golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000)

Question Muscle Soreness and "Weight" Gain

I was reading Nick Nilsson's training tips about what causes muscle soreness. He says:

- Most weight trainers do not know the reason their muscles get sore after a workout. Muscle soreness is not caused by lactic acid, as many people believe.

- It is caused by microtrauma to the muscle fibers.

- This causes calcium molecule leakage from the muscle fibers (as well as an accumulation of histamines, potassium, prostaglandins and local edema).

- The sensation of pain and soreness comes due to the pressure of localized edema (fluid retention) on nerve endings, not by the muscle damage itself.

- Negative-accentuated training often results in severe muscle soreness as it causes the most muscle damage.

I have worked out very hard this week with LOTS of negative accentuated training and am VERY sore. Unfortunately, my "scale" weight has gone up 1.5 pounds. Do you think the extra edema caused from the heavy training / muscle breakdown could cause that kind of increase?

I'm new here so please do not hesitate to set me straight if I'm totally off track!

Thanks!
    Elise

"C'mon Elise"! "You're jumping like a fat girl"!

Dreaming my life away.... emmie's Avatar
    emmie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) emmie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) emmie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) emmie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) emmie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) emmie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) emmie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) emmie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) emmie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) emmie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) emmie is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Wow, would I love to know about this!

I,too, seem to have puffed up a little bit in the thighs/butt, but aside from a tough leg day on Wednesday, I can't htink of what to blame this on. It occurred to me today as I was wincing and groaning my way up a set a stairs that maybe the puffiness is related to the workout. Any of you physiology experts out there have any info on this?

- Emma

pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100)
    Soreness is a positive, tell you exactly where the exercises are hitting you!

1/ Do not go back to the exercises until most or all the pain's gone, there is no advantage.

2/ Ignore short-term weight gain-it's like the stock market, you can't worry about day-to-day changes, check weight once weekly or once monthly otherwise ignore.

PuShinWeiGhT23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You weight can change everyday going up or down a few pounds. So dont worry about gaining 1.5 lbs. It might just be you were full from food or water. The best time to weigh yourself is when you wake up in the morning. Thats my opinion.

golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pumpster
    Soreness is a positive, tell you exactly where the exercises are hitting you!

1/ Do not go back to the exercises until most or all the pain's gone, there is no advantage.

2/ Ignore short-term weight gain-it's like the stock market, you can't worry about day-to-day changes, check weight once weekly or once monthly otherwise ignore.
    Originally Posted by PuShinWeiGhT23
    You weight can change everyday going up or down a few pounds. So dont worry about gaining 1.5 lbs. It might just be you were full from food or water. The best time to weigh yourself is when you wake up in the morning. Thats my opinion.
    Yup! Thanks everyone. I only weigh myself once a week on Friday morning right when I get out of bed (after I pee, of course ). Guess it just so happened that yesterday was the day my body decided to fluctuate up. I weighed again this morning, just for...errr.....uhh.....just BECAUSE, and was back down the 2.5 that I gained plus another 1. Silly ole scale!

Thanks again for your reassurances!!

BTW - Does the Rep Power have something to do with how many times you've posted? I know that one's been asked a million times. ) Thanks again!

pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100)
    The rep power has to do with one's brilliance. Well, maybe it has more to do with no. of posts..:-)

Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by pumpster

Gee...if that were the case - I don't think I'd ever be able to lift as I am always 'sore'
    Right now it doesn't matter what the results will be.
    Whats more important is that you test the waters. You share the story.. you add a different aspect to your recovery..

Leap and the net will appear..

Soreness is a good sign, but if there's constant soreness you might want to consider taking an extra day off between those workouts, and doing other exercises instead.