1DieselPower is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1DieselPower is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1DieselPower is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1DieselPower is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1DieselPower is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1DieselPower is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1DieselPower is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1DieselPower is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1DieselPower is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1DieselPower is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1DieselPower is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Pros and cons of different splits

I have been following this workout for a while now:

Chest/tris
    Legs
    Shoulders
    Back/bis

However am considering a push/pull split.

Comparing the two directly, what are the pros and cons you can say are between the two? I can think of a few, but not many. My routine seems very oldschool.

Thanks for the help.
    I fear not physical pain, but the pain of regret -

It's not how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep going -

'You can't climb the ladder of success with your hand in the pocket' - Arnold

'Only start counting when it starts to hurt' - Ali

Training - 100%
    Diet - 100%
    = 200% that's how much you gotta give!

brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The only real difference is shoulders will now be on push day. I personally feel push, pull, legs is a much better plan than splitting days into body parts. Having a direct shoulder day to me is pointless since the actual shoulder muscles are very small. Just look at your delt for example compared to your chest. Do you really think that tiny little muscle needs a whole day to itself? You can easily add a few exercises to the push and pull days to cover working shoulders sufficiently.
    www.teamshmo.com -------- I know you wanna know what it's about

www.teamshmo.com/store --------- CHECK OUT MY FAWKING STORE! CAR BRAHS!!!

1DieselPower is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1DieselPower is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1DieselPower is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1DieselPower is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1DieselPower is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1DieselPower is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1DieselPower is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1DieselPower is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1DieselPower is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1DieselPower is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1DieselPower is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    So the only difference really is that by doing a push/pull routine you can decrease the amount of working days?

Training - 100%
    Diet - 100%

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by 1DieselPower View Post
    So the only difference really is that by doing a push/pull routine you can decrease the amount of working days?
    No you can increase the frequency of working each body part. A lot of people think it's better to hit every muscle at least twice a week.

IMO the design of splits don't matter than much, you should train a muscle if it feels ready to go. It probably won't feel right to train (for example) heavy leg work 2 days in a row. The point is that you use real feedback from your body and don't just follow arbitrary rules about "resting a muscle x days before working it again".

You can train far more than you might think and "overtraining" is an almost meaningless term when applied to non elite level athletes but you do need to undulate your intensity using either a planned routine which specifies which weight to use - or intuitively.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    No you can increase the frequency of working each body part. A lot of people think it's better to hit every muscle at least twice a week.

IMO the design of splits don't matter than much, you should train a muscle if it feels ready to go. It probably won't feel right to train (for example) heavy leg work 2 days in a row. The point is that you use real feedback from your body and don't just follow arbitrary rules about "resting a muscle x days before working it again".

You can train far more than you might think and "overtraining" is an almost meaningless term when applied to non elite level athletes but you do need to undulate your intensity using either a planned routine which specifies which weight to use - or intuitively.

Thanks for the help mate. If however you increase the frequency, won't you be more than likely have to decrease intensity?

I mean, I still do not fully recover for at least 4 or 5 days after a session. I know everyone's different but even so.

Then if you start throwing in shoulders on another day, you really have to start cutting valuable exercises out. So the session isn't 2 + hours long.

Training - 100%
    Diet - 100%

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Thanks for the help mate. If however you increase the frequency, won't you be more than likely have to decrease intensity?

I mean, I still do not fully recover for at least 4 or 5 days after a session. I know everyone's different but even so.

Then if you start throwing in shoulders on another day, you really have to start cutting valuable exercises out. So the session isn't 2 + hours long.
    Not IME. Of course everyone has an individual work capacity that is built over time. I don't believe in training to failure. Stimulate don't annihite. Personally I train 6 days a week, hitting every main compound at least twice (apart from deadlift) but with 45mins - 1hr per session (2 main compounds and 0-3 accessories)

Also, you may be mistaking DOMS for 'recovery' time. DOMS will decrease with a higher intensity program. Actually, individual muscles can't be trained too frequently. Overreaching is more of a systemic effect.

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Chest/tris
    Legs
    Shoulders
    Back/bis
    Pretty good for some. You are only hitting something once a week on this. Not a problem for an advanced guy, especially one who is juicing.

However am considering a push/pull split.
    You can hit everything twice a week on this with a four day program. Much easier to program. Better for most.

My routine seems very oldschool.
    It doesn't look old school to me at all. Fullbody or simple upper/lower or push/pull would be old school.

And a real routine wouldn't just be a list of body parts. It would specify exercises, sets, reps, and progression.

However, efficiency aside, you will gain on ANY rational program if you:

1. Train progressively(add weight to the bar regularly), and:

2. Eat enough to grow muscle.

No program will work if you don't do that.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    This is a good thread to help you choose ---> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=137364463