Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    John617 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Push-ups are definitely going to help you get stronger with your benches. I don't think that they'll get in the way at all. Just be sure to down a protein shake right after.

-Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    A few sets of pushups before bed is hardly gonna destroy your body

liftingbig is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) liftingbig is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) liftingbig is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) liftingbig is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) liftingbig is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) liftingbig is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) liftingbig is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) liftingbig is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) liftingbig is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) liftingbig is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) liftingbig is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    wut i dont get it why everybody thinks anything and everything is overtraining.

Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    People who think pushups before bed are overtraining must work office jobs. You guys know there are people who work construction jobs, play physical sports for recreation and lift?

Pushups and situps serve to help the body. Be it growth, quality of muscle, cardio, stamina, etc..

However... I didn't see it mentioned. There is good reason NOT to do pushups and situps before bed.

It's really going to mess with your sleep. Quality sleep is VERY important for body growth. Working out, even mildly right before you try and shut down isn't good for the body at all.

I'd recomend putting those pushups and sits in the morning. Not only will it wake you up a bit more, it'll give you a lil boost for the day. Working out in the morning is better for you on a whole anyway, so you got that goin as well.
    something clever and witty

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Josiah
    People who think pushups before bed are overtraining must work office jobs. You guys know there are people who work construction jobs, play physical sports for recreation and lift?
    Amen. I was waiting for someone else to say it.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by liftingbig
    wut i dont get it why everybody thinks anything and everything is overtraining.
    1. Because most people will look for any excuse to avoid hard work.
    2. Because most people have no clue what overtraining actually is. It's not sore arms from doing a few extra sets of biceps curls, it's a condition with CNS and endocrine symptoms that takes time to develop. Decreased performance, disturbed sleep, etc. Learn more.

More to the point, most people chronically UNDERTRAIN. In the early stages of genuine overtraining performance suffers, you might start to feel run down, perhaps sleep becomes distrurbed, appetite affected, and so on. In that case, either a week of rest or decreased volume/intensity/frequency will probably take care of it, or at the most two. I just **** my pants that was so scary.

Registered User ericszimmerman3's Avatar
    ericszimmerman3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ericszimmerman3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ericszimmerman3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ericszimmerman3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ericszimmerman3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ericszimmerman3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ericszimmerman3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ericszimmerman3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Go for it

I wouldnt really recommend doing it before bed because when i start doing anything physical like that before i go to sleep i get all pumped up and cant sleep but thats just me. Push ups are great. You can do them so many ways in so many positions. I also got push up bars and a 40 pound weight vest ill use when doing push ups and tricep dips. Works great. I think its kinda sad that people can bench 300 pounds but can barely do 15 push ups. I do lots of martial arts so id rather have good strenght and lots of endurance that just having lots of mass. Id do it. Push ups will make you more cut along with giving you increased strenght regardless of what anyone else says. Again look at the marines. Push ups, pull ups, and sit ups and they come out big and cut. Try finding different ways to do push ups to make it harder along with working out different muscle groups. You can turn your wrist different ways, push up and clap (and if your really good clap then clap again behind your back and landing back into a push up positoin, put your feet up on a chair and do it, hold your arms out really far apart or make a triangle with your hand (the farther past your head your hands are the harder the push up) or do then counting 6 down and 6 back up. Also handstands up against a wall then doing push ups works your shoulders extremely well. Push ups are great. Most people dont like them but most people dont stick with them. Ive seen people get really cut and solid from push ups but there not the thing if your mostly concerened with mass. Also try doing 10 push ups inbetween bench press sets. then when your done do them to failure. Works NICE

Thatsall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes after a set of benching it is awesome. To tell you the truth im not that in shape right now....on my way though, but i can only do a couple before i fail. They are great though. Also i agree with you when you say mass isnt everything . but its noce to have a bigger build. Mass is everything right now for me since im kinda skinny. But once i have that mass i plan to just transform into a cut, endured person rather the just huge this and that. Much more appeaaling to me.

CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I do push-ups on chest day only (twice a week). I used to do 100's daily, and my chest never really grew. Just my personal experience.

-C10

dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The lack of comprehension skills of some people never ceases to amaze me. No one in this thread has said that doing the push-ups would be overtraining, we simply said that there's no real point in doing them (apart from gaining a bit of endurance). Also alot of people believe doing the push-ups will give them noticable muscle gain which imo it won't.
    Also i do agree that alot of people don't understand what overtraining really is and they think it happens alot easier than it actually does. I myself work a physical job (lugging around furniture alot of the day) and i work out 4 days a week with moderate volume and i don't think i'm anywhere near overtraining.
    sponsored by Bulk Powders Australia
    use code NAPARM in the 'redeem' box at checkout for a discount off your order

