http://www.sugapablo.net sugapablo's Avatar
    sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Hip Abductor Exercises using weights?

Just got back from the doctor and, embarrassingly enough, my left hip abductor muscles are terrible weak and need strengthening.

Only exercises I know for them use abductor machines and cables. I only have a standard weight set (barbell, dumbells, bench, etc.).

Are there any weight lifting exercises that work on strengthening the hip abductors?
    My Transformation:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/photo/data/500/transformation10.jpg

Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by sugapablo
    Just got back from the doctor and, embarrassingly enough, my left hip abductor muscles are terrible weak and need strengthening.

Only exercises I know for them use abductor machines and cables. I only have a standard weight set (barbell, dumbells, bench, etc.).

Are there any weight lifting exercises that work on strengthening the hip abductors?
    It is going to be hard to find anything that will target that area using what you have but I will suggest three things.

Get some ankle weights and use that to make the outer movement that you need harder, or I would suggest that you lay on your side and have someone put resistance on the leg for about 3 sets of 8 or 10...You will have to train the person to do what you want.

In other words don't expect them to know what you mean when you say," I want you to do this but each time I want you to add increasing downward resistance"..

Third go to Walmarts and spend a few bucks on the Resistance bands. They are cheap but I just went through shoulder rehab using them and I believe in them. In fact I just ordered a set of them with the workout ball. Trust me you can make them give you a hell of a workout..
    Last edited by Chipman; 03-30-2006 at 02:35 PM.
    HuH?

getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    side lunges
    "Why would you want to eat a vegetable unless it was wrapped in bacon?" Michael Symon

Alwyn Cosgrove steals other peoples work.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=124530811

http://www.sugapablo.net sugapablo's Avatar
    sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Chipman: Good thoughts. Ankle weights and bands sound good.

getgot211: Side lunges? Not in the exercise database on this site. Any link to a description?

Additionally, I was looking at my weight bench, which has a leg extention/curl thing on it and stood perpendicular to the bench, keeping the bottom leg pad on my outer ankle and the upper leg bad on my inner thigh and I was able to lift my leg sideways and lift the weight.

I tried it with a small amount of weight and the motion felt pretty natural. Any caveats about such a "jerry-riffed" use of my weight bench?
    My Transformation:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/photo/data/500/transformation10.jpg

Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by sugapablo
    Chipman: Good thoughts. Ankle weights and bands sound good.

getgot211: Side lunges? Not in the exercise database on this site. Any link to a description?

Additionally, I was looking at my weight bench, which has a leg extention/curl thing on it and stood perpendicular to the bench, keeping the bottom leg pad on my outer ankle and the upper leg bad on my inner thigh and I was able to lift my leg sideways and lift the weight.

I tried it with a small amount of weight and the motion felt pretty natural. Any caveats about such a "jerry-riffed" use of my weight bench?
    Side lunges wiht video..http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...SideLunge.html
    HuH?