Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Fats: Bad, Okay, Good, Better, Best?

I'm wondering not only about what fats to avoid universally, but what fats are okay in moderation and/or if there are any fats that are truly preferable to all others? The more specific you can be (including specific foods that contain each variety of fats), the better.

Fundamentally, I'm curious as to whether the fat in, say, a full-fat cottage cheese is preferable to a fat in a natural almond butter? Are they both trumped by the fats in olive oil?
    ***Will rep for help developing my clean bulking diet+workout: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=125002231

“Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.” - Mark Twain

Current (Food) Addictions:
    -Sweet Potato
    -Corn
    -Salmon
    -Toasted Almonds
    -Turmeric

On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Avoid: Trans Fat

Eat: Other Fat.
    Don't tell me what you want to do, do it.
    Barbarian Requirements Pre-2011 complete: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJSVOLItqMA
    Working on my "core", because I'm not a fat fuk.

Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by On Fire View Post

Just that simple?
    ***Will rep for help developing my clean bulking diet+workout: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=125002231

“Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.” - Mark Twain

-Sweet Potato
    -Corn
    -Salmon
    -Toasted Almonds
    -Turmeric

TyrusJB is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyrusJB is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyrusJB is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyrusJB is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyrusJB is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyrusJB is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyrusJB is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyrusJB is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyrusJB is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyrusJB is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyrusJB is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Myewze View Post
    Just that simple?
    get good omega 3 fatty acids.. fish oils would be good source.

stear clear of soybean, cottonseed, corn, and all others with too high an amount of polyunsaturated fats.

heat turns them rancid too easily.

olive oil, and saturated fats serve our bodies well.

determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz
    avoid: trans
    mono:45-55% total fat
    poly:25-35% total fat
    saturated 25% or less total fat
    Founder of MMDELAD
    "Micros Matter Dont Eat Like A Dumba**" (hydrogenated oils, shortening, mono and di-glycerides don't fit in my macros)

Does Not Count Macros Crew

"Think in terms of limits and the result is limitation
    Think in terms of progress and the result is progression"

my day:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156294333

Training Philosophy to be strong: 1. Pick Weights up off the ground 2. Squat them 3. Push them over your head

Originally Posted by determined4000 View Post
    Can a brother get some example foods?

-Sweet Potato
    -Corn
    -Salmon
    -Toasted Almonds
    -Turmeric

djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    “You never won’t know what you can’t achieve until you don’t achieve it.”

determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz
    Can a brother get some example foods?
    sure
    monos-nuts, PB, olive oil
    polys:fish, canola, flax
    saturated: fatty meat, whole fat dairy
    TRANS: partially hydrogenated oils (used by fast food, baked goods, check labels on any processed stuff)
    Founder of MMDELAD
    "Micros Matter Dont Eat Like A Dumba**" (hydrogenated oils, shortening, mono and di-glycerides don't fit in my macros)

Training Philosophy to be strong: 1. Pick Weights up off the ground 2. Squat them 3. Push them over your head

sure
    monos-nuts, PB, olive oil
    polys:fish, canola, flax
    saturated: fatty meat, whole fat dairy
    TRANS: partially hydrogenated oils (used by fast food, baked goods, check labels on any processed stuff)
    Very cool, thanks.

I guess to further my question, do these fats have different functions? Different effects on the body? Different efficacies (for example: in terms of promoting testosterone production)?

-Sweet Potato
    -Corn
    -Salmon
    -Toasted Almonds
    -Turmeric

djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Very cool, thanks.

I guess to further my question, do these fats have different functions? Different effects on the body? Different efficacies (for example: in terms of promoting testosterone production)?
    read, the link I gave you. it will require reading and searching through articles on your own though, just warning you.
    “You never won’t know what you can’t achieve until you don’t achieve it.”

