Thread: Track

baller205 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Track

i will be goin out for track, and im wonderin how can i increase my speeeeed/????????
    No Matter How Good You Are Someone Is Always Better
    Check out fortifiediron.tk, great site for powerlifting routines, quotes, links, and great forum!!

Fat Boy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

mmmmm

just buy more, and double what u usually take

xthematrix is just really nice. (+1000) xthematrix is just really nice. (+1000) xthematrix is just really nice. (+1000) xthematrix is just really nice. (+1000) xthematrix is just really nice. (+1000) xthematrix is just really nice. (+1000) xthematrix is just really nice. (+1000) xthematrix is just really nice. (+1000) xthematrix is just really nice. (+1000) xthematrix is just really nice. (+1000) xthematrix is just really nice. (+1000)
    just buy more, and double what u usually take
    Ya i totally didnt get that.
    The Matrix has you...

TrackAllStar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well, I'm assuming track starts the same time for you as it does for me. So, during the off season, you might wanna run on a treadmill or something. Also, running 4 or 5 200's at around 35-40 seconds each with a small break between each also works for me. During the winter dont push yourself by running those, the cold air will make your head hurt and will make you feel like you're gonna puke.

my suggestion

go to charliefrancis.com i am sure he or many of the other top athletes and coaches there will be able to help you out. and no they wont suggest you go on drugs

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    olympic lifts buddy, heavy olympic lifts will make you run faster and jump higher.

i tend to disagree on olympic lifts makign you run faster and jump higher, they may help a little yes, but how many weightlifters u seen run sub 10.5 hundreds? HSI ( Greene Boldon drummond etc) do very little in the weights room, they have a program but it isnt enforced they spend most of the time talkign abotu jerry springer and watchign TV, the majority of there work is done on the track, and they have run some decent times, so obviously the weights room isnt everything

do plyometric work, learn how to bound, learn how to do block starts properly, whats your running technique like? what are your legs doing? where are your toes pointing? where are your feet ladning? where is your head? what position do your shoulders sit in? where do you arms go? to you straigten the arm on the backswing? ( big no no) i recommned do alot of stairs running, hill running, technical running, do u have a coach? if so what does he offer as an opinion to help u get faster?
    a friend of mine who has run at 11.5m/s does very little weights, hates the things, but does alot of hill work, bounding, stair running, 100s 150s 120s 60s block starts over 40-60m

turboman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    losing weight also helps. Just 10 lbs will make a big difference
    fat bottom women make this rocking world go around

Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Re: .

Originally posted by Fat Boy
    i tend to disagree on olympic lifts makign you run faster and jump higher, they may help a little yes, but how many weightlifters u seen run sub 10.5 hundreds? HSI ( Greene Boldon drummond etc) do very little in the weights room, they have a program but it isnt enforced they spend most of the time talkign abotu jerry springer and watchign TV, the majority of there work is done on the track, and they have run some decent times, so obviously the weights room isnt everything

* Thats funny you think that. In the olympics in Mexico city a group of scientist did a combine test using olympic lifters and high jumpers in sprinters. It was amazing to see that the olympic lifters out ran the sprinters in the 25m and out jumped the jumpers in the vertical? Got an explanation for this? The weightroom leads the path to great sprinters.. but you cant rule out using your head, which your not using your head if your not hitting the weights hard.

do plyometric work, learn how to bound, learn how to do block starts properly, whats your running technique like? what are your legs doing? where are your toes pointing? where are your feet ladning? where is your head? what position do your shoulders sit in? where do you arms go? to you straigten the arm on the backswing? ( big no no) i recommned do alot of stairs running, hill running, technical running, do u have a coach? if so what does he offer as an opinion to help u get faster?
    a friend of mine who has run at 11.5m/s does very little weights, hates the things, but does alot of hill work, bounding, stair running, 100s 150s 120s 60s block starts over 40-60m

lifter

Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I was just gonna say that. most o-lifters out sprint and out jump other atheltes. I myself am also a sprinter but I don't really get competetive about running, throwings more fun for me.

some stuff plus a few sample training sessions

ok point taken but when was the last time the 25m was run as a competitive event? explosiveness out of blocks for 25m and actually running 100m are different things, how fast did the lifter go for 100m compared to the sprinter? how high did the lifter highjump compared to the high jumper? who were the athletes they tested? what level were they at? what ages? lots of variables that need to be considered.

explain to me why HSI athletes do very little in the weights room
    and there athletes are still amongst the fastest in the world, they have a program that looks like this:
    Upper Body: Tue, Thur

