waynebw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynebw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynebw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynebw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynebw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynebw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynebw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynebw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynebw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynebw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynebw has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

How do I cut without losing muscle

I've been growing for the last 6 months when I started training, and have gone from 66KG (145lbs) @ 13% bf, up to about 80KG (176lbs) @ 14% bf. I am 181cm (6') tall.

A recent clip of my progress: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=6aQYwsoQBBE
    Can anyone tell me is my estimate of 14% bf correct? And don't laugh, I know I'm not huge

I'm not ready yet, but pretty soon, when I get to 82KG or more, I want to start cutting down, so I can be a lean 80kg. I think I will be happy to be 10-11%bf. I'm thinking of spreading the cutting over about 2 months, so I can still make some muscle gains at the same time.

My questions regarding cutting are:

1. Should I incorporate cardio to help cutting, even if I haven't done cardio in my bulking training?

2. I have been having 40/40/20 carbs,protein,fats so far... Should I simply go to 25/60/15 carbs,protein,fats and keep a similar total calorie intake?

3. What is a safe rate to lose the fat while keeping the muscle mass? Eg. 500grams of fat per week?

Thanks for any assistance

Chris@UGA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chris@UGA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chris@UGA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chris@UGA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chris@UGA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chris@UGA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chris@UGA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chris@UGA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chris@UGA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chris@UGA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chris@UGA is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Here's what I do and I think it works very well.

I'd stay with 40/40/20 until you're down to 9-10% or until you hit a plateau. It's always worked for me and I like to keep my carbs pretty high so that I have really strong workouts and keep my strength up.

I'd defintely add in some cardio. I walk for cardio 5 times per week for 30-45 minutes at a time and lift 3 days per week while cutting. Make sure you lift heavy/low rep while cutting to preserve strength.

Here are two pictures from my previous cut...a before and after. 25lbs difference over 3 months. I then bulked, gained too much fat (yet again, god I need to do cardio when I bulk next time. lol) and am now cutting again. I've lost 9lbs in 1 month so far and don't plan on stopping until I get down to 8%.

Anyway, here are the before and after pictures. I've posted them before, but I like to post them again at times to show people that it works. Also, here's my old thread if you want to read some of my later posts and get diet and workout info.

Good luck!
    Chris

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=6108621
    Attached Images
    6'3"
    4/20/07 ~ 224lbs ~ 24+% BF
    7/20/07 ~ 203lbs ~ 14% BF
    9/11/07 ~ 221lbs ~ 20% BF
    12/11/07 ~ 196lbs ~ 12% BF
    1/20/08 ~ 212lbs ~ 18% BF
    4/1/08 ~ 200lbs ~ 11% BF
    7/17/08 ~ 232lbs ~ 18% BF
    11/10/08 ~ 208lbs ~ 12% BF
    1/1/09 ~ 217lbs ~ 16% BF
    7/1/09 ~ 206lbs ~ 12% BF
    7/29/10 ~ 240lbs ~ 18% BF

RTW2 is just really nice. (+1000) RTW2 is just really nice. (+1000) RTW2 is just really nice. (+1000) RTW2 is just really nice. (+1000) RTW2 is just really nice. (+1000) RTW2 is just really nice. (+1000) RTW2 is just really nice. (+1000) RTW2 is just really nice. (+1000) RTW2 is just really nice. (+1000) RTW2 is just really nice. (+1000) RTW2 is just really nice. (+1000)
    lol, im not here to fight with Chris i swear!!
    But you had to know i was going to bring up Keto

Keto diets are great for minimizing the loss of muscle when cutting.

"It's not necessary to lose weight - all you have to do is take in less calories than you expend and you will lose weight. Most people MEAN that when they want to lose weight ,what they really want to do is lose fat. Many diets reduce calories too much and people do lose weight, but a lot of it is muscle along with the fat. This reduces the person's metabolism and fat is regained more easily. Being in ketosis means that your body's primary source of energy is fat (in the form of ketones or free fatty acids). The state of ketosis is believed to be anti-catabolic, minimizing the loss of muscle when dieting. A number of studies that compared several forms of reduced calorie dieting have demonstrated that the least amount of LBM is lost on a ketogenic diet. Also, ketogenic diets tend to accelerate fat loss because when fat is coverted to ketones, it cannot be converted back to fat, and so is excreted."
    Need some Motivation?
    https://www.********.com/Motivation.Inspiration

“Every father should remember that one day his son will follow his example instead of his advice”

BodyGroups

█▬█ I Bring It █▬█

█▬▬▬▬▬█ Family Strong
    ✞웃웃웃웃웃✞

waynebw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynebw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynebw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynebw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynebw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynebw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynebw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynebw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynebw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynebw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waynebw has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Chris@UGA View Post
    Here's what I do and I think it works very well.

I'd stay with 40/40/20 until you're down to 9-10% or until you hit a plateau. It's always worked for me and I like to keep my carbs pretty high so that I have really strong workouts and keep my strength up.
    Thanks Chris, do you mean just stick with the same diet and eventually when my weight is bigger, i wont have enough calories to grow, so I will naturally start losing the fat? Or do you mean 40/40/20 but lower my calories... currently I'm on about 3,700cal per day.

btw, great work in for before and after shots!

Originally Posted by RTW2 View Post
    lol, im not here to fight with Chris i swear!!
    But you had to know i was going to bring up Keto

Keto diets are great for minimizing the loss of muscle when cutting.

Not to get you 2 in a fight lol, but I just did a little research on a Keto diet, and does it really work? It looks quite tasty (with all that meat and cheese!) but I worry not enough energy in order to continue my training and keep my strength gains while cutting...

Did you or anyone have success with a Keto diet, maybe with the results pics?

ahllun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ahllun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ahllun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ahllun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ahllun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ahllun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ahllun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ahllun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ahllun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ahllun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ahllun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    take in lots of protein to minimize muscle loss. it's hard to avoid though.

RTW2 is just really nice. (+1000) RTW2 is just really nice. (+1000) RTW2 is just really nice. (+1000) RTW2 is just really nice. (+1000) RTW2 is just really nice. (+1000) RTW2 is just really nice. (+1000) RTW2 is just really nice. (+1000) RTW2 is just really nice. (+1000) RTW2 is just really nice. (+1000) RTW2 is just really nice. (+1000) RTW2 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by waynebw View Post
    Not to get you 2 in a fight lol, but I just did a little research on a Keto diet, and does it really work? It looks quite tasty (with all that meat and cheese!) but I worry not enough energy in order to continue my training and keep my strength gains while cutting...

Did you or anyone have success with a Keto diet, maybe with the results pics?
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=6656531

x buhlayz x

Has had the best results that i have seen yet but alot of people dont do before and after pics. Keto gets a bad rap for not having energy for the only reason that the first 2weeks that it takes you to get into Ketosis you will have brain fog and a lack of energy. After that i can honestly say that my energy level went up and my body felt not only stronger but harder.
    Like anything else tho its not for everyone and everyone wont get the same results. Like my sig shows i have had GREAT progress with 40/40/20 but after using both i would use Keto anytime now to cut.
    Last edited by RTW2; 02-22-2008 at 06:14 AM.
    Need some Motivation?
    https://www.********.com/Motivation.Inspiration

“Every father should remember that one day his son will follow his example instead of his advice”

BodyGroups

█▬█ I Bring It █▬█

█▬▬▬▬▬█ Family Strong
    ✞웃웃웃웃웃✞