Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: P90X reviews??

whitemagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

P90X reviews??

I have to admit that I don't really believe all of the infomercials I see on TV selling life/body changing DVD workouts but someone mentioned that P90X is the real deal and can be extremely effective. Has anyone purchased or tried this? What did you think?

You can look it up on amazon or p90x dot com

Let me know what you think!

Thanks

newyork123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Whitemagic,

I did P90x - I just finished the 90 days. I have to tell you, it really does work. I followed the exercise routine to a T, cut down a little bit on the cardio and was a little less strict on the Nutrition side. My results were still unbelievable. My biggest gain areas had to have been my triceps, my shoulders and my abs. The ab ripper x workout is amazing and really improves your core if you can stick with it.

A big plus about the training program is you get to see other people working hard and follow along with the tempo. It gives you that extra boost you need to make that last rep really count. I've recently switched back to a regular routine and I have to say I already miss having an instructor keep me moving and keep my pace going. I highly recommend it.

fattytca is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattytca is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattytca is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattytca is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattytca is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattytca is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattytca is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattytca is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattytca is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattytca is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattytca is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    My wife did the program minus most of the diet which is probably the biggest key. So her results were so-so.

However compared to other infomercial garbage, at least this on tells you straight up that it's going to be difficult and it's not overnight.

The training principles are solid. I can tell you I did a few days of it with her and I felt it.
    Fighting against all odds to get the six pack back.

cowbucs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cowbucs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cowbucs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cowbucs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cowbucs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cowbucs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cowbucs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cowbucs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cowbucs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cowbucs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cowbucs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up It works....

As with everything in life, nothing is free. You will have to pay with sweat and lots of hours working out. I am on my second round of the program. The first time around I didn't follow the diet completely, but I am eating very clean on the second round. I have had nice results from the program. Check out my results video on youtube. Compared to most of the guys on these forums, I am a wee-man, but I am happy with what I have achieved. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0LoarAHWVE

Originally Posted by cowbucs View Post
    As with everything in life, nothing is free. You will have to pay with sweat and lots of hours working out. I am on my second round of the program. The first time around I didn't follow the diet completely, but I am eating very clean on the second round. I have had nice results from the program. Check out my results video on youtube. Compared to most of the guys on these forums, I am a wee-man, but I am happy with what I have achieved. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0LoarAHWVE
    How many hours a day is this program and how many days a week?

Also, can u recommend a chinup bar that does not require it to be screwed into the door frame? thanks

Originally Posted by whitemagic View Post
    Sorry, i keep coming up with more questions. Did you supplement the p90x workouts with any additional weight lifting/exercising?

cowbucs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cowbucs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cowbucs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cowbucs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cowbucs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cowbucs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cowbucs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cowbucs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cowbucs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cowbucs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cowbucs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

The program is about one hour per day, six days per week. On non-cardio days you will do an additional fifteen minutes of abs (Ab Ripper X).

Also, can u recommend a chinup bar that does not require it to be screwed into the door frame?

I have a Gold's Gym Power Tower which is a combo pull up, dip, and push up station. You can find one at WalMart for about $100. If you look at my videos on YouTube you can see what I am talking about. Another alternative is resistance bands. They are a lot cheaper, but in my opinion not a good alternative to a good old fashioned pull up.

Did you supplement the p90x workouts with any additional weight lifting/exercising?

No. Trust me the program is enough. There are three versions of the program that you can do (classic, lean, and doubles). If you feel you are up for it and you have the time, go for doubles. This means that you will do two exercise routines per day. There are also the P90X Plus DVD's which are four additional programs. They run about 45 minutes, but are some ass kickers.

I'll be happy to answer any other questions you have. Just let me know.

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like a great program, i'm still just a little skeptical. For example, (I know I'm being hard headed) I don't see how you can gain a lot of muscle in your chest without going to the gym and lifting weights.

Were you able to lift/bench more after the program than before? Can you give me some examples of chest exercises?

Also, my adjustable dumbbells can go up to 50lbs, would I need them to be any heavier for the program? Besides the pull up bar and dumbells, is there any other equipment I would need?

Thanks again!

legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by whitemagic View Post
    Thanks for the reply. It sounds like a great program, i'm still just a little skeptical. For example, (I know I'm being hard headed) I don't see how you can gain a lot of muscle in your chest without going to the gym and lifting weights.

Were you able to lift/bench more after the program than before? Can you give me some examples of chest exercises?