B.P. 5x10,8,6,6,6 (135 to 242lbs)
    Inc. DB P. 3x15 (30-35lbs)
    B.O. DB Flyes 3x15
    Front DB Raises 3x10 (15lbs alt. arms)
    Arm Running Motion w/DB 4x4 (15lbs 10" burst, 30" rest)
    DB Curls 3x15 (45lbs alt. arms)
    Lat P. 3x10 (120lbs wide grip)
    DB Shrugs 3x10

Lower Body: Monday, Friday

Squats 4x10,8,6,3 (135 to 255lbs) 5" hold at the bottom
    Power Cleans 5x3 (135lbs)

OR

Clean to Front Squat 5x5
    Single Leg Curl 3x10 (60lbs)
    Single Leg extension 3x10 (80lbs)

Friday sessions followed by plyos.

but very rarely is this actually done properly or at all, as i said earlier, yet there athletes have achieved the following times.

Mo Greene - 5.56, 6.39, 9.79, 19.86
    Ato Boldon - 5.64, 6.49, 9.86, 19.77
    Jon Drummond - 5.63, 6.46, 9.92, 20.03
    Inger Miller - 6.15, 7.03, 10.79, 21.73
    Torri Edwards - 6.31, 7.20, 11.06, 22.65

another thing alot of top sprint groups are big on are med balls,
    ill try to find some sample programs involving med balls, most of them ar elike overheads, jump squat throws, etc etc

Carl's program

November-December
    Monday: 2x600,4x100 or 600,500,400
    Tuesday: Starts, Weights
    Wednesday: Drills, Stadium steps
    Thursday: 3x300 or 10x100 or 6x150
    Friday: Starts, weights

January-February
    Monday: 2x500, 4x100 or 500,400,300
    Tuesday: Starts, Weights
    Wednesday: 90,80,70,60 accelerations or 6x150
    Thursday: 8-10x100 or starts
    Friday: Travel or weights

March-May
    Monday: 400,300,200
    Tuesday: Starts, weights or Jump-short runs 10
    strides
    Wednesday: strides or 150's
    Thursday: Starts/accelerations 90,80,70,60
    or approaches 173'
    Friday: Strides or travel

Flo Jos Prpgram

Generally we begin our overall conditioning training in early or mid-October and through December. The second phase of training progresses from January through early March--depending on whether we plan for the athlete to compete in indoor international competition. Some athletes prefer not to compete indoors-so this period of training depends on whether we bypass indoor competition to concentrate more on the outdoor competitions. During this period of training I prefer to concentrate on the speed-endurance components -improving the cardiovascular and anaerobic capacities of the athletes as oppossed to maximum speed and acceleration needed for racing. So, much of the indoor training will emphasize stride length and frequency, relaxtion rehearsals, and biomechancial analyses to detect any deficiencies in technique or body positions. We do not normally work for maximum acceleration, velocity or speed during this period. I prefer to also work on gradual body strength and strength endurance through gradual increase in weight training.

October-December:
    On Mondays we run 5x600m at 80-85% pace working on the aspects we are looking for at this period of training.
    Rest intervals between sets vary depending on the objectives for that period of training. Intensity is important whether working on endurance, acceleration or speed. In building anaerobic capacity the rest periods must be controlled in order to keep the dynamic movement and intensity to where there is some benefit from the workout.
    January-May
    The program does not change much except we run 450 meters. The distance from then on stays the same but the volume, intensity and rest gradually change.
    As the volume goes down the intensity and rest intervals increase in order to achieve maximum recovery so that the athlete can perform at a very high intensity.
    Florence Griffith Joyner was able to maintain acceleration as her last 100m of the 200m was timed at 10.45. She has learned to maintain stride length and frequency over longer periods of time."

The following are questions asked to Bob Kersee

Question:When and how do athletes work on muscle building exercises?
    Answer: We do not work on heavy weights. We concentrate on specific percentages. We continue to lift throughout the training periods. Jackie lifted up until the last 10-13 days before the 1988 Seoul Olympic Games. She lifted at lower percentages and lower repititions toward the end of the season, when we concentrated on maintenance of her form and the prevention of injury.... Some athlets get into lifting too heavy weights and they then try to increase muscle mass too greatly to the extent their muscles are strong but not as flexible, nor do they have the necessary range of motion and relaxtion.

