railm0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Good for a quick breakfast before work?

2 slices WW 190 34 3 1 7
    2tbsp PB 160 10 12 2 6
    1 scoop whey 118 2 0.5 0.1 27
    150ml milk 72 6.8 2.9 1.8 4.8

540 52.8 18.4 4.9 44.8

(CAL,CARB,FAT,SAT. FAT,PROT) Is the order on the chart

Remember a quick breakfast! Positive feedback/advice would be appreciated

androyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) androyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) androyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) androyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) androyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) androyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) androyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) androyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) androyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) androyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) androyd is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Are you currently cutting?

If so, I would take out the 2 slices of bread and throw 4 egg whites and 1 whole egg in there instead.

buddy72192 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buddy72192 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buddy72192 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buddy72192 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buddy72192 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buddy72192 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buddy72192 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buddy72192 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buddy72192 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buddy72192 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buddy72192 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'd suggest hard boiling some eggs and having a couple of those instead of the PB. Have the PB late at night for a snack.
    "Bodybuilding is much like any other sport. To be successful, you must dedicate yourself 100% to your training, diet and mental approach." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
    Reps/Life Ka0s

Originally Posted by androyd View Post
    Are you currently cutting?

If so, I would take out the 2 slices of bread and throw 4 egg whites and 1 whole egg in there instead.
    RIght now im just making quick meals until I come up with a full meal plan. I'm stuck in between cutting and bulking. I want to gain but I also want to cut. Basically I have been working out for years but never followed a proper meal plan. I eat healthy just dont take in everything I need to be. I'm reading other posts and getting ideas of what I should be taking in when bulking/cutting and the calorie deficit I should have for cutting. Is it even worth bulking for a month then cutting for the summer?

anonymous
    Personally I would get rid of the toast, and just add oats to my shake. 2 cups milk, 1 scoop whey, 2 tbl spoon peanutbutter, 1/2 cup oats, and blend together. Then eat a banana on the way out the door.

Originally Posted by xtreme261 View Post
    Personally I would get rid of the toast, and just add oats to my shake. 2 cups milk, 1 scoop whey, 2 tbl spoon peanutbutter, 1/2 cup oats, and blend together. Then eat a banana on the way out the door.
    Sounds good! Do you think bulking for a month then cutting for the summer is worth it or just start cutting now?

anonymous
    I would clean bulk until you reach a point you feel the need to cut, even if it takes months or years. I've never really done what I would call a cut, instead once I see to much fat gain in my core, I then drop the carbs more and up my intake of fats, but never change the calories much. I seem to do well like this, and since I have no desire to compete I would rather look good all year round instead of doing the whole bulk,and cut ordeal. Eat right over maint., and stick with the right macro percentage for you, and you shouldn't have to worry, about switching back and forth. Some will say otherwise, but from personal experience I can tell you what works for me. It does take longer to gain size this way, but at the same time you can keep a six pack all year long, and never have to worry about gorging yourself. I'm not trying to say whats right for you, just giving you another idea other than the standard bulk/cut deal. Why would I want to only look lean and fit 6 months out of the year? I hope you see the goals your after brother! peace!

androyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) androyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) androyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) androyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) androyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) androyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) androyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) androyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) androyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) androyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) androyd is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by railm0 View Post
    RIght now im just making quick meals until I come up with a full meal plan. I'm stuck in between cutting and bulking. I want to gain but I also want to cut. Basically I have been working out for years but never followed a proper meal plan. I eat healthy just dont take in everything I need to be. I'm reading other posts and getting ideas of what I should be taking in when bulking/cutting and the calorie deficit I should have for cutting. Is it even worth bulking for a month then cutting for the summer?
    The bottom line is that you want to build some lean muscle mass and burn fat. I'd say that's what 95% here want to do. You first need to figure out your BMR and daily caloric needs and plan your meals around that. But from your sample breakfast in your initial post, it looks like you lack some slower disgesting protein from whole foods that don't come with a ton of carbs and fat. That's why a few of us have suggested eggs. Oats are better than WW bread as well.

Here's my typical breakfast, which is NOT my pre-workout meal:

1 scoop whey w/1 cup milk IMMEDIATELY upon waking.

about 30 mins later:

4 egg whites + 1 whole egg
    1/2 cup regular oats (or 1/4 cup steel cut) boiled in water + 1bsp honey
    1 cup OJ

And I'm trying to do a very clean bulk while slightly cutting on stored fat. Of course my macros and caloric requirements are different than yours, but I'm just trying to give you an idea.

