snatohessnaths has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) snatohessnaths has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) snatohessnaths has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

EFAs recommended intake?

Anybody know what the recommended amounts of EPA, DHA, GLA, ALA, AA and LA are?

I mean the total amounts, not how much to supplement.... that way I can figure out how much to supplement, given what I already eat.

I've looked on the internet, but there are so many conflicting answers from different sites.
    For example,
    http://www.krispin.com/omega3.html
    says "The maintenance dose of fish oil is likely to be 3,000 mg of combined DHA-EPA for each 20 pounds of body weight. 3 grams of combined DHA-EPA is found in 10 of the Costco Fish Oil or 6 of the Trader Joe Omega-3."

That seems like a bit much, though.
    Anybody? Anybody know any sites with such info that is reliable?

There are a huge number of pages with sketchy info and plenty about eating o-3s for improving diseases, but I just want to know how much I should be eating, in grams, given that I have no diseases!(pre-emptive answer- yes, I know it will depend on my stats, but surely there is a way to get a good estimate given them. But how?)

Is there any mercury in fish oil supplements?
    wikipedia says there is, but lots of sites say no. Maybe I should edit the article?
    Last edited by snatohessnaths; 03-19-2006 at 03:50 PM.