Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Khemist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Khemist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Khemist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Khemist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Khemist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Khemist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Khemist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Khemist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Khemist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Khemist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Khemist is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by HealthyLivin4Me
    I have all the charachteristics of a true Ecto, skinny, unable to put on weight of any kind, very little body hair, little facial hair and nervousness. Not too mention I am short so I am basically built like a Jr High School kid....lol

With that being said I had bloodwork done last year and the doctor said my test levels were very high for my age which was 26 at the time.

My point is the testostorone theory I think is very debatable....
    That's interesting. I am curious as to why we have these characteristics and young overall appearance. Sure it's genetics, but how exactly does it make sense to have so many different body types in humans from an evolutionary perspective.

keeper of the holy oat Rogier77's Avatar
    Rogier77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rogier77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rogier77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rogier77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rogier77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rogier77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rogier77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rogier77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rogier77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rogier77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rogier77 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by HealthyLivin4Me
    I have all the charachteristics of a true Ecto, skinny, unable to put on weight of any kind, very little body hair, little facial hair and nervousness.

My point is the testosterone theory I think is very debatable....

It's also very debatable whether you can link ****-types to character traits like being nervous. People being able to identify themselves with **** like that is just like when you read your horoscope. It's possible to find proof for every theory that exists and that's exactly what your mind does when it reads stuff like that. You start coming up with all the times you were nervous and you're like "see! I'm a nervous person'. Everyone gets nervous sometimes. It's better to judge whether a theory holds, by seeing whether you can disprove it or not, rather then trying to prove it (Karl Popper).

I'm an ecto and I get nervous, but not more then other people. Actually I think I get nervous a whole lot less then most other people. Nor am I shy, which is supposed to be typical for ectomorphs as well. **** like that is not something you're born with.. it's all in your beliefs, which were generate by your upbringing, surroundings and experiences.

Sorry for going so far off topic, just needed to be said.
    [url]http://members.lycos.nl/kakarot_195/Progress5.JPG[/url]
    [url]http://members.lycos.nl/kakarot_195/June2005.JPG[/url]
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=395321&d=1169853042

6'4 177lbs
    Ectomorph
    I still think we should nuke everest into the Mariana Trench... it's all about creating balance!

Rockin40s has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've often wondered the same thing. There are people who just think they are "hard gainers" and then there really are hard gainers. I'm truly a hard gainer. Ectomorph all the way. Doctor wanted to put me on hormones as a kid because I was so darn skinny, all starting with low birth weight (but never did). I worked really hard on and off for many years to gain weight and a bit of muscle. Could eat a ton when active, but when inactive I would not be very hungry. High metabolism (according to doctors, not just my opinion). I was very active and took a liking to rock climbing and bike riding. Got "skinny ripped" as a teen. I'm now 43.

I worked out for a year with a Mesomorph. We worked out three days a week and were both in only fair physical condition when we started. He made massive muscle gains and I didn't, even though I matched him in strength gain/performance. Our diets were similar (my metabolism is slightly higher). I tried to increase my food intake, but to do so I had to eat until I was uncomfortably full. I did gain a bit of weight and muscle, but nothing like my buddy. We also did body measurements beforehand, including joints (wrist, knee). My height, 6'3". His, 6'5". My weight (start): 170. His weight (start):220. My weight (end after one year):185. His:245.

His wrist and knee joints (and overall bone structure) is much bigger than mine. My dimensions: Neck:14", calves:14", arms (flexed):14", chest:40", thighs:20" (yes, bird legs... all my height is in my legs - 48" from floor to top of hip). Wrist: 6 1/4", knee: 13". I've always had a bit bigger chest (for my ectobody) because I used to climb a lot.

I worked very hard for over and hour three x a week. My buddy who's a Meso put on inches and he even admits he didn't work as hard as I did. I maybe gained an inch all around. At the end I could do all of these things with good form, consecutive, in under a minute: 25 pull ups. 50 push ups, 30 burpees.

I got to where I could bench my weight 3 sets of 12 reps, and curl more than half my body weight (using two arms, of course) a decent amount of times. But I still just look pretty much like a tall, skinny dude compared to my buddy, who began to look like a beast. Granted, he started out a bit more beastly, but honestly it didn't seem fair at all to me .

I've never had my testosterone levels checked, but my hunch is they were never very high. Entered puberty late (was 5'7" at 16, grew to 6'3" by 19 (btw, my dad is 6'7", so I'm short for my family, with all my brothers taller and bigger than I am). I was more brainy than jockish, although I could do pull ups like no other (max 32 consecutive when I was rock climbing as a young teen - but only weighed 90 pounds). I wasn't nervous (very chill). I have never had much body hair on my trunk (but normal to above average on arms and legs). Because I was so active I was always strong for my size (and underestimated by bigger guys who decided to pick on me). But because I was so light I couldn't play tackle sports with the big boys without getting creamed. I was a good high/long jumper (light, fast), and a decent swimmer, too.

Even over 40 now I have a full head of very thick hair. This makes me wonder if it is genetic or hormone related. I've never had a deep voice (just very average range). I had better verbal skills and intuition in my childhood than most of my guy friends, but I wasn't very competitive and "rough and tumble" which made me wonder if I had higher estrogen levels or something (more like a female in this regard). My long, skinny legs make women jealous and make me a lover of long cargo shorts to hide them!

Apologies for talking a lot about myself. But I saw this post and started thinking maybe the OP was on to something. I can gain some strength and endurance, but my bone structure is super light and as hard as I try it is difficult to gain muscle mass. I have been very tempted over the years to roid up, but never did. I've drank muscle gain shakes, taken supplements (not crazily, but tried a few) and measured caloric intake. When I do more cardio the fat drops off like water, but I then have more trouble bulking. My overall health is good. It isn't like I'm complaining -- but more like I think I'm understanding why working hard didn't pay off with great gains, even if I worked out until barfing 3 days a week and ate like a horse.

Originally Posted by Khemist View Post
    I have always questioned why ectomorphic bodybuilders have such a hard time putting on quality mass. I was not able to find any studies directly linking low testosterone to an ectomorphic structure. I realize each ectomorph's genetics are different, but why do they all share common traits (according to the literature) such as:

- Nervousness
    - Low strength and mass gains
    - Less facial and body hair in many (young appearance)

Is it just that their metabolic pathyways are different? Is it because they are neurologically designed in the zygote? Is it as simple as a small bone structure's inability to carry much mass? Curiosity has gotten the best of me, I am hoping one of you can answer this for me.