LINFORD CRISTIE: Pre-season training.(spring months)
    MORNING AFTERNOON

MON) Weights.5.4.3.2.1 Plyometric

TUE) Cicuit 3 x 30 secs(track)

WED) Weights.7.7.7. Plyometric

THUR) Circuit 10 x 100m (ALL under 11 seconds walk back recovary)
    FRI) Weights (fast 10's) 1500m run

SAT) block starts

SUN) 6 TO 8 x 200m

SOME POINTS:
    1) Don't slag of linford Cristie because;
    a) His time of 9.87 at 93 world champs is
    superior to Carls 9.86 with a higher
    following wind.)

b) The reason Carls anchor leg in 92 was so
    fast is becuase he was fresh becuase he had not been competing in the 100m rounds, and because he had been resting up in luxary hotell.
    linford was staying in the olypic village on a bed that was half a foot to short, and queing over half an hour for meals.
    C) In 1992 Linford was kicking everyone's arse.
    D) In 93 " "
    E) In 94 " "
    F) In 95 Linford was kicking everbody's arse
    all season untill he got injured in the middle of the world championships 100m final.
    G) At 36 years of age he made the 96 olympic 100m final. It was his 3rd olympic 100m final(he won a medal in 88 final and of course won in 92)
    H) O.K. I'm a fan of Linford.

In his second autobiography he said he would "lift up to 300kg (661pounds) when squatting.."

At the time of above program his weights sessions
    included Bench Press, power clean, military press, squat, bent over row, forward and side lat raises and arm drives. He would do 5,4,3,2and 1rep
    for each exercise on monday. wed would be 3 sets of seven. Friday would be fast sets of 10 inc full squats instead of half. He was a fan of towing (often a tractor tyre).

Michael Johnsons Prgram before Barcelona
    Fall (September-October):6 Weeks-Grass Area
    Monday1. Ins and outs
    2. Loosen
    3. 6x100 Technique Runs (See drills)
    4. 12x200 @36
    5. Weights
    Tuesday
    1. Ins and outs
    2. Loosen
    3. 6x50 Technique RUns
    4. A: 4x350 @ 52.5 (35 sec. @ 200)
    10 minute rest intervals
    B: 4x600 @ 1.52 pace (75 sec. @ 400)
    10 minute rest intervals
    Wednesday1. Ins and Outs
    2. Loosen
    3. 10x50 Technique runs
    1 minute rest intervals
    4. 3x5 Long Hills
    2 minute rest intervals
    5. 1x800 jog
    6. Weights
    Thursday1. Ins and Outs
    2. Loosen
    3. 1 1/2 Miles Times Cross Country Run
    FridayWeights

Pre Season (November-December): 6 Weeks
    Monday
    1. Ins and Outs
    2. Loosen up
    3. A: 8x200 @ 32
    2 minute rest intervals
    B: 10x200 @32
    2 minute rest intervals
    4. Weights
    Tuesday
    1. Ins and Outs
    2. Loosen up
    3. 3x150 (Build Up)
    4. A: 2x350 @49 (28 sec. @ 200)
    10 minute rest intervals
    B: 2x150 @ 1:12.5 (58 sec @ 400)
    5. 1x200 @ 30
    6. 1x5 hills (100 yards)
    3 minute rest intervals
    Wednesday
    1. Ins and Outs
    2. Loosen up
    3. 3x150 build ups
    4. A: 3x250 @35 (28 sec. @ 200)
    10 minute rest interval
    B: 3x350 @ 250 @ 28 (49 sec. 400 pace)
    10 minute rest intervals
    5. 1x200 @ 30
    6. Weights
    Thursday
    1. Ins and Outs
    2. Loosen up
    3. 3x150 Build-ups
    4. A: 8x100 @ 7/8 Speed
    2 minute rest intervals
    B: 12x100 @ 7/8 speed
    2 minute rest intervals
    5. 2x5 hills (100 yards)
    3 minute rest intervals
    Friday
    1. Loosen up
    2. 3x150 Build-Ups
    3. A: 1x300@45
    10 minute rest interval
    1x200 @ 30
    5 minute rest interval
    1x110 @ 15
    5 minute rest interval
    1x200 @ 30
    5 minute rest interval
    1x330 @ 45
    10 minute rest interval
    B: 3x300 Event Runs @40 (28sec @ 200)
    10 minute rest intervals
    4. 1x200 @ 30
    5. Weights

some more

U.C.L.A. 100-400 Sprint Training
    John Smith
    University of California, Los Angeles

" The fall program is probably on of the most important parts of the UCLA overall training program. Our Sprint Training Program stems from when I ran at UCLA under coach Jim Bush. The program and the success of the program was the result from the base preperation running we did during the Fall. The FALL Training Program objectives are specifically:
    1. Conditioning Base
    2. How to run with Rhythm
    3. How to run with Relaxation

