Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: P90X reviews??

rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Toddre View Post
    Well what I was doing was weight train 2x week for about an hour or so(full body), ride three days times varying from 1.5 to 3 hours depending on day and work out.
    I'm thinking I might drop the "cardio" out of the P90X plan, strength traing 3x per plan, stretch and yoga when I can, ride 3 x week.
    yeah that would be a good idea.

since your a cyclist im guessing your looking just to improve your overall health. if your looking to gain size i would not suggest doing this

Toddre has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You're correct, Not looking to gain, maybe even shed some winter insulation..lol
    Just want to get strong and fit again

Unleash The Animal Inside nycflip220's Avatar
    nycflip220 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nycflip220 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nycflip220 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nycflip220 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nycflip220 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nycflip220 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nycflip220 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nycflip220 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nycflip220 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nycflip220 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nycflip220 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    In to read the rest of this later. I saw the infomercial and I'm pretty interested.
    "Guns... To survive in this game, ya gotta have 'em. To make your mark--to be a legend, you need a badass set of arms."

p90x_rob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

My Experience with P90X

Hi,

I'm gonna chime in and say that P90X does work. I just finished about 3 days ago and am pretty darn satisfied. I wrote a P90X review where I've listed my full opinion and you can see my results.

Basically, it is hard work like everyone says, but your body feels pretty great by the end. It's not just your looks that change, although the definition is nice. You FEEL hardier and more unbreakable when you're active in other things. I went running for the first time since I started, and man... I felt like I could go forever, and faster than I used to.

The informercial is probably the most accurate marketing I've encountered. It's not perfect, of course. The commitment is actually longer than an hour a day, depending on the day and how fast a student you are. But the core message - work hard and it will pay off - is genuine. I'm so jazzed about it, I'm happy to answer any questions from people looking into doing it. Just message me, or you can find my email in my blog, http://www.robgetsripped.com.

xwgpx55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) xwgpx55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) xwgpx55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) xwgpx55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) xwgpx55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) xwgpx55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) xwgpx55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) xwgpx55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) xwgpx55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) xwgpx55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) xwgpx55 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have always been a big lifter, but Im getting a little too big now. I bench 215 a solid 10 times, and do a lot of back and tricep exercises. Im afraid of losing muscle mass on this program, but I really really want the weight loss and toning. Is it possible to go into a body building program after this program and stay fit?

kvdoherty will become famous soon enough. (+50) kvdoherty will become famous soon enough. (+50) kvdoherty will become famous soon enough. (+50) kvdoherty will become famous soon enough. (+50) kvdoherty will become famous soon enough. (+50) kvdoherty will become famous soon enough. (+50) kvdoherty will become famous soon enough. (+50) kvdoherty will become famous soon enough. (+50) kvdoherty will become famous soon enough. (+50) kvdoherty will become famous soon enough. (+50) kvdoherty will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by nycflip220 View Post
    In to read the rest of this later. I saw the infomercial and I'm pretty interested.
    same here
    6 ft /165 lbs

The last three or four reps is what makes the muscle grow. This area of pain divides the champion from someone else who is not a champion. That's what most people lack, having the guts to go on and just say they'll go through the pain no matter what happens."

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

"Everybody pities the weak, jealousy-- you have to earn."

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Originally Posted by xwgpx55 View Post
    I have always been a big lifter, but Im getting a little too big now. I bench 215 a solid 10 times, and do a lot of back and tricep exercises. Im afraid of losing muscle mass on this program, but I really really want the weight loss and toning. Is it possible to go into a body building program after this program and stay fit?
    At the end of the day, there's always going to be a slight trade off between getting lean definition versus bulking up, especially depending on what your overall muscle mass goal is. That's why many of my friends who are more lifters tend to go season by season. They'll do a weight loss and toning season, and then go back to the bulk afterwards. It seems to be a good method, and your new muscle will have more definition.

You should be able to maintain your strength through P90X. The program is designed so you can build some bulk while trimming fat if you want. You just have to focus on the number of reps (8-10), keeping the weight intense. P90X prescribes the 2nd month as the "bulk" phase if you wish to gain some mass after a first month of trimming.
    Last edited by p90x_rob; 11-16-2008 at 08:04 AM.

xwgpx55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) xwgpx55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) xwgpx55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) xwgpx55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) xwgpx55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) xwgpx55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) xwgpx55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) xwgpx55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) xwgpx55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) xwgpx55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) xwgpx55 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    thanks rob. its good to hear from someone that actually went on the program and saw its success.

No problem! Let me know if you decide to get the program and how it works out for you.

I can also get you in touch with more of the P90X community, if you want to chat with other folks who've done P90X and more. They're all fitness fanatics, but good people. =)

I'm actually considering buying it today. I'm in a college dorm, and will be home for the holidays for a month starting December 15th. Should I just get a pull up bar that locks into the door frame? I have DB's, so that isn't a problem. And I'm sure I can pick up resistance bands.

