StratgPro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Glute and hamstring

hi,

got question to ask..
    what do I need to do in order to strengthen my glutes and hamstring?Btw, I don't have time to access gym or weight room, so I need bodyweight exercises..

J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    you can't do much without access to a gym or weight room...

you're highschool doesn't have a weight room?

About the best things I can think of are walking lunges and reverse sprints, couple with regular sprints and possibly some other speed drills.

tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    lunges, pistols, step ups
    "Lift big weight, eat much food" - W8

crofty22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) crofty22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) crofty22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) crofty22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) crofty22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) crofty22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) crofty22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) crofty22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) crofty22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) crofty22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) crofty22 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    GLUTE HAM RAISES !

get a partner to sit on your feet
    Nobody makes me bleed my own blood.

I rep back.

Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by crofty22 View Post
    GLUTE HAM RAISES !

get a partner to sit on your feet
    Best exercise you can do IMO.

"Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron

Will my vertical jump wear away if I don't train my quadriceps. Instead I only train calves, glutes and hamstring. Does it decreases?

Btw, glute-ham raise doesn't give any effects.

Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Why wouldn't you want to train quads? You can do lunges or one legged squats or step ups... all without equipment.

What you do mean glute ham raises doesn't give any effects?
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron

Do you mean lunges without barbell?

What I mean about glute-ham raises doesn't give me effect because I don't feel stress?

Btw, does one legged squat really strengthen both my glutes and hamstrings?

zennode has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zennode has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zennode has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zennode has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zennode has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zennode has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zennode has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zennode has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zennode has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zennode has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zennode has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Overload View Post
    Best exercise you can do IMO.

Actually those are not called glute ham raises, they are called Bodyweight Hamstring / Leg Curls and they are supposed to be done much slower as such:

Bodyweight Hamstring / Leg Curls

And for Glute Ham Rasies it pivots on two points, hence the name.

Bodyweight Glute Ham Raise

Now there is a lot of confusion with these exercises. But just remember that the Hamstring curl pivots at one point while the bodyweight GHR lowers to about a 75degree angle and then while keeping the hamstrings tight you lower your trunk to the ground and back up, engaging the glutes.

There is also another GHR that is done on a bench. You might have seen the crossfit video of it:

Glute Ham Situps ( raises )

zennode has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zennode has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zennode has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zennode has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zennode has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zennode has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zennode has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zennode has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zennode has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zennode has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zennode has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by StratgPro View Post
    Do you mean lunges without barbell?

What I mean about glute-ham raises doesn't give me effect because I don't feel stress?

Btw, does one legged squat really strengthen both my glutes and hamstrings?

Pistols definitely engage your glutes and hamstrings!! If your not feeling it add weight or different variations such as:

Pistol Switch

Also add dumbells when you can.

tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by zennode View Post
    Actually those are not called glute ham raises, they are called Bodyweight Hamstring / Leg Curls and they are supposed to be done much slower as such:

Bodyweight Hamstring / Leg Curls

Now there is a lot of confusion with these exercises. But just remember that the Hamstring curl pivots at one point while the bodyweight GHR lowers to about a 75degree angle and then while keeping the hamstrings tight you lower your trunk to the ground and back up, engaging the glutes.

There is also another GHR that is done on a bench. You might have seen the crossfit video of it:

Glute Ham Situps ( raises )
    Perhaps it should be called a "Ham then Glute Raise".

That is the worse example of a glute ham raise that I have ever seen in my life! He is bending at the waist to complete the movement. There should be no bend! It should be a total posterior chain effort. I can't ever recall doing the glute ham raises without my glutes at 100% tension through out.

This is what is referred to as a glute ham raise (using a machine or not).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpqekyg01wA

My link above shows a proper glute ham raise with hand assist with the intent of working towards the no hands full glute ham raise.

This is the way it was done when I was in high school Somewhere along the line, the other variation was developed as a progression towards the full glute ham raise or by trainers needing more content for their programs(for clients not quite ready).

I should add though, that the bent version is a good way to progress someone who does not yet have good core engagement.

To the OP, the other advice from the above posters sounds great.
    Last edited by tonester; 02-23-2008 at 06:13 AM.
    "Adapt and overcome."

"Everything you need is inside you."

Originally Posted by zennode View Post

That actually looks like a glute ham raise with a hyperextension added to it. My understanding was that the glutes get activated from the action needed to pull yourself up by the hamstrings. I didn't think glute muscles have a pivot point. Hips yes, but not glutes. I could be way off of course.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    SLDL, with DB's, using higher repetitions and feeling a IMMENSE stretch in the hamstrings HAMMERS the area.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.