym that are long lasting and permanent from dead lifts than any other exercise beside behind the neck barbell presses). Finally I dont think 5 sets is enough for any one body part to intitiate muscle hypertrophy. I think for small muscle groups like bi's, traps, calves, and forarms 6-10 is optimum for most, more towards 6-8. Medium size groups like triceps I would look to 8-12 sets depending on heaviness...I like to go heavy on tris and usually Im fried at 9 sets. All other body parts I would go for 10-14 sets, with the exception of legs that IMO respond best to light to moderate weight for higher reps I beleive one can go 12-16 sets for legs. All of these body parts IMO... for someone who is not on any "muscule enhancing products" should only be trained once every 5 days max with a sixth and preferably seveth day of rest (proven research it takes up to 72 hours for a muscle to fully recouperate from training; and if you sqaut a lot, sometimes it has taken me the full 5 days). Only with arm work, calves, forarms and traps would I sugest doing up to 2x a week. You are not a novice anymore as most people who have been consistent enough in their work out to hit a plateau, but saw gains before....to me thats not a novice...and doing a work out that does several different body parts in one day,,, thats a novice work out plan IMO. Finally and lots of people will disagree with me on this..but I dont think the whole push pull method is always smart. Lots of people think Ill do back and bis and chest and tris together. If you must do body parts together I would suggest chest and shoulders together #1...because you work your shoulders much more than any other muscle when doing chest...and you have all this blood in your chest....why you gonna make it all leave that area to travel to your tris....its already in your anterior and lateral delt so dont make it shift completey from one area of the body completely to the other. The back has so many muscles and layers of long, thin muscles.....and upper and lower back are turely so far seaprated...it takes so long to hit it all ..I suggest giving back a day for itself, and if anything do traps on back day as trap muscle go all the way down to the 10th thoracic vertebral region making them cover more back area than shoulder!. Now legs definately desreve their own day...If you can even think about doing another completely different body part after legs, may I suggest your not training them hard enough...as leg day should leave you more spent than any other day of the week in the gym. Finally I like bis and tri together...#1 the pump of the bis act as a good cushion for the elbow when doing tris, and #2 the blood doesnt have to travel far and leave those pumped bis to get to the tris. Finally if you have never tried doing them together I suggest everyone gives it a shot...;you will get the pump of your life for your arms...they will look bigger than you have ever seen, with both the front and back of the upper arm gorged with blood simultaneously, and your tris will be so much stronger for heavy lifts having done bis first.

JMO..hope you get some ideas from it. Good luck with breaking your plateau!

30 A rider:

Thanks for your input--man, you really went to town!

You are absolutely right about the diet part. I am eating every two hours , lots of protein and carbs and not too fussy about fat intake since it is needed to ensure testoterone levels. In fact, I am putting on a little fat around the belly already along with some obvious muscle size. It is the price you pay for trying to gain size and I tried to avoid it previously.

As for the training being novice, this program is geared for an intermediate lifter. I have done routines almost exactly as you outlined and hit a plateau. I have done alot of research before settling on the 5x5 and felt that since I am not genetically gifted a very basic routine grounded in compounds and that allowed for easily mapped out progression would at the very least not hurt and at best add lots of muscle.

If you search the site you will find a ton of people who were not novices who gave this routine a shot and were astounded at the progress they made. Just two weeks into my program and I am truly growing like never before. You have to factor in that this is not 5x5 sets to failure, its sets that ramp up to predetermined weights and you hit your max in 4 weeks or so and then slowly add small increments over another 4 weeks or so. Once you are really stuck you reset at a lower max, take a short break and cycle again.

Muscle is muscle. I am not going to look like a football player just because I am doing power movements. The bodybuilding look is from diet---take a good look at off season bodybuilders and they look nothing like their on stage posing. All that detail is from low body fat and lack of water retention due to diet alterations. First though , you need to add the muscle and that is what this program does.

You probably respond to the type of workout you outlined which is awesome. I am recovering very quickly on this routine, growing already, feel and look fuller and people have (for the first time ever!) made comments about my muscularity. I would not do this program forever--but damn near!

Thanks again for taking the time to encourage me, I really love this forum.

Well, done week 3:

I have continued to love this workout program and am pumped to get to each workout.

I have officially gained 4 pounds (caved in a weighed myself). My legs are growing but my upper body is exploding--why is it that my upper body is outpacing my legs by so much? I am squatting 3 times a week for gods sake.

My 5 rep max for week 4 (all excercises) is on pace to be 5lbs more than I calculated. I am pretty sure I can keep the PR going for at least 4 more weeks if not more. I hope that my leg growth picks up though. I am going to add a high rep set on Wednesdays (light day) , not to failure but at least 10 reps to provide a pump set or two.

I cannot recommend the 5x5 program enough. If you are someone who has been in a long rut growth wise you will be surprised at how quickly this works.