Also, my adjustable dumbbells can go up to 50lbs, would I need them to be any heavier for the program? Besides the pull up bar and dumbells, is there any other equipment I would need?

Thanks again!
    Most people that start at a gym can not even do 20 push-ups CORRECTLY and with strict form. Please believe that you can add size and definition with bodyweight exercises and proper diet.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3341191
    http://www.sfwchan.com
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3732791

I would not be purchasing p90x for weight loss purposes (i'm fairly skinny), I would purchase it to add mass and bulk. Will this program do that?

indocanuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) indocanuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) indocanuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) indocanuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) indocanuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) indocanuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) indocanuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) indocanuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) indocanuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) indocanuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) indocanuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

P90X not for bulking

I've got P90X and did an abbreviated version before to help with weight loss. If you stick with it (and particularly with good nutrition) you will see amazing weight loss/muscle definition.

HOWEVER, that said I don't think it's a very good program for bulking, too much high reps/high intensity cardio. If you tried bulking with P90X you'd have to eat a ton of food to put on quality muscle.

I'm doing the Bill Starr/Madcow 5X5 right now to add size/bulk. In the past 6 weeks I've put on about 10 lbs. Admitedly some of that is fat/water but the idea is to bulk up for 12-16 weeks, and then switch back over to P90X to lean out and then back over to CrossFit for ongoing strength development/maintenance.

btw: check for P90X torrents

Originally Posted by indocanuck View Post
    I've got P90X and did an abbreviated version before to help with weight loss. If you stick with it (and particularly with good nutrition) you will see amazing weight loss/muscle definition.

HOWEVER, that said I don't think it's a very good program for bulking, too much high reps/high intensity cardio. If you tried bulking with P90X you'd have to eat a ton of food to put on quality muscle.

I'm doing the Bill Starr/Madcow 5X5 right now to add size/bulk. In the past 6 weeks I've put on about 10 lbs. Admitedly some of that is fat/water but the idea is to bulk up for 12-16 weeks, and then switch back over to P90X to lean out and then back over to CrossFit for ongoing strength development/maintenance.

btw: check for P90X torrents
    Thanks for the reply. What is the best site to visit to read up on Bill Starr/ Madcow 5x5 routine?

Thanks!

indocanuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) indocanuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) indocanuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) indocanuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) indocanuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) indocanuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) indocanuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) indocanuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) indocanuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) indocanuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) indocanuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Madcow site

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow...Linear_5x5.htm

Make sure you read through the Training Primer to get an understanding of the training philosophy.

noxnoctis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well, I would place this program as the number 1 program to do if your not into fitness, as in never took it seriously your whole life. Right now I am in better shape then I was in football during high school. When I started I was around 200lbs and no muscle def at all. Complete MMO playing fat ass. After 90 days I was 168 pounds and I can see fantastic results including some ab definition. The belly I had when I started is gone. The love handles are gone. I didnt follow the diet exactly, due to running through the holiday season.

If you can commit to this you will be in the best shape of your life when your done. You also might know a bit more about what you can put in your pie hole that wont destroy your results.

Basically this program has changed my life. My mental attitude has changed to such a degree that I dont even consider a life unfit anymore. This imo is the most important factor of all. If your fairly new to fitness or lack direction , with no access to an actual good personal trainer, this is the way to go hands down.
    Hell, since I started this I have had at least a dozen people start just from seeing my results. Freakin amazing. Wish I would have found this program 10 years ago.
    Ryan-

legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Someone please anwser some of the questiosn above.

What equipment is needed with P90x?

Originally Posted by legendz411 View Post

You will need dumbbells or resistance bands and a chin up bar. You said you have dumbbells up to 50 lbs. That should be enough to start off with. You will also need a yoga mat and maybe yoga blocks depending on your flexability.

Dude, you are not going to get massive by doing this program. You will, however, get toned and build endurance and strength. Noxnoctis was right on the money. P90X is a life changing experience. It has completely changed the way I live my life. I workout everyday. I eat right. I am more confident in myself. Everyone that knows me can see a change.

Again, I have put videos on YouTube to show people some of the various exercises done in the program. Check them out and let me know if you have questions.

You will need dumbbells or resistance bands and a chin up bar. You said you have dumbbells up to 50 lbs. That should be enough to start off with. You will also need a yoga mat and maybe yoga blocks depending on your level of flexibility.

Dude, you are not going to get massive by doing this program. You will, however, get toned and build endurance and strength. Noxnoctis was right on the money. P90X is a life changing experience. It has completely changed the way I live my life. I workout everyday. I eat right. I am more confident in myself. Everyone that knows me can see a change.