Registered User AnaerobicAndrew's Avatar
    AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by dparm99
    The lack of comprehension skills of some people never ceases to amaze me. No one in this thread has said that doing the push-ups would be overtraining, we simply said that there's no real point in doing them (apart from gaining a bit of endurance). Also alot of people believe doing the push-ups will give them noticable muscle gain which imo it won't.
    Also i do agree that alot of people don't understand what overtraining really is and they think it happens alot easier than it actually does. I myself work a physical job (lugging around furniture alot of the day) and i work out 4 days a week with moderate volume and i don't think i'm anywhere near overtraining.
    I agree.
    "Swim 2.4 miles. Bike 112 miles. Run 26.2 miles. BRAG for the rest of your life." IRONMAN TRIATHLON

Es gibt keinen anderen Teufel als den wir in unserem eigenen Herzen haben.

dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Wink

Originally Posted by crazygerman
    I agree.
    Great minds think alike...
    sponsored by Bulk Powders Australia
    use code NAPARM in the 'redeem' box at checkout for a discount off your order

boninja is not very well liked. (-100) boninja is not very well liked. (-100) boninja is not very well liked. (-100) boninja is not very well liked. (-100) boninja is not very well liked. (-100) boninja is not very well liked. (-100) boninja is not very well liked. (-100) boninja is not very well liked. (-100) boninja is not very well liked. (-100) boninja is not very well liked. (-100) boninja is not very well liked. (-100)
    As long as you are doing more reps or doing more challaging moves I don't see why not.

TBoneBrah is just really nice. (+1000) TBoneBrah is just really nice. (+1000) TBoneBrah is just really nice. (+1000) TBoneBrah is just really nice. (+1000) TBoneBrah is just really nice. (+1000) TBoneBrah is just really nice. (+1000) TBoneBrah is just really nice. (+1000) TBoneBrah is just really nice. (+1000) TBoneBrah is just really nice. (+1000) TBoneBrah is just really nice. (+1000) TBoneBrah is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Dominik View Post
    It's fine. I think they're great for overall conditioning along with bodyweight chins & dips and maybe one-legged squats. You're pressing around 2/3rds of your body weight which for most people should be around 55% or less of their bench max so it's not going to interfere with anything.

I've never understood why some people will go on about it interfering with chest work. Do they get around in a wheelchair between squat sessions to preserve their precious legs too?
    I was going to say about them possibly making you weaker the night before you train, as in my experience they do, but then again OP will just have to try it and see.

Anyways, thanks for the wheelchair tip - I think I'll be using that one!
    TBoneBrah - Running the Texas Method
    .....Started at 59kg / 130lbs (Summer '14)
    ..Currently at 70kg / 154lbs

SQ:.....135.0kg / 298lbs / 1.93xBW
    BP:.....100.0kg / 220lbs / 1.43xBW
    DL:.....160.0kg / 353lbs / 2.29xBW
    Total:.395.0kg / 871lbs / 5.64xBW

On the road to a 7xBW total.

RebeccaDawkins has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RebeccaDawkins has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RebeccaDawkins has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RebeccaDawkins has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RebeccaDawkins has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RebeccaDawkins has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RebeccaDawkins has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RebeccaDawkins has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RebeccaDawkins has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RebeccaDawkins has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RebeccaDawkins has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    When you do physical activity it gets your adrenaline flowing so it will be harder to go to sleep,you're going to be more awake and alert than you want.
    Do your push ups when you wake up. not only will you get your push ups in,but it will help you wake up quicker.

esalackstrom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esalackstrom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esalackstrom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esalackstrom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esalackstrom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esalackstrom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esalackstrom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esalackstrom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esalackstrom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esalackstrom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esalackstrom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If normal pushups are getting too easy, you won't progress. Variate them! I wanna see someone doing 20 one armed pushups without breaking a sweat/perfect form, and saying that pushup's wont make you stronger

Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by boninja View Post
    As long as you are doing more reps or doing more challaging moves I don't see why not.
    I'm sure he appreciates the timely advice. 10 year old thread, lol.

graysonthacker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) graysonthacker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) graysonthacker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) graysonthacker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) graysonthacker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) graysonthacker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) graysonthacker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) graysonthacker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) graysonthacker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) graysonthacker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) graysonthacker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Thatsall View Post
    would it be overtraining if i did 2-3 sets of abs and pushups to failure before bed?,,............along with a regular 5x5 training
    Pushups and abs before bed are fine. Probably best for sleep quality to avoid exercise before bed. Some folks think it enhances muscle growth. Haven't seen any research indicating that is the case. I think it is a minor concern. If you like doing it, then go ahead and do it.
    CountryMike Appreciation Crew

My reviews:
    http://reviews.bodybuilding.com/supplement-reviews/graysonthacker

Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by graysonthacker View Post
    Pushups and abs before bed are fine. Probably best for sleep quality to avoid exercise before bed. Some folks think it enhances muscle growth. Haven't seen any research indicating that is the case. I think it is a minor concern. If you like doing it, then go ahead and do it.

You are answering a question that was posted when you were still in elementary school! Can people not read dates?

Hockeyman199 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hockeyman199 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hockeyman199 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hockeyman199 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hockeyman199 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hockeyman199 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hockeyman199 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hockeyman199 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hockeyman199 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hockeyman199 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hockeyman199 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Pushups will get u peeled to the bone. Keep up the hardwork! Glad i could help u out!