Thread: Need your help!

jameschowler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Need your help!

For the last 2 weeks i have been going to the gym with a friend and neither of us have done weights before. I have a few questions it would be great if you could help me out The main things I'm trying to do is build muscle size and strength. I am going to go to the gym 4 times a week as its close by, but i will leave plenty of recovery time per muscle group.

1. Should you concentrate on one muscle group per session? e.g. back and biceps, chest and triceps, shoulders...
    2. Is 3 sets of 10 reps optimal?
    3. Near the end of the workout i do drop sets to fully exhaust the muscles will this help build muscle size and strength?
    4. How many machines/ exercises should you use per workout?
    5. Do you recommend taking whey protein?
    6. If i do take whey protein do i need to worry about eating more eggs and meat still?

Thanks a lot! If you have any other beginners tips it would be brilliant to hear them!

haroldhamersma is on a distinguished road. (+10) haroldhamersma is on a distinguished road. (+10) haroldhamersma is on a distinguished road. (+10) haroldhamersma is on a distinguished road. (+10) haroldhamersma is on a distinguished road. (+10) haroldhamersma is on a distinguished road. (+10) haroldhamersma is on a distinguished road. (+10) haroldhamersma is on a distinguished road. (+10) haroldhamersma is on a distinguished road. (+10) haroldhamersma is on a distinguished road. (+10) haroldhamersma is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jameschowler View Post
    For the last 2 weeks i have been going to the gym with a friend and neither of us have done weights before. I have a few questions it would be great if you could help me out The main things I'm trying to do is build muscle size and strength. I am going to go to the gym 4 times a week as its close by, but i will leave plenty of recovery time per muscle group.

1. Should you concentrate on one muscle group per session? e.g. back and biceps, chest and triceps, shoulders...
    2. Is 3 sets of 10 reps optimal?
    3. Near the end of the workout i do drop sets to fully exhaust the muscles will this help build muscle size and strength?
    4. How many machines/ exercises should you use per workout?
    5. Do you recommend taking whey protein?
    6. If i do take whey protein do i need to worry about eating more eggs and meat still?

Thanks a lot! If you have any other beginners tips it would be brilliant to hear them!
    First of all, since you guys are beginners I'd recommend not creating your own program or anything, it would also be too much to explain for us for you to be able to create a good program for yourself.
    So: Find a beginner-program, take a look at Fierce 5 for example.
    As to whey protein, it is a SUPPLEMENT. So for example, you're bulking and you want to have 130 grams of protein a day and a specific amount of calories, but you can not reach the amount of protein with just food. You can add to it with a shake.
    DePenIsVanJeZus
    Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167022661&p=1352859421#post1352859421