New Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

have you guys ever heard of this strength test?

i read this test in a book i got recently: for the test you had to find out your 1 rep max for your bench press. then you find 75% of that max and take off weight until you have the 75% on there, while you rest for 5 minutes. then once the five minutes is up you start lifting the weight and you do every rep possible. the results are supposed to be: less than 8 reps done and it is harder weight lifting for you, between 8-12 reps it is easier and you are more cut out for weight lifting, and then over 12 and you are really good . well i tried it. i have not really weight lifted for any constant period of time but i have always felt i am naturally strong. my 1 rep max for my bench press was.... don't laugh too hard 72 pounds. so 75% of that is 54 pounds. so i started lifting it and i ended up getting it up 25 times! what does that mean? i seriously could not get up any more than 72 pounds 1 time i tried. maybe some of you guys can try the test out and see how you do.

Franco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Franco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Franco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Franco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Franco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Franco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Franco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Franco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Franco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Franco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Franco has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    How old are you man? Are sure that your 1 rep max was 72lbs? That sounds quite strange that you manged to bench 54lbs 25 times if your max was 72lbs! Maybe you are more suited to endurance than strength
    136 and rising

Zulu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Zulu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Zulu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Zulu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Zulu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Zulu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Zulu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Zulu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Zulu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Zulu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Zulu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The more times you get up 80% of your 1RM......the worse. It means you're doomed to endurance and high reps, little strength.

I can only lift 80% of my 1RM 4 times, approx.

-Zulu
    ~Insert witty quote~

aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Maximum effort test

I have a great idea for finding your 1RM, do a 1RM. Somewhere everyone has become scared to death to lift towards the maximum. As long as you are properly warmed up I do not see the danger.
    Percentages usually do not yield accurate information on approximations. Like some else mentioned. The more trained you become for maximum strength the worse you should become at getting a lot of reps for certain percentags.

New Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

franco

i am 15 about to turn 16 but i agree it is pretty strange . just think though when by 1RM improves for my bench. i don't really think it would be endurance because because i lifted it so many times the lower the number of reps was supposed to be the best for endurance. you guys give it a try and see what results you get it doesn't take long at all and it didn't really get me that tired. good luck

Location: Bangor, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    power_just has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) power_just has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) power_just has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) power_just has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) power_just has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) power_just has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) power_just has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) power_just has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Wink

I work of percentages...but sometimes they dont work out maybe due to not enough energy, ilness etc...but they should work out if you are in good condition...but you must reconise that percenatges for the following example will differ:

First is the percentage:
    1RM = 100%
    2RM = 95%
    4RM = 90%
    6RM = 85%
    8RM = 80%
    10RM = 75%

AND SO ON.......

Example:
    Now this i can only relate to myself but whoever takes in this info may benifit.

Squat training works out to the above percenatges and i have had no problems so far, the deadlift is the same i have worked of the % and have had no problems...but the bench press i found that i benched 185kg for my 1RM, I divided that by 100 and muiltiplied it by 75(%) to see what i could do for a 10 rm but i only got 9....may be it was a bad day but i like working with percenatges(That works best for me) but each individual is diffrrent and something else will work better for them than the next. good luck in increasing your bench.

Zulu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Zulu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Zulu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Zulu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Zulu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Zulu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Zulu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Zulu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Zulu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Zulu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Zulu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Percentages are Bull****.

Guy A and Guy B could both bench 500 pounds. But Guy A can bench 400 pounds 20 times while guy B can only bench 400 pounds 3X.

Guy B has better potential because he has more fast twitch fibers.

-Zulu
    ~Insert witty quote~