SuperCammy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SuperCammy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SuperCammy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SuperCammy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How do I get my period back and keep it?

Hello everyone. It seems whenever I start to finally get nice and lean after working out for a while, I stop getting my period. I've been eating a lot more soy lately, and I've been doing heaps of cardio and crunches and some weights. This is pretty much what I did a couple of years back as well, and I lost my period for over a year before it finally came back when I started getting fat again.

I don't want to be fat, and my short size and body type makes sure I ONLY look good when I'm slim. My boobs don't get bigger when I put on weight, only my stomach does, so I look pregnant unless I'm super trim. It's genetic I guess.

I want to get buff, have some decent muscle, but I don't want to lose too much weight, just fat! Can I only get my period back if I put on fat, or can I get it back if I have enough muscle mass? Should I cut out the soy? (I read somewhere that it has a hormone in it that replaces estrogen in your body, maybe this is why I lose my period, too much tofu?)

I would really love some help. I can't ask anyone about it in real life.

Oh yeah, and I thought I should say, I'm not exactly skinny or cut yet either, I still have plenty of fat around my middle, although my abs are finally starting to show through the fat. But I'm not anorexic or anything!
    Last edited by SuperCammy; 02-19-2008 at 03:46 PM.

Buff bride to be imperfectly_lou's Avatar
    imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I would recommend you go and see a gyno and get their opinion (I can recommend a good one in Sydney if that's where you are). There may be more going on here than simply you getting too lean. Unfortunately, some women do lose their period once they drop under 18% even though others may be still fine at 10%. But the consequences of not menstruating (osteoporosis, fertility etc) are worth getting it checked out. The gyno may recommend you go on an oral contraceptive to restore your cycle.
    September 2006 - 9km Sydney Harbour Bridge Run - 45:25
    August 2007 - 14km City to Surf - 77:00
    September 2007 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - Withdrawn due to stress fractures :(
    September 2008 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - 1:59.22
    May 2009 - Sydney Morning Herald Half Marathon - 1:53:22

Official Fitness Fanatic trainwithrae's Avatar
    trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50) trainwithrae will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    def go to your doctor and get this checked out. Don't play around with it.
    MuscleTech Sponsored Athlete
    Want your best body?
    www.trainwithrae.com

SuperCammy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SuperCammy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SuperCammy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SuperCammy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I went to a gyno about a year ago, after not having my period for about a year, and while she prescribed me a pill that I didn't take, she did scare me into eating more. So for about a year I've been pretty plump again (I used to be really fat) and I had my period back, but I'm trying to buff up and trim the fat off for a convention I'm going to, but my period is about a week late.

I'm not in Sydney, I'm closer to the Gold Coast unfortunately, and I can't actually afford to see another gyno at the moment, but I suppose I could see about getting the pill prescription renewed. I just don't want to get really fat again (I got fat the first time after I went on the pill).

Is there any way of gaining fat on my arms and chest, and not on my abdomen? I feel like I'm cursed.

JessFM is on a distinguished road. (+10) JessFM is on a distinguished road. (+10) JessFM is on a distinguished road. (+10) JessFM is on a distinguished road. (+10) JessFM is on a distinguished road. (+10) JessFM is on a distinguished road. (+10) JessFM is on a distinguished road. (+10) JessFM is on a distinguished road. (+10) JessFM is on a distinguished road. (+10) JessFM is on a distinguished road. (+10) JessFM is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    There's a great article in the new issue of Oxygen about ammenorhia (lack of periods). They claim that a period can be jump-started by introducing more complex carbs into the diet.
    The article is worth a read.

But definitely see a doctor about it- your doc can do blood tests to make sure there aren't any underlying problems- and there are plenty of pills out there that do not cause weight gain!

Good luck!

gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000)
    Unfortunately, your long lack of a period will, by now, have had a detrimental effect on your bones. It's common for young women who've experienced amenorrhea for a few years to have to bones of women in their 50's-60's. You need to go to both a gyno and a general practitioner to see if you can have a bone density scan so you can get started on some meds for your bone loss if necessary.

This isn't meant to be alarmist...calcium is leeched from your bones quickly when you don't menstruate, it's not a slow process.

Thanks for all the help, girls! I really wish we got Oxygen magazine over here, I'll try and find a copy online perhaps. I have kinda gone off of the complex carbs in the last two weeks a bit, mainly through being poor, but I'll grab some oats down at the shop later.

