JudoFreak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Too much protein powder bad?

Can too much protein powder be bad for you?
    Sometimes I take up to around 144 grams of protein through out the day (about 6 scoops) from whey just cause the food at my college sucks.

I remember watching a body building video from milos sarcev and he said something about if you eat too much protein from one source you can become allergic to that source. So you need to keep on switching where you get your protein. I don't know if he even knows what he was talking about. I kinda doesnt make sense. Idk. Tell me your thoughts.

lilkao has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    too much of anything is bad.
    but mmm.. what kind of protein are you using? (meaning whey or etc)
    i get over 150 grams of daily protein from protein powder but its a complete protein powder, meaning it has different sources of protein and different forms of protein.

drum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm a vegetarian (not vegan) and I take in about 100 grams a day (of my 150-160 total) from powders. I do get it from a variety of powders including whey, casein, egg, and soy.

TeeD_uP has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TeeD_uP has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TeeD_uP has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TeeD_uP has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TeeD_uP has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TeeD_uP has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TeeD_uP has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TeeD_uP has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TeeD_uP has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TeeD_uP has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

protein.

to much protien shakes can cause strain on the kidneys as well as stop calcium from geting to the bones weakning them... its best to get most of your protien from real food the best alternitive is caned tun a 100 grm can contains between 18 to 30 grms of protein....
    load that bar with iron consume them calories now go build some muscle son...when standard door frames are an issue thats when my quest is complete...

Zacwheeler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zacwheeler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zacwheeler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zacwheeler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zacwheeler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zacwheeler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zacwheeler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zacwheeler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zacwheeler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ive heard that if you take in too much protein and dont use it it builds up ammonia and you get sick. Anyone else heard this?

treerollins is on a distinguished road. (+10) treerollins is on a distinguished road. (+10) treerollins is on a distinguished road. (+10) treerollins is on a distinguished road. (+10) treerollins is on a distinguished road. (+10) treerollins is on a distinguished road. (+10) treerollins is on a distinguished road. (+10) treerollins is on a distinguished road. (+10) treerollins is on a distinguished road. (+10) treerollins is on a distinguished road. (+10) treerollins is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The liver converts ammonia to urea via the Ornithine Cycle. Urea is excreted in the urine and with other proteinous waste.

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TeeD_uP View Post
    to much protien shakes can cause strain on the kidneys as well as stop calcium from geting to the bones weakning them... its best to get most of your protien from real food the best alternitive is caned tun a 100 grm can contains between 18 to 30 grms of protein....
    And that is why "with one caveat, the high-protein diet must also meet the recommended dietary allowance of calcium and vitamin D."

If your diet is low in calcium and high in protein, then there can be an issue with calcium turnover resulting in a negative calcium balance.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You should put more focus on whole foods as your main protein sources and use the powders to assist what should already be in place.
    Founder of DPA Fitness & Author of The Weight Training Antidote.
    My Free E-book - The Weight Training Antidote: http://dpafitness.com/the-weight-training-antidote

sthill is just really nice. (+1000) sthill is just really nice. (+1000) sthill is just really nice. (+1000) sthill is just really nice. (+1000) sthill is just really nice. (+1000) sthill is just really nice. (+1000) sthill is just really nice. (+1000) sthill is just really nice. (+1000) sthill is just really nice. (+1000) sthill is just really nice. (+1000) sthill is just really nice. (+1000)

10-30% based on your total cal consumption.

Protein does not need to be consumed in excess or youll just end up ing it out. Protein plays a very important role in our bodies by rebuilding, reproducing, enzyme function and 2nd messenger systems that carry solutes to other areas inside the plasma membrane etc... We get Protein from amino acids and ribosomes in translation. This translation comes from the Ribonuclic acid(RNA) that is transcribed from our Deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA).
    Protein should contribute about 20-30 % of your total caloric uptake for the day. IE If your consuming 4000 calories in a day and you wanted 25% of that to be of protein, do some conversion factoring and that yields about 1000 cals of protein or 250grams. Now this might be excessive if you are not putting the amount of protein (P) you are consuming to work. By that I mean there is no need to consume that amount of (P) on an off day or low intensity training day. Its recomended that you you use about 1g per lbs of bady weight. Also make sure that amount of (P) you do consume is spaced out over the whole course of the day and not just saturated pre and post-work out, or you will end up ing most of it away. In-addition, too much (P), more then 35% can actully be converted into fat and stored as fat in order to compensate for the lack of fat and or carbohydrates(CHO) your body is being deprived of. Just like everyone else mentioned make sure that your getting you (P) from whole foods, SUPPLEMENTS are called supplemental for that reason. Powders are great pre and post work-out along with a few other snacks through out the day.
    Hope that helps
    -Steve-

Billypc99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Billypc99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Billypc99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Billypc99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Billypc99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Billypc99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Billypc99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Billypc99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Billypc99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Billypc99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Billypc99 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by TeeD_uP View Post
    to much protien shakes can cause strain on the kidneys
    Yes it is true that increasing dietary protein can "strain" the kidneys. However, for healthy individuals it is a normal compensatory response needed for homeostasis. There is no evidence that higher protein diets and high protein containing foods have a negative impact on kidney function in normal, healthy individuals. The way the above post currently reads is misleading.

Hircus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    A few months ago I started going a little crazy with the protein power and ended up with a rash all over my body that is just now starting to clear up. I don't have any proof they're connected, but they happened at the same time.
    My doctor thought I was allergic to soy, but I never had been before. This is the first I've heard of using too much powdered protein as being a problem.

I may have to suck it up and just learn to like tuna.

u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The problem with relying on solely protein powder for your nutrition is that, while it may provide a lot of protein, it does not provide a lot of nourishment. You still need to get vitamins, minerals, and other important micronutrients from "real" food.
    "Like those in the valley behind us, most people stand in sight of the spiritual mountains all their lives and never enter them, being content to listen to others who have been there and thus avoid the hardships."

