Registered User GettingInShape2's Avatar
    GettingInShape2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GettingInShape2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GettingInShape2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GettingInShape2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GettingInShape2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

For 3 months I've been eating 1700 calories per day. WTF happened?

Since November I've been eating around 1700 calories per day. I am 5'10 and during the start I weighed 188 pounds and now weigh 173 so I lost 15 pounds in 3 months and literally 1 pound per week. I've done it in a healthy fashion because I haven't lost muscle and only gained in strength.

I hit a plateau and didn't lose any weight for 2 weeks straight so the past 2 weeks I've been doing an "experiment" and basically had about 3 cheat meals per week and increased my portions. I'd imagine I averaged 2000+ calories per day. I checked my weight today and I have stayed the exact same weight after 2 weeks straight of eating more.

Does that mean that my metabolism increased? At 1700 calories I stopped losing weight and at 2000 calories I didn't gain any weight and stayed the same. Does that mean that my metabolism increased and now if I go back to around 1700 calories per week, I should lose weight again? Did my metabolism permanently increase or is the effects only temporary?

SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If 1700 was a defecit for you and you were losing weight, i would assume around 2000 (maybe a lil more) would be the level it takes you to maintain, and that you did. If you drop it again it could have been the plateau buster you needed, but usually if i cycle my calories and eat real high a day or so, i'm back in fat burning mode.

Marco90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marco90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marco90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marco90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marco90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marco90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marco90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marco90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marco90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marco90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marco90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Im sorry to be so direct but you fuc*ed up like everyone else, what the hell is up with eating 1700 calories?!? Thats why ur metabolism is now messed up. Yes you hit plateu, hard

SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Marco90 View Post
    Im sorry to be so direct but you fuc*ed up like everyone else, what the hell is up with eating 1700 calories?!? Thats why ur metabolism is now messed up. Yes you hit plateu, hard
    Yeah, actually good point, i didn't even take into account his height and weight, considering I lose weight at 1700 calories...

Marco90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marco90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marco90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marco90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marco90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marco90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marco90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marco90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marco90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marco90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marco90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by FameGirl View Post
    Yeah, actually good point, i didn't even take into account his height and weight, considering I lose weight at 1700 calories...
    Of course, small frame female body such as yourself, 1700 is considered "healthy" for cutting, but not for a 5'9 190lb guy, i did the same mistake, and i REGRET IT, lost ALL my muscle (not all my strengt thought)

badger6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) badger6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) badger6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) badger6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) badger6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) badger6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) badger6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) badger6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) badger6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) badger6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) badger6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Of course, small frame female body such as yourself, 1700 is considered "healthy" for cutting, but not for a 5'9 190lb guy, i did the same mistake, and i REGRET IT, lost ALL my muscle (not all my strengt thought)
    So how many calories would be considered "healthy" for maximum cutting for 188 lbs @ 6'0 ?

Registered User GettingInShape2's Avatar
    GettingInShape2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GettingInShape2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GettingInShape2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GettingInShape2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GettingInShape2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    http://www.fitwatch.com/qkcalc/bmr.html

http://walking.about.com/cs/calories/l/blcalcalc.htm

According to BMR calculators, my BMR is 1850. Add 400 since I lift 3 times a week (moderately active) so that equals 2250 calories that I need. Subtract 500 per day (500 per day times 7 days = 3500 calories = 1 pound lost per week). That equals 1700 calories that I should be eating per day. Unless my calculations are wrong?

Registered User NamesAreHardToPick's Avatar
    NamesAreHardToPick will become famous soon enough. (+50) NamesAreHardToPick will become famous soon enough. (+50) NamesAreHardToPick will become famous soon enough. (+50) NamesAreHardToPick will become famous soon enough. (+50) NamesAreHardToPick will become famous soon enough. (+50) NamesAreHardToPick will become famous soon enough. (+50) NamesAreHardToPick will become famous soon enough. (+50) NamesAreHardToPick will become famous soon enough. (+50) NamesAreHardToPick will become famous soon enough. (+50) NamesAreHardToPick will become famous soon enough. (+50) NamesAreHardToPick will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I agree with the above. According to almost every medical source I've ever checked, men should never drop below 1800 calories (and women should never drop below 1200) unless you want to lose some serious muscle mass or face serious metabolic consequences. Unless you do absolutely nothing a day, which I find hard to believe (notice even sedentary people have to multiply their BMR times 1.2 which means a man would have to be beyond skinny to not be able to eat over 1800 calories a day), at your weight you should have been eating much more. I weigh less than you and I eat more than you and I am cutting (eating approx. 2200-2400 kCals a day and losing approx .5% bodyfat a week).

Utilize this here to calculate your BMR and then multiply that times your activity level. If you are lower percentage of body fat, use the Katch-McArdie formula, if you are higher percentage bodyfat use the Harris-Benedict formula. Those aren't "exact" numbers, but they give you a good idea where you should be a day. If you want to lose fat effectively, drop your calories 400-500 below the calculation a day.
    "Fi mutationem vis videre." ~ Mahatma Ghandi

http://www.thedailyplate.com/users/profile/namesarehardtopick/

Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    LethalOnGuitarZ is just really nice. (+1000) LethalOnGuitarZ is just really nice. (+1000) LethalOnGuitarZ is just really nice. (+1000) LethalOnGuitarZ is just really nice. (+1000) LethalOnGuitarZ is just really nice. (+1000) LethalOnGuitarZ is just really nice. (+1000) LethalOnGuitarZ is just really nice. (+1000) LethalOnGuitarZ is just really nice. (+1000) LethalOnGuitarZ is just really nice. (+1000) LethalOnGuitarZ is just really nice. (+1000) LethalOnGuitarZ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Dude 1700 is WAY too low. I made the same mistake. I'm trying to get onto a clean bulk, but at the moment I'm upping calories to maintainence. Instead of a pig-out cheat day, I just relax myself over the weekend.

EchoHB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Well now I'm curious!

Now that the OP's calories have been analyzed, it gets me thinking...

I have been reading up on cheat meals for a few days since I have been noticing I'm a little sluggish on my workouts. I have been counting my macros for two weeks and finally starting to do it well (hit them) for over a week. Seeing this thread makes me wonder if I'm doing this right.

I am 5'8" female at 165lbs looking to cut. I think my BMR calculated 2100 and I've been trying to stay at 1500 cals/day with a 40p/20c/40f ratio. I'm moderately active, treadmill jogging 3 days a week and strength training (Bowflex) 5-6 days. The plan ends up being low carb, at only 87g/day. So I figure because I've done very well for over 30 meals and I'm feeling a little sluggish that a cheat meal would benefit me.

I have not noticed any significant changes yet, but from the experience here, am I on the right track? Thanks all!

EchoHB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by EchoHB View Post
    Now that the OP's calories have been analyzed, it gets me thinking...

I have not noticed any significant changes yet, but from the experience here, am I on the right track? Thanks all!
    By the way, my prof somehow has me in my 40's. I'm 27 years old if it changes any advice!