garrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Box Squat Carryover

Today, being Monday, was my ME SQ/DL day. I did box squats with an olympic bar. I set the box so that I would be 1 inch below parallel. I'm a wide-stance squatter. Here's what my workup to a 1 RM looked like:

bar x 3
    135 x 3
    225 x 3
    315 x 3
    405 x 3
    455 x 3
    500 x 1 (destroyed it)
    545 x 1 ( got a good 2 second strain out of this one)

Lifting raw, what kind of carryover do you think I could expect at an upcoming meet (two weeks away). 500lbs is my SQ opener. I'm in the Junior Division, 275 class (right at 260lbs, 6'1").

Thanks.
    Elite in '08. GFH.

vascularing defination Newbtime's Avatar
    Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I hear it is diffrent for everybody. If you squat 545 on a parelell box you should be squating around 600 or so.

garrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks Oldtime.

I read on the elitefts website that the carryover should be 15-20%, but I understood that to reference a raw box squat to an equipped competition squat. If that were the case, I would be somewhere between 625 and 655, were I to use a suit (depending on the suit, of course).
    Elite in '08. GFH.

vascularing defination Newbtime's Avatar
    Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hypotheticaly, You squat 625 without a box raw. You also squat 545 raw on a box.. If you go, And hit a 30 lb pr, That 30lbs will carry over to you're regular squat - Just somthing to keep in mind.

I'm not sure if the % would be diffrent with a suit on box squat... But i would guess you are squating roughly around 600... Only one way to know the exact number though.

chuckt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chuckt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chuckt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chuckt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chuckt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chuckt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chuckt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chuckt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chuckt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chuckt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chuckt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well it will depend on how you free squat, if you get called down and only come up when you here he up call i expect what you hit in the meet will be very close to the 545 box max, if you just drop down and rebound up than i would imagine you will mabye hit 600.

Dont make stupid attempts because you expect x amount of lbs carryover from your box squat to free squat. Choose good attempts at meet time based off of your free squat training, not off of box squat training.
    Charlie Telesco
    220lb Junior Powerlifter
    1757 total
    661 sq
    518 b
    578 dl

University of California at Santa Cruz