BoiseLifer is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoiseLifer is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoiseLifer is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoiseLifer is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoiseLifer is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoiseLifer is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoiseLifer is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoiseLifer is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoiseLifer is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoiseLifer is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoiseLifer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey Genetics, I have been reading your post. I have been debating whether to start this 5x5 program. I'm just trying to understand how to do the weight progression. For example, my bench 4 rep max is around 215 lbs. According to the xcel sheet provided by Bill Starr, I would start out my first week benching 100 lbs 5 x 5...is that correct? That's seems awfully light. Then on top of that, I only increase by 2-3 lbs a week (according to the xcel sheet). If you could shed some light on this, maybe I am understanding the program wrong.

Thanks!!
    2/27/2010 - 1 Mile: 9:46 mins. (I will gradually work this # down to 6-7 mins)

Past SS Lifts:
    Deads: 325 lbs 1x4
    Squats: 255 lbs 3x5
    Bench: 215 lbs 3x5
    Press: 120 lbs 3x5

Originally Posted by BoiseLifer
    Hey Genetics, I have been reading your post. I have been debating whether to start this 5x5 program. I'm just trying to understand how to do the weight progression. For example, my bench 4 rep max is around 215 lbs. According to the xcel sheet provided by Bill Starr, I would start out my first week benching 100 lbs 5 x 5...is that correct? That's seems awfully light. Then on top of that, I only increase by 2-3 lbs a week (according to the xcel sheet). If you could shed some light on this, maybe I am understanding the program wrong.

Thanks!!
    Okay, I ignored the excel sheet myself! I basically took my 5 rep max for each compound movement and worked backwards--took 2.5% off, 4 times to represent the first 4 weeks of the program. You would ideally hit your 5rep max by the 4th week. Your calculation looks strange since 2.5% of 100lbs would only mean you would be hitting about 110lbs at week 4---now , I am not sure if you meant that 100lbs was your first set or you final set of 5. Remember, the sets are ramped up not static weight levels.

Gotta go but I will add to this later.

BoiseLifer is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoiseLifer is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoiseLifer is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoiseLifer is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoiseLifer is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoiseLifer is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoiseLifer is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoiseLifer is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoiseLifer is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoiseLifer is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoiseLifer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey Genetics,
    I finally figured it out after reading everything. ha haa Imagine that. =) Anyway, I was going to wait until monday but I am starting tomorrow instead! I can't wait. Today was supposed to be leg day si I figured I would just move legs to tomorrow and start this 5x5 program. Anyway here is what I have so far...

I am 5'10, 174, around 11% bf.

Starting Lifts -
    Squat: 215 x 5
    Bench: 205 x 5
    Row: 145 x 5
    Deads: 205 x 5
    Military: 125 x 5

Mondays workout will be:

Squat:
    5 x 100, 5 x 125, 5 x 149, 5 x 174, 5 x 199

Bench:
    5 x 95, 5 x 119, 5 x 143, 5 x 166, 5 x 190

Row:
    5 x 67, 5 x 84, 5 x 101, 5 x 118, 5 x 134

I will use the "additional" exercises at the end to do what my body is feeling like...like weighted dips, calf raises, db side raises etc. This way I have some breathing room and freedom and I will follow the xcel stuff for the base lifts.

Past SS Lifts:

Originally Posted by BoiseLifer
    Hey Genetics,
    I finally figured it out after reading everything. ha haa Imagine that. =) Anyway, I was going to wait until monday but I am starting tomorrow instead! I can't wait. Today was supposed to be leg day si I figured I would just move legs to tomorrow and start this 5x5 program. Anyway here is what I have so far...

I am 5'10, 174, around 11% bf.

Starting Lifts -
    Squat: 215 x 5
    Bench: 205 x 5
    Row: 145 x 5
    Deads: 205 x 5
    Military: 125 x 5

Mondays workout will be:

Squat:
    5 x 100, 5 x 125, 5 x 149, 5 x 174, 5 x 199

Bench:
    5 x 95, 5 x 119, 5 x 143, 5 x 166, 5 x 190

Row:
    5 x 67, 5 x 84, 5 x 101, 5 x 118, 5 x 134

I will use the "additional" exercises at the end to do what my body is feeling like...like weighted dips, calf raises, db side raises etc. This way I have some breathing room and freedom and I will follow the xcel stuff for the base lifts.
    Looks great! Remember you will not even approach failure until the last set of the 4th week (heavy day) so do not be surprised that you feel that you have not done enough the first few weeks. Frankly, its a great period to ensure your form is perfect so that when you are hitting your max and beyond you are not at risk for injury.

I am absolutely convinced that this program and variations of it work for a number reasons:

1. Use of failure is extremely limited. I do not care what anyone says, failure is just that for guys like me--I fail to make any gains. It is hard to see this when you start bodybuilding since virtually any type of program will cause you to grow, but there are thousands of us who hit the wall very quickly and rather than working smarter, we work harder and spin our wheels.

2. Working body parts more than once a week. The concensus is slowly building on this point. Once a week is done only because of the belief that you need to do 10, 15 or 20 sets per body part with alot of isolation movements (and of course all done to failure!). This is nonsense. You want to stimulate growth, not devastate your muscles and nervous system. Now, if you are on steroids go ahead and do whatever the hell you want I guess but for the rest of us this approach is dumb.