Again, I have put videos on YouTube to show people some of the various exercises done in the program. Check them out and let me know if you have questions.

Hey Legendz411,
    I was half asleep when I wrote my previous post. I got you confused with whitemagic. I hope I answered your question.

Originally Posted by cowbucs View Post
    Hey Legendz411,
    I was half asleep when I wrote my previous post. I got you confused with whitemagic. I hope I answered your question.
    Lol yea man, you did. Wouldn't you need a pull-up/chin-up bar?

Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    what does the dvd stuff cost tho

Yes, you would still need a pull up bar. You could substitute with resistance bands but you wouldn't get the same results. I think the DVD's cost about $115. You get the DVD's, a diet plan, and a fitness guide. It might seem like a lot of money, but it is cheaper than what you would pay for a gym membership.

Autobots, ROLLOUT! 1/2man1/2amazin's Avatar
    1/2man1/2amazin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 1/2man1/2amazin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 1/2man1/2amazin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 1/2man1/2amazin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 1/2man1/2amazin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 1/2man1/2amazin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 1/2man1/2amazin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 1/2man1/2amazin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 1/2man1/2amazin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 1/2man1/2amazin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 1/2man1/2amazin is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Kane Fan View Post
    what does the dvd stuff cost tho
    not to promote pirating but its available on torrent sites... isohunt.com and mininova.org carry them

i just got it... and the ab ripper program looks intense... i think im going to try the program for my arms and abs... ill write a review

Yea. I might go ahead and acquire the P90X workout DVD's and get a pull-up bar and some Select-Tech dumbbells + Res Bands. Sounds good.

Toddre has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey, New member here.
    My wife and I are thinking about trying the p90x.
    Here's my question, I'm a cyclist and racer trying to get back into shape.
    Is there any suggestions in the program about incorporating a cycling work out into it?
    My thinking is maybe subbing the kenpo and plyometrics for on the bike training.
    Thanks all

rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i did p90x for the 60 days, and before starting p90x i was doing MAX OT,
    i did get pretty cut doing p90x, but i also lost alot of strength, muscle loss was not as significant as strength loss,
    I will suggest this workout program for people who want to cut, and loose body fat, this program is not for bulking, unless you can eat 6 thousand cals per day

IF i were todo p90x again i would add compound excercises like bench press, squats, and deads
    Last edited by rustywalk; 03-19-2008 at 08:30 AM. Reason: i only did it for 2months not 3

rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Toddre View Post
    Hey, New member here.
    My wife and I are thinking about trying the p90x.
    Here's my question, I'm a cyclist and racer trying to get back into shape.
    Is there any suggestions in the program about incorporating a cycling work out into it?
    My thinking is maybe subbing the kenpo and plyometrics for on the bike training.
    Thanks all
    u can do that but i wouldnt be p90x any more, plyometrics is probably the hardest one so i would keep that in there, i would add cycling on day 7 and take out x stretch day.

Originally Posted by rustywalk View Post
    u can do that but i wouldnt be p90x any more, plyometrics is probably the hardest one so i would keep that in there, i would add cycling on day 7 and take out x stretch day.

Well I'm looking at trying to ride three days a week (tues,thurs,sunday).how would that fit in?

wow ur going to burning a lot of calories if you do that, if you have to cycle 3 days per week, i would take 3 videos out, out of kenpo, plyo, x stretch, and yoga, just pick 3 and replace them,

it also depends which program you are going to go with, there are 3 different programs classic, lean, and doubles, and how much time do actually have to work out?

If you have alot of time on your hands to workout i would just cycle in the morning, and p90x at night? that would be hardcore

Originally Posted by rustywalk View Post
    wow ur going to burning a lot of calories if you do that, if you have to cycle 3 days per week, i would take 3 videos out, out of kenpo, plyo, x stretch, and yoga, just pick 3 and replace them,

it also depends which program you are going to go with, there are 3 different programs classic, lean, and doubles, and how much time do actually have to work out?

If you have alot of time on your hands to workout i would just cycle in the morning, and p90x at night? that would be hardcore
    Well what I was doing was weight train 2x week for about an hour or so(full body), ride three days times varying from 1.5 to 3 hours depending on day and work out.
    I'm thinking I might drop the "cardio" out of the P90X plan, strength traing 3x per plan, stretch and yoga when I can, ride 3 x week.