Many times sprinters do not want to go through the slow, tedious, mundane, hard, long work. I find that freshmen have a real bad time adjusting to competing at the collegiate level. They look to the internationl level athletes-they want to see what Edwin Moses' do and they want to run as they do; but they don't want to work as hard as they do. They don't realize that athletes at taht level have spent years developing themselves to be able to run well all of the time.
    I group the new younger athletes separately from the mor experienced runners. I have to motivate both groups and I find that it is equally a challenge because some of the older athletes think they can skip certain parts and get away with it; and the younger runners try to skip parts they don't want to do at all. I find that once we get a kind of understanding-that I run the show-that I prefer to coach men, not boys-they usually listen and go forward.
    I will give you a sample of what our workouts look like-and they will vary from time to time. All of our Fall workouts are done on the grass. I find it gets everyone out of racing and it gets them into thinking about conditioning. I try to think of how a young man is going to be able to run, especially in the 400m range-how he is going to run sub-43. We have three athletes who are running sub-44. People think I am crazy when I say sub-43; but if I don't give myself some goals I will run out of things to do. So I am trying to develop programs out of the knowledge that I was given by my coach, Jim Bush, and by other coaches whom I have come across. I have listened to them and I am trying to expand.
    Most of the work we do in the Fall is with short recovery intervals so that we can build a good cardiovascular base and some strength. It is difficult to get the big, bulky ****totypes or football player types to go out to run cross countr; so I try to develop other things that will challenge them.
    The High Knee drills gives them a chance to run at a tempo which is with an easy, open stride which will allow them just to run.
    FALL
    *All work is on the Grass

Mon: 8 to 10 x 600m w/200m walk or jog recovery
    H. Knees 4x100m w/ back
    Tues: tempo +=50m jog
    100+100+100 -=walk 100m between sets
    100+200+100+100
    100+100+200+200
    100+200+100+100 =2200
    100+100+100
    Wed: Power Speed
    6x20m A skip into 20 m cruise
    6x20m B skip " " "
    6x20m H. Knee " " "
    6x20m Heel rises
    6x20m Med Ball 1&2 into 20m cruise
    6x20m Roll over starts
    6x20m cruise-20m accel-20m cruise
    10x200m w/200m jog recovery

Thur: 200+200 +=100 jog
    200+300
    200+400
    200+500
    200+400
    200+300
    200+200
    4700m

Fri: 20 min to 30 min run

Sat: stretch/drills

Mondays the 600 meters may sometimes change to 9x300m with 100m walk or jog recovery, depending on the capability of the athlete. Those who cannot do that at all, I may drop down on to 10x200m with a 200m jog-walk recovery. It depends on the backgound of the athlete.
    I try to give them a base so that they can see a change each week or every three weeks. That is important because of they seem to be stuck at one point, they get very, very frustrated. I do not time anything during the Fall Conditioning Phase, because I concentrate on technique. I try to find those athletes who are having certain problems-some of them have arms flailing all over the place, heads up, etc. Steve Lewis for instance used to run with his head back, his arms out and he did everything wrong. He still ran faster than I did doing things correctly. So I figured if I was only able to get him to the track and give the benefit of my experience it would improve his technique and his efficiency of running. Then, when he runs against other experienced runners he will learn the rest. History show what he did in the Seoul Olympics.
    Tuesdays, instead of sending them out on the roads, (it is difficult to tell a sprinter "we are doing a thirty minute run"-they look at like "you crazy coach?") I try to do a drill I learned from the Poles. They would do a circuit kind of training-similar to that which Juantorino from Cuba did.
    That equals to a 2.2 Kilometers which is not much for some distance runners, but it is a great deal for a sprinter who runs only a 100 or 200 meters. This is also a tempo striding kind of movement. Each time they do this workout they get faster, and faster, and faster.
    When they get to the 200m and do a 50 meter jog and come back with another 200m, that is challenging. I don't care how fast they are running, it is difficult to carry a body weight over that distance, especially when it is previously backed up with about 700-800 meters of running.
    This teaches them how to run and then I try to instill them with the proper running technique..."

Well instead of copy pasting info from around the web I'm just gonna say thats what all the college caoches at my track camps tell me, they are from all around the country so its not really a biased opinion. The first one there to bring it up was the jumping coach who was in the olympics at one point.

Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Fat Boy,
    The routines you just gave dont seem that great. Olympic lifting wont alone take you to greatness on the track but it helps. By all means i was not trying tosay that olympic lifting alone would. THere are many many many factors other then olympic lifting that are needed. Such as:

Form
    Flexability
    Certain Biomechanic advantages and disatvantages
    ...etc...etc...etc...

The study with the olympic lifters and sprinters was dont by Dr. Yessis..first published in the Soviet Sports Review which iam going to be getting shortly. I have read many text that support olympic lifting in sprinters and athletes. The reason is b/c these lifts develop rate of force probably better then any other movement/exercise. I'am a very strong believer in them.

lifter

the routines i gave dont seem to great well the athletes that did them were, so something must be going right there.

I think if you looked at that training worked for those great athletes but o-lifting and plyo works for hundreds of other great athletes.