Amac8487 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Amac8487 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Amac8487 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Amac8487 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Amac8487 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Amac8487 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Anabolic or Catabolic?

Alright guys, ive been wondering this for awhile now. Im sure its a REALLY dumb question, but hey, how else do we learn?

Ok, so i know its important to eat about 30-50g of protein along with carbs after a workout, because your body is in a highly anabolic state... correct?

Well, say i do chest, shoulders and tris, then i decide to run/jump rope/ bike (anyhting cardio) for a good 25-30 minutes. Is my body STILL in that high need state, or are my muscles already starting to heal up. Im jsut wondering that if i wait 30 minutes after lifting and go run, am i not going to get the full benefit of injesting protein and carbs post workout?

Protobuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Protobuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Protobuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Protobuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Protobuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Protobuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I think that's a pretty good question, actually. I'm not real certain of the "right" answer, but that never stops me. LoL There's a lot of debate on just how important it is to eat afterwards, what you should eat, how long you can wait, etc. Honestly, I don't think cardio after weights will make much difference so long as you get your shake w/in 60 minutes of lifting. It also depends on what's important to you. If your goal is mass at all costs, then you'd probably want to spread your cardio out by 6-8 hours or do it on your off days. But if you enjoy running after lifting, I think you'd be OK to run afterwards, just get your shake in w/in 60 min's or so.

Lifting depletes certain substances in the muscles and surrounding cells. Thus, afterwards, your body is in a state where it will "supercompensate" and uptake more nutrients than it would normally. So you take advantage of this by taking a shake or just eating a big meal. There's no deadline when this process stops. It's more like a continuum. So, it may be "optimal" to drink your shake AS SOON AS you set down your last dumbbell . .. but if you wait until you're walking out the gym door, you'll be OK. Understand? And if you wait until you drive home from the gym, you'd still be OK but there's probably some dropoff the longer you wait and eventually the window will close, but this may be a couple of hours after lifting. Most people seem to think the first hour is the most important. But people make good gains w/ out being super anal about when they drink their shake. And plenty of guys just hit up the BurgerKing or a Chinese buffet on their way home from the gym and they grow too. So I'd say it's a preference. Try to eat w/in 60 min's, and if jogging is important to you, go ahead and do it. It won't kill you to wait 20-30 minutes to down your shake/eat. That's my opinion.

Amac8487 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Amac8487 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Amac8487 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Amac8487 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Amac8487 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Amac8487 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Protobuilder
    I think that's a pretty good question, actually. I'm not real certain of the "right" answer, but that never stops me. LoL There's a lot of debate on just how important it is to eat afterwards, what you should eat, how long you can wait, etc. Honestly, I don't think cardio after weights will make much difference so long as you get your shake w/in 60 minutes of lifting. It also depends on what's important to you. If your goal is mass at all costs, then you'd probably want to spread your cardio out by 6-8 hours or do it on your off days. But if you enjoy running after lifting, I think you'd be OK to run afterwards, just get your shake in w/in 60 min's or so.

Lifting depletes certain substances in the muscles and surrounding cells. Thus, afterwards, your body is in a state where it will "supercompensate" and uptake more nutrients than it would normally. So you take advantage of this by taking a shake or just eating a big meal. There's no deadline when this process stops. It's more like a continuum. So, it may be "optimal" to drink your shake AS SOON AS you set down your last dumbbell . .. but if you wait until you're walking out the gym door, you'll be OK. Understand? And if you wait until you drive home from the gym, you'd still be OK but there's probably some dropoff the longer you wait and eventually the window will close, but this may be a couple of hours after lifting. Most people seem to think the first hour is the most important. But people make good gains w/ out being super anal about when they drink their shake. And plenty of guys just hit up the BurgerKing or a Chinese buffet on their way home from the gym and they grow too. So I'd say it's a preference. Try to eat w/in 60 min's, and if jogging is important to you, go ahead and do it. It won't kill you to wait 20-30 minutes to down your shake/eat. That's my opinion.
    Ahh very good reply

Yeah, im trying to bulk. Not necessarily a bulk diet... jsut trying to keep my calories high. I have a high metabolism, so i dont want to run them all away, but you know what i meant

I dont run everyday, just like wendsdays and fridays usually, and not for too long, i just want my heart to stay strong.