Carlos901 is just really nice. (+1000) Carlos901 is just really nice. (+1000) Carlos901 is just really nice. (+1000) Carlos901 is just really nice. (+1000) Carlos901 is just really nice. (+1000) Carlos901 is just really nice. (+1000) Carlos901 is just really nice. (+1000) Carlos901 is just really nice. (+1000) Carlos901 is just really nice. (+1000) Carlos901 is just really nice. (+1000) Carlos901 is just really nice. (+1000)
    there is no proven fact that protein is bad for you?... that i know of anyway
    If you always do what you always done, you will always get what you always got

yannfan8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yannfan8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yannfan8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yannfan8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yannfan8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yannfan8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yannfan8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yannfan8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yannfan8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yannfan8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yannfan8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I took a fitness nutrition class in college and my professor had a Master's degree in Nutrition and Life Science. She said that the 1 gram per body weight protein intake is absurd. This puts a ton of strain on the kidneys and can eventually lead to cardiovascular disease. I also agree that protein should be consumed from whole food sources and only use shakes post workout.

My professor also told me that .5 to .7 grams of protein per body weight is a much better ideal. So if you weighed 150 lbs and did the .5 conversion, then your optimal intake of protein would be 75 grams a day. Now you also have to keep in mind that everyone's bodies are different. So a while ago what I did was take 100 grams of protein for one week, 75 grams the next, 130 grams the third week and then 50 the last week of the month. I really didn't notice that much of a differnce except for the many times I was going to the bathroom with the higher dosages.

The main reason why people also take so much protein, as I have been told, is that they use it as a source of energy because they don't want to use fat or carbs as energy since this can lead to weight gain if you don't exercise correctly. All I can say is that you should do a 1 month experiment where you cycle different amounts of protein every week and then log your experiences. This is by far the most effective strategy for me and I can safely say that consuming 80-85 grams a day is best for my body's needs (I weigh 170 lbs).

rugby121 is just really nice. (+1000) rugby121 is just really nice. (+1000) rugby121 is just really nice. (+1000) rugby121 is just really nice. (+1000) rugby121 is just really nice. (+1000) rugby121 is just really nice. (+1000) rugby121 is just really nice. (+1000) rugby121 is just really nice. (+1000) rugby121 is just really nice. (+1000) rugby121 is just really nice. (+1000) rugby121 is just really nice. (+1000)
    don't lol at me for this, but in chemistry we had a lesson on protein and how it can have negative effects is you have too much. We learn't from a respective text book which has no biased, and showed the science of how too much protein is not JUST simply pissed out. Apparently no more than .5 per lb of bodyweight.
    I still have 100g per day though so meh
    "Think before you type you stupid mother ****er"

Tallguy is still a weak douchbag as of 7th July 2011. "I held my poo in so i get more nutrients out of my muffin pwo" Never forget!

singyay4ed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) singyay4ed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) singyay4ed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) singyay4ed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) singyay4ed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) singyay4ed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) singyay4ed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) singyay4ed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) singyay4ed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) singyay4ed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) singyay4ed is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by rugby121 View Post
    don't lol at me for this, but in chemistry we had a lesson on protein and how it can have negative effects is you have too much. We learn't from a respective text book which has no biased, and showed the science of how too much protein is not JUST simply pissed out. Apparently no more than .5 per lb of bodyweight.
    I still have 100g per day though so meh
    21st Century Science is not a respected science course. There's about two schools in the country doing it, and unfortunately we happen to be one of them. The way they write their textbooks, they make theory seem to be fact. Don't believe anything you learned in science for the past two years.
    FIRST RULE OF COOKING IS ALWAYS CHECK YOUR INGRIDIENTS. - Tallguy, 2009.

cbsxr800 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbsxr800 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbsxr800 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbsxr800 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbsxr800 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbsxr800 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbsxr800 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbsxr800 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbsxr800 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbsxr800 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbsxr800 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question too much protien, What can happen?

I ussually take about 100-175 grams of powders and about 150 grams of food I weigh close to 200 lbs. Since I upped my powders I have been noticing really good gains in muscle. I have been told that I have been overworking my kidneys. What will happen to a person from to much protien? I cycle all supps except protien and multi's.
    cbsxr800

Aim for the top. There is plenty of room there. There are so few at the top it is almost lonely there.

Natural born world shaker Joezilla's Avatar
    Joezilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joezilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joezilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joezilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joezilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joezilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joezilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joezilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joezilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joezilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joezilla will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i go with the 1 gram per pound of body weight rule. usually go a bit over to be on the safe side so im consuming about 3 shakes per day at 46 grams per. about 12 eggs per day (about one per hour) 9 of which being egg white only. chicken breast, turkey or tuna, or peanut butter as protein/fat source. Oats, veggies and fruit for a carb source. and alittle over a gallon of water a day, i weigh around 260 pounds. i notice significant differences in muscle recovery if i miss a shake or one of my high protein meals. id rather be peeing out some extra protein than not getting enough, i doubt any extra work the kidneys need to do would be a huge deal especially with the water intake of most of us.

also, its been said all over the place, even if someone has a degree it doesnt mean they are right. nutriotists love to duke it out with their theories, ive seen very few that are worth a damn that dont pay attention to real world common results.

the one gram per pound of body weight thing has been pretty much a rule of thumb for i dont know how many years.

basically do your best to get your protein from FOOD, and use the protein pwder as a SUPPLEMENT, and youll be totally fine. if the pwder is your only protein source you may have some problems but id imagine theyd be mostly digestion problems not real health risks (lots of stanky farts and sharts)