3. Compound movements. The best part about them is that they stimulate all of the wonderful testosterone and growth hormone we are looking for to grow. I love them because there is always the potential for new records whereas with something like concentration curls or laterals you will quickly hit your max and have one hell of a time adding weight and progression is what its about here.

I am putting back about 3600-3800 calories a day which is vital. That means 5 meals of about 750 calories each. Lots of protein and carbs, do not worry about fat unless it is the pre or post workout meal. Forget test boosters and all of that useless crap. This workout boosts test better than any of them combined and free of charge. I wish I had known this several hundred dollars ago!!!

I must say , you are stonger than I am at about the same size (I am 5, 11 and now 172lbs) so I bet you will really benefit from this program. My sense is that given some patience and dedication I can hit 185 with fairly low body fat.

My goal to complete at least 2 cycles of this program and then consider the advanced. Mind you, if this is still working I will carry on. Keep posting as I am eager to hear how you are doing and learn from your experience as well.

Thumbs up

Looks great! Remember you will not even approach failure until the last set of the 4th week (heavy day) so do not be surprised that you feel that you have not done enough the first few weeks. Frankly, its a great period to ensure your form is perfect so that when you are hitting your max and beyond you are not at risk for injury.

I am absolutely convinced that this program and variations of it work for a number reasons:

1. Use of failure is extremely limited. I do not care what anyone says, failure is just that for guys like me--I fail to make any gains. It is hard to see this when you start bodybuilding since virtually any type of program will cause you to grow, but there are thousands of us who hit the wall very quickly and rather than working smarter, we work harder and spin our wheels.

2. Working body parts more than once a week. The concensus is slowly building on this point. Once a week is done only because of the belief that you need to do 10, 15 or 20 sets per body part with alot of isolation movements (and of course all done to failure!). This is nonsense. You want to stimulate growth, not devastate your muscles and nervous system. Now, if you are on steroids go ahead and do whatever the hell you want I guess but for the rest of us this approach is dumb.

3. Compound movements. The best part about them is that they stimulate all of the wonderful testosterone and growth hormone we are looking for to grow. I love them because there is always the potential for new records whereas with something like concentration curls or laterals you will quickly hit your max and have one hell of a time adding weight and progression is what its about here.

I am putting back about 3600-3800 calories a day which is vital. That means 5 meals of about 750 calories each. Lots of protein and carbs, do not worry about fat unless it is the pre or post workout meal. Forget test boosters and all of that useless crap. This workout boosts test better than any of them combined and free of charge. I wish I had known this several hundred dollars ago!!!

I must say , you are stonger than I am at about the same size (I am 5, 11 and now 172lbs) so I bet you will really benefit from this program. My sense is that given some patience and dedication I can hit 185 with fairly low body fat.

My goal to complete at least 2 cycles of this program and then consider the advanced. Mind you, if this is still working I will carry on. Keep posting as I am eager to hear how you are doing and learn from your experience as well.
    Wow, I really could not have said it better myself! Good post, and I pretty much agree 110% with what was said! (Mainly as I have experienced nothing but success since moving toward this type of program)
    Steve

- Dr. Seuss

- Eric Cartman

I agree with Rotlex...GREAT post Genetics! Yeah, I am really excited to get started on this. I am fighting the urge to head to the gym right now and start but I have to go into work and take care of some stuff. ha haa So I will have to settle for mentally prepping myself until then. =)

I think I will do pretty well. I still think I have some newbie gains left in me yet. I only have 12 weeks of working out so I figure I have another solid 12 weeks of newbie gains.

I actually set my 5 rep maxes a tad lower than actual. I figure it best to start a bit low to be safe. That way, like you said, I can work on form etc. I have a log in the over 35 journal section if you want to keep track of how things are coming along. I will definetely be checking back here to see you you are doing. The diet I have set up is to take in about 3600 calories in workout days and 2600 calories on non-workout days.

Here's to packing on the muscle!! =)

Past SS Lifts:

End of Week 4. Some observations:

1. Even with a simple program there is room for error. The main issue for me has been a tendency to "squeeze" the weights for the ramping sets--in other words I found myself thinking that each set should progress and I was doing too much weight for the first set or two. I will correct this since it could lead to over training.

2. I am stronger than I "think". For instance my calculated 5 rep max for squats ended up being fairly easy and I believe I could have done about 15lbs more! No problem really since I can adjust next week. Also, the mind is a funny thing. After doing my set of 3 reps today to test for next weeks max on the bench press I went to remove the plates and I had accidently put 10lbs more than intended! So there you go, not knowing I was way over my target weight and I still did it without losing form.

3. Higher reps for the middle workout helps with the monotony of sets of 5. The key is to do only 3 sets since at 10 reps the load is actually higher overall so doing 5 sets would be dangerous recovery wise.

4. My arms are growing with VERY little actual arm work per week. It appears that the squats benches and rows actually DO generate an overall growth response.

5. As stated before, I find the eating to be more work than the workouts! My schedule is tight and if were not for protein drinks (muscle milk is king) I would not be able to get my calories.

Upward and onward.