I am in decent shape now. I try to do around 80 pushups a day, usually 40 at a time, and I've been lightly going to the gym benchpressing and light jogging for that past 2 weeks. I've always had some regiment, but I really want to bring my body to a lean cut build. My goal is to have a slimmer waistline and slimmed down legs.

It sounds like you're in good position to start P90X. Just based on the program, I believe the best time is when you're already in decent shape. That way, just doing it once will really push you closest to all those before and after pictures you may have seen on the infomercial or on their website.

I was able to do about 40 pushups per set when I started too. You'll have to let me know how you feel about it, but the first day, which is mostly pushups and pullups, still kicked my butt. You do max reps throughout, alternating between different variations. My favorite is the military personally, but you'll eventually do fun stuff like one-arm and plyo-pushup - those are in the second month.

Do you do much legs? That was probably hardest for me my first week. I would do resistance at the gym, but outside of running a lot, I would pretty much cheap out on my leg workouts. Even though there's only one specific legs workout with weights per week, you still use them a lot in plyometrics, abs, yoga, and kenpo. I'll be honest, I couldn't really walk around much that whole first week! =) If you have time before you get your package, I would recommend doing a couple leg workouts yourself... like squats and lunges and then rest them up a few days before you start.

Oh, sorry, I didn't even answer your doorframe pullup bar question!

I have more space, so I used a Power Tower, but yes, I would recommend a pullup bar. I like combining with the resistance bands to get as much out of the back workouts as possible. I could do 10 pullups fully rested when I started. So you may feel good when you do your very first set... but about 4 sets in, depending on the pull-up variation, I could maybe do a couple. Then, I'd do an extra set of 10-15 with resistance bands. You could also pull up a chair and finish out your sets to your satisfaction.

Cool man, thanks again for all of your help.

Between you and a few other people's great reviews of the program, I ordered the program last week, and I recieved it yesterday. All I'm waiting for now is the pull-up bar, bands, and suppliments. I'm excited to get started.

One thing though, looking through the nutrition program, I realized that the diet is demanding, and being a dorming college student, there is no WAY I can get the ingredients and cook all of those meals. I could probably buy the snacks, but definitely can't cook filet mignon meals, and steamed veggies. All I got is a microwave, and enough money in my pocket to get me home on the weekends.

What should I do in that case? Are there ways around the recepies and just working with whats availible?

erikhutson is not very helpful. (-500) erikhutson is not very helpful. (-500) erikhutson is not very helpful. (-500) erikhutson is not very helpful. (-500) erikhutson is not very helpful. (-500) erikhutson is not very helpful. (-500) erikhutson is not very helpful. (-500) erikhutson is not very helpful. (-500) erikhutson is not very helpful. (-500) erikhutson is not very helpful. (-500) erikhutson is not very helpful. (-500)

Between you and a few other people's great reviews of the program, I ordered the program last week, and I recieved it yesterday. All I'm waiting for now is the pull-up bar, bands, and suppliments. I'm excited to get started.

One thing though, looking through the nutrition program, I realized that the diet is demanding, and being a dorming college student, there is no WAY I can get the ingredients and cook all of those meals. I could probably buy the snacks, but definitely can't cook filet mignon meals, and steamed veggies. All I got is a microwave, and enough money in my pocket to get me home on the weekends.

What should I do in that case? Are there ways around the recepies and just working with whats availible?

Any solid diet would work with this program, its just a good convience factor that they provided the layout for what they tested and what worked for them

What should I do in that case? Are there ways around the recipes and just working with whats availible?

Eating well is important in any exercise program if you want to maximize your results. Stick with the portion approach instead of the meal plan in the P90X nutrition guide. As a baseline, if you HAVE to rank I would say the most important element is your balance between the food groups. First month is basically high protein and low carb to kickstart your metabolism, for example, so make sure you eat proportionally what the plan indicates. The second important priority is the quality of the food - like eating whole wheats and whole grains, low fat/oil, low sugar - things that you see on the portion list. And lastly, consider your supplements. If you can manage taking some sort of daily multivitamin, a protein recovery drink, and having protein bars handy for snacking, you're all good there. You may be able to reduce costs by buying supplements elsewhere - I used a different mail order company.

I'm assuming you're eating at a dining hall. It'll be more boring than most people's diets, but it can be done. The one thing you realize when you eat out is how little control you have over what ingredients people use. If you can handle it, you can utilize more raw foods - salads and fruits and nuts. If you NEED dressing, use vinaigrette. I've gotten used to eating dressingless salads by adding dried or fresh fruits and nuts to make them tasty. If it's unavailable in your dining hall, you can keep some basic things in your dorm, like whole wheat bread - cereal after the first month. You can also store up some healthy snacks like protein bars, string cheese, carrot sticks w/cottage cheese, yogurt. Do you have access to boiled eggs? That's a real easy source of protein - as one of my protein portions I'll usually eat 6 egg whites a day with a little seasoning.

