Flair4TheGold is not very well liked. (-100) Flair4TheGold is not very well liked. (-100) Flair4TheGold is not very well liked. (-100) Flair4TheGold is not very well liked. (-100) Flair4TheGold is not very well liked. (-100) Flair4TheGold is not very well liked. (-100) Flair4TheGold is not very well liked. (-100) Flair4TheGold is not very well liked. (-100) Flair4TheGold is not very well liked. (-100) Flair4TheGold is not very well liked. (-100) Flair4TheGold is not very well liked. (-100)

Benefits of dumbbell vs. barbell bench press?

Is dumbbell bench press or barbell bench press more effective for chest? I primarily use dumbbells for bench press. Should I just continue with dumbbells or switch it up and go back to barbells? Thanks, great website by the way.

HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Flair4TheGold View Post
    Is dumbbell bench press or barbell bench press more effective for chest? I primarily use dumbbells for bench press. Should I just continue with dumbbells or switch it up and go back to barbells? Thanks, great website by the way.
    Dumbbell requires more stabilizing muscles and I have noticed i don't use as much leg push while doing dumbbells, making it more of a concentrated chest movement, so i feel it more then barbell...however, I do a lot less weight with dumbbells....WHat i do, is switch it up..because working the stabilizing muscles will help you get a bigger flat barbell bench...

Flair4TheGold is not very well liked. (-100) Flair4TheGold is not very well liked. (-100) Flair4TheGold is not very well liked. (-100) Flair4TheGold is not very well liked. (-100) Flair4TheGold is not very well liked. (-100) Flair4TheGold is not very well liked. (-100) Flair4TheGold is not very well liked. (-100) Flair4TheGold is not very well liked. (-100) Flair4TheGold is not very well liked. (-100) Flair4TheGold is not very well liked. (-100) Flair4TheGold is not very well liked. (-100)
    I've always liked dumbbells for this exercise because I feel like I'm getting a better work out. I think the barbell method provides for a lot of showboating and a loss of form. You know the types who are trying to bench 500 pounds yet have someone basically pulling the bar up the entire time while they are lifting...

wookalark is on a distinguished road. (+10) wookalark is on a distinguished road. (+10) wookalark is on a distinguished road. (+10) wookalark is on a distinguished road. (+10) wookalark is on a distinguished road. (+10) wookalark is on a distinguished road. (+10) wookalark is on a distinguished road. (+10) wookalark is on a distinguished road. (+10) wookalark is on a distinguished road. (+10) wookalark is on a distinguished road. (+10) wookalark is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Rotate each through your workout schedule. You could do flat bb bench followed by incline db bench. Each have pro's and con's.

double__j has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) double__j has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) double__j has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) double__j has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) double__j has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) double__j has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) double__j has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) double__j has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) double__j has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) double__j has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) double__j has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Flat BB bench with SHOULDER BLADES RETRACTED is the best imo.
    "Before you cut, get something to cut around" - Me

"If you think you're eating enough, YOU'RE NOT" - nutsy54

Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by wookalark View Post
    Rotate each through your workout schedule. You could do flat bb bench followed by incline db bench. Each have pro's and con's.
    X2

It seems like the rolling of the shoulders back is a key component of most exercises. I do the same thing while using dumbbells in this exercise. I think what I will do is continue using dumbbells but when I feel I've hit a plateau on the max weight, I'll switch over to using barbells again.

Also, I've been using the 3 Day Full Body Workout as suggested in the main article on this website. It's been working great. It also helps that I'm going to the gym to workout instead of socialize. I didn't realize that your best results happen in the range of 45 minutes to 1 hour.

n00b in WI will become famous soon enough. (+50) n00b in WI will become famous soon enough. (+50) n00b in WI will become famous soon enough. (+50) n00b in WI will become famous soon enough. (+50) n00b in WI will become famous soon enough. (+50) n00b in WI will become famous soon enough. (+50) n00b in WI will become famous soon enough. (+50) n00b in WI will become famous soon enough. (+50) n00b in WI will become famous soon enough. (+50) n00b in WI will become famous soon enough. (+50) n00b in WI will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Question

I do two chest days a week now..I'm really trying to develop my pecs more. I'm wondering..should I do a day of all barbell exercises and a day of dumbbell? Or how about a heavy day and a light day with the exercises mixed up? How do I decide how to combine them? Like INCLINE DB, FLAT BB, DECLINE DB...what do you guys do?