1 to 1.5 hours before workout, I will then eat:

1 can tuna
    2 pieces of WW bread OR 1 serving of WW Stone Ground Seasame crackers from Trader Joes (Ak-Mak brand)
    Last edited by androyd; 02-20-2008 at 11:23 AM.

The bottom line is that you want to build some lean muscle mass and burn fat. I'd say that's what 95% here want to do. You first need to figure out your BMR and daily caloric needs and plan your meals around that. But from your sample breakfast in your initial post, it looks like you lack some slower disgesting protein from whole foods that don't come with a ton of carbs and fat. That's why a few of us have suggested eggs. Oats are better than WW bread as well.

Here's my typical breakfast, which is NOT my pre-workout meal:

1 scoop whey w/1 cup milk IMMEDIATELY upon waking.

about 30 mins later:

4 egg whites + 1 whole egg
    1/2 cup regular oats (or 1/4 cup steel cut) boiled in water + 1bsp honey
    1 cup OJ

And I'm trying to do a very clean bulk while slightly cutting on stored fat. Of course my macros and caloric requirements are different than yours, but I'm just trying to give you an idea.

1 to 1.5 hours before workout, I will then eat:

1 can tuna
    2 pieces of WW bread OR 1 serving of WW Stone Ground Seasame crackers from Trader Joes (Ak-Mak brand)
    New to most of this stuff. How do I find my BMR and what exactly is this (no flame please)

New to most of this stuff. How do I find my BMR and what exactly is this (no flame please)
    No worries. I'm barely one week brand new to the nutrition world myself, so wouldn't even think of it. I do have a lot of free time at the moment, however, and am using most of it to learn all about clean foods and proper timing.

A couple BMR sites, I especially like the first one because it has more in-depth macro calculations:

http://michaelandkendra.com/BMRCALC/bmrcalc.htm

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

No worries. I'm barely one week brand new to the nutrition world myself, so wouldn't even think of it. I do have a lot of free time at the moment, however, and am using most of it to learn all about clean foods and proper timing.

A couple BMR sites, I especially like the first one because it has more in-depth macro calculations:

http://michaelandkendra.com/BMRCALC/bmrcalc.htm

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
    Amazing site thanks a lot. So I typed in my info:

BULKING:
    4229 CALS
    422.9 PROTEIN
    422.9 CARBS
    94 FAT

CUTTING:
    2229 CALS
    250 PROTEIN
    211 CARBS
    42 FAT

These look healthy? 5'11 201lbs

Amazing site thanks a lot. So I typed in my info:

BULKING:
    4229 CALS
    422.9 PROTEIN
    422.9 CARBS
    94 FAT

CUTTING:
    2229 CALS
    250 PROTEIN
    211 CARBS
    42 FAT

These look healthy? 5'11 201lbs
    Whether they look "healthy" or not is a matter of debate, you simply input your info into the site and it spit out the above information. Of course we woud all like to think this is a very solid guide to proper macros and calorie intake, but each person's body will react a bit differently to a certain diet, so just keep that in mind. In other words, this is a process that will most likely require some tweaking on your part at some point.

What I can say is that the above numbers look dramatically different, according to what direction you want to move in. The key here is to figure out what YOUR goals should be. Without seeing pictures of you, there's no way to say whether you should be cutting or bulking. For your listed height and weight, I assume you have a decent amount of muscle already, and therefore I might suggest a slight cut if anything. But again, I have no idea about your current body composition. For all I know you could be 10% BF and that 201 lbs could be mostly solid, dense muscle. But from your earlier post, it sounds like you still have a decent amount of fat that you're looking to get rid of? At the same time, of course, you don't want to lose much muscle in that process.

If you want a better idea of what YOUR plan should be, take some photos of yourself and post them on the forum asking people what your approximate BF% is and what plan you should be doing.. cutting or bulking. Or, you can go see a certified nutrionist who knows how to take an accurate BF% reading to find out exactly where you currently stand. Then, from there, you can plan your meals accordingly. But again, if I had to guess and from what I gather from your posts, I would imagine you should probably be doing at least a slight cut at this point.
    Last edited by androyd; 02-20-2008 at 12:33 PM.

