paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Got my wife to start going to the gym (yay!)

Hello Ladies! Hope you don't mind me in your turf but I was hoping to get some advice.

I finally got my wife to start going to they gym. She has never excercised in her life. Luckily she was raised in Korea on a very healthy diet and has those Asian genetics that allows her to eat without gaining too much weight. Well this Thursday is her last day on her job so she will have a lot more free time. I convinced her to start working out. Her first workout was last Sunday. I just had her do 10 mins on the treadmill, three sets of assisted pullups, three sets of rows, three sets of leg extensions and curls, and she insisted on doing one of those ab cruncher machines. I made sure she did everything light (10 reps each set).

My question is should I keep her doing this for a few more workouts (but changing machines)? Or should I have her just work in with me. I'm doing more bodybuilding with free weights. The machines seem to be better for beginners I think so maybe just keep her on them?
    ---------------------------------------
    Paul V

Misc Holy Spirit Crew
    Misc Epilepsy Crew
    Misc Dallas Crew
    Misc Over 40 crew
    *Old Misc Crew*

Registered User TigerAngelLeigh's Avatar
    TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    From a personal point of view, I would favour free weights because you need to use other muscles (besides those being targeted) to maintain balance/position, so you're getting a better quality workout and building core stability. Your wife may not be able to lift as heavy as with machines, but she will still be challenging herself and thus building muscle. The advantage of having her work in with you is that it may be more motivating for her to have you on standby to give advice and it's something you can do together. Just bear in mind that she may need to workout differently to you - for example: men often need to do a lot of legwork to bulk their lower body, whereas a lot of women bulk easily in this area (compared to the rest of them), especially pear shapes, so less will be sufficient. You could try asking your wife what she thinks: maybe she likes the machines and would prefer to stick with them at first, or maybe she would prefer free weights.

darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    May wanna put her on an upper/lower body split or a three day split rather than a total body workout.

terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The beginner routines here are very good (well, the whole site is good )

http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displaysection.php?sid=26
    31-26-36.

Mother of 3

www.hotnfit.com - need help with fat loss, muscle gain, or having a healthy pregnancy? Visit my site! Yes safe for work and mobile friendly :)

www.********.com/hotnfitcom

PrissyPants has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrissyPants has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrissyPants has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrissyPants has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrissyPants has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrissyPants has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrissyPants has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrissyPants has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrissyPants has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrissyPants has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrissyPants has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Start her out with dumbbells. It's been my experience that many women never graduate to the free weights out of intimidation. Get her started there so she learns there's nothing to fear. Plus, she'll get her form down faster and Tiger said, she'll recruit more assistors.
    My goal: big shoulders.

Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    That's funny, because I heard that anybody just starting out should use the machines, because they don't have perfect form and because it is so new to them. I'd say if she is intimidated by free weights that she should use machines until she has more confidence and know how in the gym to feel comfortable using free weights.

Free weights are a lot better, though; they do recruit stabilizers to help the larger muscle groups, and they're absolutely necessary for progression. The ab machine is crap, by the way. If it's that 1 where you, like twist your back, it's bad for your spine, and if it's that 1 where you lean forward, as if you're pressing weight down with your abs or something, yeah, that's crap, too!! Planks and stability ball work are more effective than that hoax!!

darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If anything, I've found machines to be more intimidating... hard for a newbie to know what each one does and how to set the weights, adjust the seat, etc.

Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Red face

Originally Posted by darkangel
    If anything, I've found machines to be more intimidating... hard for a newbie to know what each one does and how to set the weights, adjust the seat, etc.
    Very true, that's a very fair point.

Maybe your wife would have a better input than us!! She is doing the workout, maybe just go with whatever she prefers!!

paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks for the advice! I'll keep you all updated or maybe I can convince her to start reading this forum
    ---------------------------------------
    Paul V

Misc Holy Spirit Crew
    Misc Epilepsy Crew
    Misc Dallas Crew
    Misc Over 40 crew
    *Old Misc Crew*