Registered User mardydagymjunky's Avatar
    mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50)

ricotta or cottage cheese

mum wants me to get ricotta because we can buy that by the kg at my supermarket but you can only by cottage cheese by the kilo, so mum thinks it would be cheaper to get ricotta because it will be in bulk, whats the differnce between the two in terms of protein content and healthiness??
    Get big or die trying.

saw14 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) saw14 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) saw14 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) saw14 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) saw14 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) saw14 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) saw14 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) saw14 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) saw14 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) saw14 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) saw14 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by mardydagymjunky
    mum wants me to get ricotta because we can buy that by the kg at my supermarket but you can only by cottage cheese by the kilo, so mum thinks it would be cheaper to get ricotta because it will be in bulk, whats the differnce between the two in terms of protein content and healthiness??
    they are virtually the same except cottage cheese curds are larger and ricotta tend to be slightly more dry, but not too much more. becareful though, from the sounds of it your mom is seeing larger ricotta but those tend to be full fat or part skim. its rare to find a large tub of fat free ricotta cheese but some brands make it.
    this signature was purchased by melon:

"incongruous penguin"

iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I'm confused....did you mean CC by the lb or something? Cuz kilo and kg are the same in my books....;\

Also, most FF or low fat ricotta has only about half the protein of CC and more carbs....1/2 the protein isn't worth it to me, i'd try to convince her to stick with CC
    Last edited by iceman338; 03-20-2006 at 07:56 AM.
    Age 22
    Current 155lb w/ a hurting back :-(
    5'11"

mike2858 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mike2858 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mike2858 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mike2858 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mike2858 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mike2858 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mike2858 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mike2858 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mike2858 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mike2858 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mike2858 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    fat free CC tastes better than ff ricotta in my opinion.
    Cutting Log- Melting Point, Basic Cuts, Sesamin, Camp
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=9764609#post9764609

Universal Shock Therapy, NOX3, Storm
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=724885

saw14 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) saw14 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) saw14 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) saw14 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) saw14 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) saw14 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) saw14 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) saw14 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) saw14 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) saw14 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) saw14 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by iceman338
    I'm confused....did you mean CC by the lb or something? Cuz kilo and kg are the same in my books....;\

Also, most FF or low fat ricotta has only about half the protein of CC and more carbs....1/2 the protein isn't worth it to me, i'd try to convince her to stick with CC
    it has half of the protein because its half the serving size. a serving of ricotta is usually a 1/4 cup whereas cc is 1/2 cup.

"incongruous penguin"

iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by saw14
    it has half of the protein because its half the serving size. a serving of ricotta is usually a 1/4 cup whereas cc is 1/2 cup.
    No actually....i checked online and did a comparison of 1 oz of each....most brands (it varies slightly) have less protein in ricotta...
    Age 22
    Current 155lb w/ a hurting back :-(
    5'11"

Registered User mardydagymjunky's Avatar
    mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    yeah im definately going to try convince her to get cottage cheese, i tried a small bit of ricotta and i dont really like the taste, its not that bad but i prefer cottage, btw, sorry iceman, i missed typed earlier, i meant i can only buy cottage cheese buy the container,sorry about the confusion
    If i cant get cottage ill go on strike, and beg to her and tell her ill starve otherwise
    Get big or die trying.

becoming godsized! bodybuilder45's Avatar
    bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    cottage cheese is mostly casein protein and ricotta cheese is mostly whey protein.

Originally Posted by bodybuilder45
    cottage cheese is mostly casein protein and ricotta cheese is mostly whey protein.
    where did you learn that?

"incongruous penguin"

Old School Bodybuilder Frank_The_Tank's Avatar
    Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by bodybuilder45

Today shoprite had containers of Ricotta for $.25 so I picked up a couple of the 1% ones. Personally I prefer the texture of Ricotta to Cottage.

Edit: I just looked it up and you are correct. Cottage cheese= Casein whereas Ricotta Cheese= Whey.
    http://magazines.ivillage.com/goodho...291552,00.html
    Last edited by Frank_The_Tank; 04-26-2006 at 06:07 PM.

Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by saw14 View Post
    they are virtually the same except cottage cheese curds are larger and ricotta tend to be slightly more dry, but not too much more.

Ricotta and Cottage Cheese have the same calories, protein and fat?

Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by bodybuilder45 View Post

You know Whey is the protein scum that builds at the top when you pasterize milk. During the pre-70's they used to dump this stuff in landfills. But, because the demand for milk was climbing, landfills started getting overfilled from Whey.

So some scientist had to find a way to make use of this waste and thus came the first protein shakes make from Whey..

Read the history, its very interesting and one of the greatest food/agricultural discoveries of the century.

Crunchbar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crunchbar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crunchbar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crunchbar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crunchbar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crunchbar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crunchbar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crunchbar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crunchbar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crunchbar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crunchbar is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    cottage cheese is a higher quality protein i have heard, cuss it is higher percent cascein which is optimal for that kinda thing. Anyways ricotta usually has very high fat content but i foudn a fatfree brand where i live.

I eat both ricotta and cottage i love to mix it together!

Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by bodybuilder45 View Post
    This man is correct

Registered User monolithdigital's Avatar
    monolithdigital has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) monolithdigital has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) monolithdigital has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) monolithdigital has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) monolithdigital has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) monolithdigital has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) monolithdigital has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) monolithdigital has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) monolithdigital has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) monolithdigital has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) monolithdigital has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Whey is the main ingredient in ricotta, it means 'twice cooked' in italian. You take the left over whey and lactose after making milk and boil it again, this is the residue.

Cottage cheese is the base that other cheeses are made from basically, this it is from the inital seperating of milk, hence, mostly casein
    $lt type a personnel message &gt

bggb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yep absolutely correct ricotta for whey and cottage cheese for caesin. which one you choose to have depends on when you are using it as the proteins work in different ways whey extreamily fast obsorbed protein whereas caesin is obsorbed slowly very slowly. however when you add fat it slows down the obsorbtion of the protein so the fat content of the cheese is also a factor for the reason stated and the obviouse. so whey is good for after workouts due to it being digested very fast and caesin any other time especialy before bed. caesin fills you up for longer aswell whereas whey is very light