Last thing is just try your best at the meal plan. Of any workout program, I think P90X will still get your results as long as your diet is reasonable. So if you have to cut corners here and there, you won't be punished too terribly, but you should aim for as healthy a diet as possible. There's a popular book called The Abs Diet, that I read, and it has some practical advice on how to maintain a healthy diet. I tend to believe nutrition is not an exact science, so you can play around with it as long as you make informed choices.

RePz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RePz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RePz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RePz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RePz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RePz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RePz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RePz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RePz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RePz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RePz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My cousin did it and he lost weight and toned up nicely.

VonWulfe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Recently, in the hospital, I saw the infomercials and it really got me pumped to try it. Since I was told by the doctors, I have to change my diet, I figured what the hell.

My lipids and cholesterol are high, but I do workout (Burgers, Steak, Fries aren't my friend)... Reading through the forum has really got me excited about starting Saturday.

I normally work 45-55 lb dumbells for curls and 65-80 lb for chest... what's a good weight to start with for the program?

SMILESFOR2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Such a stupid question but...

What if you cant do even 1 pull-up? Do I just hang there and try?? Man I feel dumb....haha
    "Shoot for the moon because even if you miss you will land among the stars"
    -Author unknown-

ddeacon22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddeacon22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddeacon22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddeacon22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddeacon22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddeacon22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddeacon22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddeacon22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddeacon22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddeacon22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddeacon22 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You can download the P90X Fit test at http://www.beachbody.com/text/produc...90xFitTest.pdf and it will give you an idea if you are ready...it'll also show the progress you made after the program. Not being able to do any pullups is OK, put 1 foot on a chair and help a bit, eventually you won't need the chair.

On what level of dumbells to use, start out a little lower than you might expect for the first week. The video goes right from one exercise to the next will minimal rest, you will get burned out quicker than you might expect. If you start too low, you can always up the weight the next week. I can generally curl about 45-50s in a regular workout but usually am in the 30-40 range when doing P90X.

D

L1GHTWEIGHTBABY is on a distinguished road. (+10) L1GHTWEIGHTBABY is on a distinguished road. (+10) L1GHTWEIGHTBABY is on a distinguished road. (+10) L1GHTWEIGHTBABY is on a distinguished road. (+10) L1GHTWEIGHTBABY is on a distinguished road. (+10) L1GHTWEIGHTBABY is on a distinguished road. (+10) L1GHTWEIGHTBABY is on a distinguished road. (+10) L1GHTWEIGHTBABY is on a distinguished road. (+10) L1GHTWEIGHTBABY is on a distinguished road. (+10) L1GHTWEIGHTBABY is on a distinguished road. (+10) L1GHTWEIGHTBABY is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i've watched some p90x workouts and they seem like something good for losing fat..all the workouts are non stop, with little rest, and require high repetition and endurance...

i've done the ab ripper x routine and it's pretty tough...it got my abs REAL sore.

the diet plan looks very reasonable and if followed to plan, i'm sure you'd see great results..but like any diet or workout plan, it's all about dedication.
    praising the god of form

SMILESFOR2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thanks ddeacon22
    "Shoot for the moon because even if you miss you will land among the stars"
    -Author unknown-

Courage_21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Courage_21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Courage_21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Courage_21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Courage_21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Courage_21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Courage_21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Courage_21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by SMILESFOR2 View Post
    What if you cant do even 1 pull-up? Do I just hang there and try?? Man I feel dumb....haha

You keep at everything else and eventually the strength will come and you'll be able to do them.

I've gotten away from it because of football season, but starting in January I plan on starting back up on the P90X. I've always had issues with pushups and had a rough time with 5 when I started. After a few weeks I was able to do 15 straight and it kept getting better from there.

All you need is hard work and patience.

nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by SMILESFOR2 View Post
    Start with "negatives" - jump up to get your chin over the bar, then hold/slowly lower yourself. In time, that will build your pullup strength.

a-craig2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    From what I gather from reading this thread, this product works. Hopefully you can help me with some other dilemmas I'm having prior to buying this.

I'm 6'00" and ~200 lbs (out of shape, not lean.) I'd like to lose the wight and body fat and start toning. This program seems ideal, but the hurdle ahead of me is my work schedule. I work Wed-Fri and every other Sat, 7PM-7AM. 12-hour night shifts on 3-4 nights a week. This sets me a problem of finding a regular time every day to work out, but more importantly a problematic eating schedule since my scheduled "lunch" break is at 1AM. Will this cause issues on the program?