Luckily, it was a bit of a false alarm! I just got my period, it's not very heavy though, and it's about a week late, so I know I have to eat more (since I've been working out more as well).

Again, thank you everyone.

I haven't had a bone density scan, but that scares the crap out of me. I only lost my period for about a year, and then got it back. I've still got it (luckily) although it came late. Is there a natural/dietary alternative to going on medication for increasing bone density?

imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The US version of Oxygen is available at Borders in Australia if you have one nearby. Don't buy the Aussie version, its crap....

Re taking the pill - numerous scientific studies have shown the Pill does NOT cause weight gain. It can however, cause increased appetite (if you eat more, yes you do gain weight!) and some brands cause water retention. I used to take Loette (for nearly 10yrs) and its an extremely low dose one and I never had any problems...

PS Glad you got ur period!
    September 2007 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - Withdrawn due to stress fractures :(

Originally Posted by SuperCammy View Post
    I haven't had a bone density scan, but that scares the crap out of me. I only lost my period for about a year, and then got it back. I've still got it (luckily) although it came late. Is there a natural/dietary alternative to going on medication for increasing bone density?
    Resistance training plus a minimum of 1000mg calcium a day plus adequate Vit d (not usually a problem if you live in Australia). Your continue to build bone density into your mid 20s so it isn't too late for you but all the treatment in the world will not help if you aren't menstruating.

gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm glad to hear it showed up. I'd still recommend going to both doc's and taking B.C. if they give it to you. IMO, it's better to gain some water weight than suffer osteopenia in your 20's.

juicy123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i lost my period also....havent gotten it for a year now. I train really hard and intensly but I also like to eat alot so I'm not supper skinny. I'm using progesterone cream now.....hope thats going to get my period back! I've been using it for two weeks and no luck yet......

darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I don't want to be fat, and my short size and body type makes sure I ONLY look good when I'm slim. My boobs don't get bigger when I put on weight, only my stomach does, so I look pregnant unless I'm super trim. It's genetic I guess.
    The "I look pregnant" comment sounds like abdominal bloating which could be due to food intolerances or female issues. Either way, it's something you want to look into.

Juicy, are you used a prescribed or over the counter progesterone cream? I understand the OTC version doesn't do a whole lot. Also, from what I've read, if you're using a progesterone cream, you have your period on the days you cycle OFF the cream.

guy121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guy121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guy121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guy121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guy121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guy121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guy121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guy121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guy121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guy121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guy121 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    So not having your period is a bad thing? My girlfriend has an IUD that makes it so she no longer has her period. So should she be taking calcium pills on top of her multivitamin?

Why would doctors put in an IUD without telling people of the risks involved? Well I haven't actually talked to my gf about it, but I would figure she would mention something like this to me if the doctor had told her.

Originally Posted by guy121 View Post
    So not having your period is a bad thing? My girlfriend has an IUD that makes it so she no longer has her period. So should she be taking calcium pills on top of her multivitamin?

Why would doctors put in an IUD without telling people of the risks involved? Well I haven't actually talked to my gf about it, but I would figure she would mention something like this to me if the doctor had told her.
    Her period is prevented for different reasons, this is related to body fat and caloric intake. IUD's, just like any contraceptive, have risks though.

BeccaBaby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I guess I am part of this club. I have my period once a year. (very light) I do intense training but have a bf of 22%. I do consume complex carbs and non-fat dairy products every day. I no longer take the pill. if i had to in order just to get my period, I would be neglectful. (yes, no sex for me) I also had a blood test done and everything came out normal. But....no bone density scan. Scary! I believe for me it's genetic. Just a lil more extreme.

I heard that it is ok not to have periods. Actually, the less you have the more healthy you are. Don't know how true that is. I have to admit, no PMS is Fab.

Though, I guess I should see a doc and take some calcium vits.
    Forever Fit, Rebecca

cardio_girl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cardio_girl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cardio_girl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cardio_girl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cardio_girl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cardio_girl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cardio_girl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cardio_girl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cardio_girl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cardio_girl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cardio_girl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i get my period like 3 or 4 times a year. i can definitely say its hereditary because a lot of the older women in my extended family seem to have the same issue. i hadn't really thought about the calcium deficiency side of it...my main concern is fertility, but my doctor seems to think irregular period doesn't cause infertility ..so im praying he's right!!
    "Be willing to be uncomfortable. Be comfortable being uncomfortable. It may get tough, but it's a small price to pay for living a dream."