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    Another time honored db vs. bb thread. This day is now COMPLETE!

Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by DiamondDelts View Post
    Another time honored db vs. bb thread. This day is now COMPLETE!
    what do you do for chest? i want a better bench, judging by your stats, lemme know..unless its a secret

but x2..we up to 10 on the week yet?
    IG = @ Bmur18 - Follow me and message for reps

**BMBC...MANG!**

rep back 10k+

antish has a spectacular aura about. (+250) antish has a spectacular aura about. (+250) antish has a spectacular aura about. (+250) antish has a spectacular aura about. (+250) antish has a spectacular aura about. (+250) antish has a spectacular aura about. (+250) antish has a spectacular aura about. (+250) antish has a spectacular aura about. (+250) antish has a spectacular aura about. (+250) antish has a spectacular aura about. (+250) antish has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by lax28 View Post
    what do you do for chest? i want a better bench, judging by your stats, lemme know..unless its a secret

dude, he's 130 lbs and he does not even bench.

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by lax28 View Post

My uber stats can not be matched by just any ordinary man. It takes years of patience and hard work to move the amount of iron that I do. I make the weights "do what it do".

buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    so many of these fuken threads, just do what works for you and stop splitting hairs, why dont you just do them both and stop trying to figure out which is going to give you the most effective results, there both known to work.. by your avatar it doesn't matter what you did, go outside and lift a rock that will work

DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    One big advantage of DBs is that I'll never drop a bar on my chest while working out alone.

strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    dumbbells give you more of an ability to lose control and slam the weight on your head

please, give it a shot!
    or do us all a favor and SEARCH. here, here's a flashlight for your journey...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/search...chid=103329931

and there are probably many other threads not listed, because people don't know how to spell DUMB BELL.
    Last edited by strawser9; 02-22-2008 at 02:46 AM.
    --I'm afraid of what I don't believe in--

Babysittah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by wookalark View Post
    Absolutely agree with you. By the way push-ups are for good too!
    http://www.love-vs-hate.com/ - how
    http://www.mybestcity.com/ - many
    http://www.newbabyassistant.com/ - mics

Baradir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baradir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baradir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baradir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baradir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baradir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baradir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baradir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baradir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baradir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baradir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    There are downsides to DBs aswell, its very easy to lose form when using them, I'd recommend starting with a BB and then moving on to DBs, but if you think your form is great when using the DBs, why not keep doing them?
    Did Matt Furey for a month.
    Did Arnolds beginner program for a month.
    Starting out Rippetoes now, checking back in a few weeks with stats :)

vulaj15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vulaj15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vulaj15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vulaj15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vulaj15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    stop bein a puss and do em both
    5X5 4 LIFE!!!!

rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This is at least the third such thread I've seen in recent days.

I'll just add: If you have any shoulder issues, using dumbbells sometimes helps because they allow more freedom of movement.

jtbmoore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jtbmoore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jtbmoore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jtbmoore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jtbmoore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jtbmoore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jtbmoore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jtbmoore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jtbmoore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jtbmoore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jtbmoore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by rocketman44 View Post
    I'll just add: If you have any shoulder issues, using dumbbells sometimes helps because they allow more freedom of movement.
    I seperated my shoulder almost a year ago and I can not do BB bench. I have not problems doing DB though.

zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Flair4TheGold View Post
    egh..since your the only 1 who really knows what works for you, id just experiement and see what works for you