I noticed the phrase "MMO playing fat ass" was used in the thread, which is a fairly accurate description of me. I really want to lose the weight and get in shape instead of a crash diet like last time that worked but put the weight back on in 6 months. I want to make this work, but I needed some advice from the professionals before I purchased the product(s). (Waiting on tax return to come in.)

Aside from the DVDs, I read I need a pull-up bar, hand weights, and resistance bands. What weight should I start with on the hand weights? I'll need purchase some of those as well. I saw some talk about supplements. Are these listed in the P90X manual, or is there a recommendation I should look into using. Any advice I can get would be a great help since I'm not even to square 1 yet.

Thanks in advance.

You certainly have a challenge with your schedule!

At the end of the day, it's not so important to have a "regular time" to workout, so long as you do the workouts everyday (in this case 6 days a week). So fit them in wherever you can, keep the intensity up, and you'll get your results.

In terms of eating, creative healthy snacking is you best methodology. For the hours that you're actually awake - whenever that is, you want to eat a small meal about every 2-3 hours. Since you'll probably be out of the house much of the time, the portion approach to the meal plan is likely the best fit (it's explained in the nutrition plan). Plan ahead to make sure you have the right foods on hand.

Everything supplement-wise is listed in the manual. They obviously are marketing their own products, and they're decent quality. I actually took my own favorite supplements and it worked out fine as well.

It's hard to say - weight-wise, what you need to start out with without knowing more about you. Resistance bands, while less popular, have the advantage of giving you complete variance in terms of weight, and they're really cheap. Considering your stats, it won't be a bad way to start out at all.

While p90x is an amazing program, I would say don't get hung up on being exactly like the folks advertised on TV. Yes, you can get there, but you have to look at your fitness journey as more than just 90 days. It's a lifestyle thing.

So, get yourself motivated.
    Do whatever you can, fitting things into your schedule as best as possible.
    Eat healthy and nutritious meals.
    And you'll see the progress you're looking for.

jordan1997 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Push ups

I haven't been doing P90X to long. I'm having trouble doing the push ups. Can I do them on the wall untill I get stronger?

Originally Posted by fattytca View Post
    My wife did the program minus most of the diet which is probably the biggest key. So her results were so-so.

However compared to other infomercial garbage, at least this on tells you straight up that it's going to be difficult and it's not overnight.

The training principles are solid. I can tell you I did a few days of it with her and I felt it.

pootle24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This will be a dumb question and I'm expecting a lot of jokes:

Instead of buying a pull up bar, dumbells and resistance bands - could I use my Bowflex Extreme 2 ?

Ok, give me the jokes " sell the bowflex and buy the others etc...."

Seriously, after watching the user videos on Youtube I'm convinced that it will keep me interested long enough to see results.

T-Hawke is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Hawke is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Hawke is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Hawke is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Hawke is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Hawke is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Hawke is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Hawke is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Hawke is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Hawke is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Hawke is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I personally think you should be able to do pushups and chinups before going in. There is a "fit" test that is the bare minimum of requirements and if you can't do that, you should seek other options. The X stands for extreme. It's a tough workout.

Going in I could bang out 40 pushups and 8 chinups before the big struggles started and my form went into the crapper - and passed the rest of the minimum stuff with little trouble. But in order to "Bring It", you should have some body weight strength, flexibility and solid cardio endurance under your feet.

It was mentioned earlier - the workouts can take longer than an hour and if you can't meet the required fitness level, you'll be there all day hitting that pause button. You may wind up even hurting yourself. I know it still takes me a little longer on some of the workouts than what is the established time that they do.

It is a great workout if you want to get lean, strong, and in great shape. They are focused workouts that go at a good clip. You will sweat and breath hard on every program and that includes the Yoga. But you ahve to be honest with yourself going in. If you can't do 20-25 pushups, do 5 pullups/chinups, then you should at least work to get to that because you'll be doing a hell of a lot more than 20 push ups and 5 chinups over the course of a dvd.

Can you go in not meeting the requirements - sure but I think it will benefit you to spend a month working up to being able to do the pushups and chinups as well as some of the other things required to make the most out of the program. Other will disagree with me but maybe because I'm twice as old as most of the inquiries here and tend to be more cautious with my approaches with age.

Wiggsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet... if you can't pass that fitness test some have mentioned, it is recommended to start out with Power 90. Then move up to P90X and then onto P90X Plus.

a-craig2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Wiggsy View Post
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet... if you can't pass that fitness test some have mentioned, it is recommended to start out with Power 90. Then move up to P90X and then onto P90X Plus.
    Yeah,
    I'm thinking this may be the route I need to take. I'll order the Power 90 and order the P90X after the first 60 days. It should give me time to slim up a bit and get into starting shape for P90X (as well as quit smoking.)