Originally Posted by guy121 View Post
    Why would doctors put in an IUD without telling people of the risks involved?
    Hahaha, doctors don't give a rat's ass about you or anyone else. To them, the sicker you are, the more money they get. Doctors, and the government have been force feeding harmful pills to the unsuspecting populace for a long time, and it's a rare occasion when they actually ever do warn of the side effects. Just look at all the brain disorders that are being caused by people taking certain anti-depressants. Often they will give you a pill that causes a side effect, then rather than telling you to go OFF the drug, they'll just give you another pill to mask the side effect, which in turn will almost certainly cause OTHER side effects through the body. They can be dustruction of the stomach lining (causing a B12 deficiency in the long term), brain deterioration, rashes, growths...

I know some poor old people who are taking over ten different medications each day, all because the FIRST one they started taking screwed their body up so much that they need (or think they need) all these other pills to fix them. Each one is doing more damage than good half the time.

If you have a problem, there's nothing wrong with seeing a doctor. Just don't trust them indefinitely, try to get a second or third opinion, or do the research yourself on the internet. People are far too trusting these days, be cautious.

She-Raa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by juicy123 View Post
    i lost my period also....havent gotten it for a year now. I train really hard and intensly but I also like to eat alot so I'm not supper skinny. I'm using progesterone cream now.....hope thats going to get my period back! I've been using it for two weeks and no luck yet......
    Have you had any luck with Progesterone Cream?

sarasayshi is just really nice. (+1000) sarasayshi is just really nice. (+1000) sarasayshi is just really nice. (+1000) sarasayshi is just really nice. (+1000) sarasayshi is just really nice. (+1000) sarasayshi is just really nice. (+1000) sarasayshi is just really nice. (+1000) sarasayshi is just really nice. (+1000) sarasayshi is just really nice. (+1000) sarasayshi is just really nice. (+1000) sarasayshi is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by cardio_girl View Post
    i get my period like 3 or 4 times a year. i can definitely say its hereditary because a lot of the older women in my extended family seem to have the same issue. i hadn't really thought about the calcium deficiency side of it...my main concern is fertility, but my doctor seems to think irregular period doesn't cause infertility ..so im praying he's right!!
    I had very irregular periods as a teen and young adult. I had my period once or twice a year until I was 19 and then at 19, I went an entire year without it. I had to use pregnancy tests every month during those years because I just didn't know anymore.

I have been heavy my entire life and my doctor told me that losing weight would help me to be regular. To jumpstart it she gave me some progesterone in the pill form and I had a period from hell that was heavy for 9 days straight and the stuff that was coming out was pretty damn scary. One month later she then started me on the pill to regulate my period. I did have a regular period every single month after that for the 7 years I was on it, I also went from my highest weight of 280 lbs down to 171. I went off the pill because my then husband and I decided at 25 yrs old we were ready to start a family. I got knocked up just 2 weeks after stopping my pill.

Anyhow, just wanted to give you some hope that your doctor may be right about irregular periods not necessarily leading to infertility but you should definitely look into the pill for regulating it.

aussiemommy will become famous soon enough. (+50) aussiemommy will become famous soon enough. (+50) aussiemommy will become famous soon enough. (+50) aussiemommy will become famous soon enough. (+50) aussiemommy will become famous soon enough. (+50) aussiemommy will become famous soon enough. (+50) aussiemommy will become famous soon enough. (+50) aussiemommy will become famous soon enough. (+50) aussiemommy will become famous soon enough. (+50) aussiemommy will become famous soon enough. (+50) aussiemommy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I was almost exactly your age when I was diagnosed with polycystic ovaries. They cause your AF (aunt flo/period ) to disappear or only show up irregularly. I had gone through a phase where I lowered my bodyfat and was consuming a lot of soy products (tofu/tempeh/soy milk). My AF disappeared suddenly for 4 months, so I went to the GP and had to pressure her to send me for an ultrasound.

I basically stopped having soy products for a while, and had blood tests to see whether I was ovulating, which I was. I wasn't planning on TTC at that stage but wanted to make sure I could if we decided to. The good news is I went on to conceive my son naturally when I was 28 (he is now 3.5 y.o.)

Definitely look into it, you don't want to mess around with your fertility.