Whether they look "healthy" or not is a matter of debate, you simply input your info into the site and it spit out the above information. Of course we woud all like to think this is a very solid guide to proper macros and calorie intake, but each person's body will react a bit differently to a certain diet, so just keep that in mind. In other words, this is a process that will most likely require some tweaking on your part at some point.

What I can say is that the above numbers look dramatically different, according to what direction you want to move in. The key here is to figure out what YOUR goals should be. Without seeing pictures of you, there's no way to say whether you should be cutting or bulking. For your listed height and weight, I assume you have a decent amount of muscle already, and therefore I might suggest a slight cut if anything. But again, I have no idea about your current body composition. For all I know you could be 10% BF and that 201 lbs could be mostly solid, dense muscle. But from your earlier post, it sounds like you still have a decent amount of fat that you're looking to get rid of? At the same time, of course, you don't want to lose much muscle in that process.

If you want a better idea of what YOUR plan should be, take some photos of yourself and post them on the forum asking people what your approximate BF% is and what plan you should be doing.. cutting or bulking. Or, you can go see a certified nutrionist who knows how to take an accurate BF% reading to find out exactly where you currently stand. Then, from there, you can plan your meals accordingly. But again, if I had to guess and from what I gather from your posts, I would imagine you should probably be doing at least a slight cut at this point.
    I will get pics up..... I have pics just none with no shirt, my camera needs new batteries first lol. I have a thick build, I will post a picture I have for the moment with a shirt on (for a basic idea of my size) until i can get a shirtless one going. I want to build a little more mass before i start to cut it.

I will get pics up..... I have pics just none with no shirt, my camera needs new batteries first lol. I have a thick build, I will post a picture I have for the moment with a shirt on (for a basic idea of my size) until i can get a shirtless one going. I want to build a little more mass before i start to cut it.

Wanting a little more mass is always understandable, but from your picture, a cut would probably make you very happy. It looks like you have a very solid foundation and probably wouldn't lose that much muscle, if at all, while cutting. Of course you'll still be lifting weights during this time, your diet will just be more perfected and cardio will probably have to increase. From that picture, a very rough guess is that you're anywhere from 13% on the low end to 16% BF on the high end.

Wanting a little more mass is always understandable, but from your picture, a cut would probably make you very happy. It looks like you have a very solid foundation and probably wouldn't lose that much muscle, if at all, while cutting. Of course you'll still be lifting weights during this time, your diet will just be more perfected and cardio will probably have to increase. From that picture, a very rough guess is that you're anywhere from 13% on the low end to 16% BF on the high end.
    Yea i was drafted to the OHL (hockey) played junoir A as well. Quit about 2 years ago and gained about 25lbs in 2 years or so. I could never gain weight when playing hockey because i was too active. So maybe I'll cut for a bit see if I like it.

2229 CALS
    250 PROTEIN
    211 CARBS
    42 FAT

That to low to cut for me?

Yea i was drafted to the OHL (hockey) played junoir A as well. Quit about 2 years ago and gained about 25lbs in 2 years or so. I could never gain weight when playing hockey because i was too active. So maybe I'll cut for a bit see if I like it.

2229 CALS
    250 PROTEIN
    211 CARBS
    42 FAT

That to low to cut for me?
    Again, I'm not the one to determine if that's too low for you. You entered the statistics into the site and it spit out those results. Overall, they look pretty good and you should be fine doing the above. Of course if you try sticking to those macros for a good 2 weeks to a month and you're finding that you're losing too much weight, or not enough, then of course you'll have to adjust your calories and macros accordingly. If you've never tried eating super clean before, you'll find that eating 2,229 calories of clean, whole foods is actually very challenging. Split those calories into 5 to 6 mini "meals" throughout the day and you'll find that you're NEVER hungry.

Here's an example of what I'm eating every day, this is what I did yesterday in fact. I'm currently trying to slowly, clean bulk and shooting for around 2,200 to 2,300 calories per day. Remember, the 2,200 to 2,300 figure is based on MY height, weight, and age and what it would require for ME to slow bulk, not cut like you:

8:15am
    1 scoop Whey
    1 cup Milk

9am
    1/4 cup Steel Oats
    4 Egg Whites
    1 Whole Egg
    1 cup OJ

12pm
    1/2 can Chicken Breast in Water
    5 Ak-mak Crackers

Workout 1:30-3:30pm

3:45pm
    1 scoop Whey
    1/2 cup Quaker Oats
    1 cup Milk

5:15pm
    4 slices Turkey (approx. 4 oz.)
    2 slices Low Fat Swiss
    1/2 can Chicken Breast

8:45pm
    1 Chicken Breast
    Raw Broccoli & Carrots w/Lite Ranch

11:45pm
    1 cup Cottage Cheese
    1 Banana

Totals: 2,200 Calories - 244g or 44% Protein, 193g or 35% Carbs, 44g or 20% Fat
    Last edited by androyd; 02-21-2008 at 10:59 AM.

Dooly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dooly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dooly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dooly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dooly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dooly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dooly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dooly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Also to help find out macros...someone gave me these links which are pretty cool....

Macro breakdown - http://www.freedieting.com/tools/nut...calculator.htm

Calorie Calculator - http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Again, I'm not the one to determine if that's too low for you. You entered the statistics into the site and it spit out those results. Overall, they look pretty good and you should be fine doing the above. Of course if you try sticking to those macros for a good 2 weeks to a month and you're finding that you're losing too much weight, or not enough, then of course you'll have to adjust your calories and macros accordingly. If you've never tried eating super clean before, you'll find that eating 2,229 calories of clean, whole foods is actually very challenging. Split those calories into 5 to 6 mini "meals" throughout the day and you'll find that you're NEVER hungry.

Here's an example of what I'm eating every day, this is what I did yesterday in fact. I'm currently trying to slowly, clean bulk and shooting for around 2,200 to 2,300 calories per day. Remember, the 2,200 to 2,300 figure is based on MY height, weight, and age and what it would require for ME to slow bulk, not cut like you:

8:15am
    1 scoop Whey
    1 cup Milk

9am
    1/4 cup Steel Oats
    4 Egg Whites
    1 Whole Egg
    1 cup OJ

12pm
    1/2 can Chicken Breast in Water
    5 Ak-mak Crackers

Workout 1:30-3:30pm

3:45pm
    1 scoop Whey
    1/2 cup Quaker Oats
    1 cup Milk

5:15pm
    4 slices Turkey (approx. 4 oz.)
    2 slices Low Fat Swiss
    1/2 can Chicken Breast

8:45pm
    1 Chicken Breast
    Raw Broccoli & Carrots w/Lite Ranch

11:45pm
    1 cup Cottage Cheese
    1 Banana

Totals: 2,200 Calories - 244g or 44% Protein, 193g or 35% Carbs, 44g or 20% Fat
    What are the stats on the quaker and the steel cut oats? So I can look into those?

What are the stats on the quaker and the steel cut oats? So I can look into those?
    Their macros are the exact same PER GRAM of serving. The only difference is in appearance and texture, with most saying that steel cut are better for you because of their complexity to digest. Personally, I like the taste of regular oats much better, but I save those for my immediate PWO shake which taste absolutely amazing in the shake. I eat steel cut in the morning with a dash of honey.

1/2 cup dry regular oats (40g): 150 cal: 3g F, 27g C, 5g P
    1/4 cup dry steel cut oats (40g): 150 cal: 3g F, 27g C, 5g P

Regular oats are just oats that are rolled flat, whereas the steel cut are oats made from the kernel of the oat only, with the kernel being cut into small pieces.

Their macros are the exact same PER GRAM of serving. The only difference is in appearance and texture, with most saying that steel cut are better for you because of their complexity to digest. Personally, I like the taste of regular oats much better, but I save those for my immediate PWO shake which taste absolutely amazing in the shake. I eat steel cut in the morning with a dash of honey.

1/2 cup dry regular oats (40g): 150 cal: 3g F, 27g C, 5g P
    1/4 cup dry steel cut oats (40g): 150 cal: 3g F, 27g C, 5g P

Regular oats are just oats that are rolled flat, whereas the steel cut are oats made from the kernel of the oat only, with the kernel being cut into small pieces.
    Sounds great... Gunna head to the store so I can add these to my meal plan I'm making... Want to have this meal plan up by tomorrow hopefully for critiquing!