Saturated fat raises LDL (bad cholesterol), while monounsaturated fat and polyunsaturated fat reduce LDL. Although Saturated fat also raises HDL, so does monounsaturated, except monounsaturated is doing so without raising LDL. Polyunsaturated fats need to be included because of many sources EFA content.
    Founder of MMDELAD

Originally Posted by djansen View Post
    read, the link I gave you. it will require reading and searching through articles on your own though, just warning you.
    While I appreciate it, the link you provided looks like a general directory of fat articles, rather than anything with specific information on the question(s) I'm asking. I understand that by scouring through all of those articles will almost certainly yield lots of knowledge about fats and their function, much of which is likely to be conflicting (see "avoid all saturated fats" from here http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/david47.htm vs. "saturated fats ain't so bad" from here http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/fat_...erol_truth.htm), and I'm wondering if perhaps there is a more simple, direct answer available.

Would a saturated fat be as effective as a monounsaturated fat in promoting testosterone production?

-Sweet Potato
    -Corn
    -Salmon
    -Toasted Almonds
    -Turmeric

Fututre117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fututre117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fututre117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fututre117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fututre117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fututre117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fututre117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fututre117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fututre117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fututre117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fututre117 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    what about whipped butter what would that fall under?

davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    While I appreciate it, the link you provided looks like a general directory of fat articles, rather than anything with specific information on the question(s) I'm asking. I understand that by scouring through all of those articles will almost certainly yield lots of knowledge about fats and their function, much of which is likely to be conflicting (see "avoid all saturated fats" from here http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/david47.htm vs. "saturated fats ain't so bad" from here http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/fat_...erol_truth.htm), and I'm wondering if perhaps there is a more simple, direct answer available.

Would a saturated fat be as effective as a monounsaturated fat in promoting testosterone production?
    coconut oil has been shown to raise test levels more than extra virgin olive oil.
    Sponsored Muscle Pharm stack log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=122828761

My personal journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120486931

-- V DUBBBBB --
    my 2.5 sqeaks louder than your 2.5, silly wabbit.

Originally Posted by davidl351 View Post
    coconut oil has been shown to raise test levels more than extra virgin olive oil.
    Neat. Why's that?

-Sweet Potato
    -Corn
    -Salmon
    -Toasted Almonds
    -Turmeric

davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Neat. Why's that?
    here's where i got the info: i'm not even close to qualified to comment on biochemistry, haha.

http://www.ergo-log.com/olivetest.html
    Sponsored Muscle Pharm stack log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=122828761

My personal journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120486931

-- V DUBBBBB --
    my 2.5 sqeaks louder than your 2.5, silly wabbit.

Originally Posted by davidl351 View Post
    here's where i got the info: i'm not even close to qualified to comment on biochemistry, haha.

http://www.ergo-log.com/olivetest.html
    Outstanding. I'm still interested in knowing some of the functional differences between the types of fats (saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated). Can anyone enlighten me, or at least point me to a specific article that would prove helpful?

-Sweet Potato
    -Corn
    -Salmon
    -Toasted Almonds
    -Turmeric

Coconut oil is one of the few healthy saturated fat sources (effect the body/processed differently than animal sourced sat. fats). Cocoa is another.
    Founder of MMDELAD

Coconut oil is one of the few healthy saturated fat sources (effect the body/processed differently than animal sourced sat. fats). Cocoa is another.
    But for the most part unsaturated fats are always preferable to saturated fats?

-Sweet Potato
    -Corn
    -Salmon
    -Toasted Almonds
    -Turmeric

TyrusJB is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyrusJB is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyrusJB is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyrusJB is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyrusJB is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyrusJB is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyrusJB is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyrusJB is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyrusJB is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyrusJB is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyrusJB is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    But for the most part unsaturated fats are always preferable to saturated fats?
    unsaturated fats have spaces in their molecular structure that allow for oxidation. So when these replace and contribute to a good portion of your body, they are prone to oxidation as well.
    For instance, in the skin.. the unsaturated fats lead to uv rays damaging that fat spot.. which can lead to cancer or skin spots.

saturated fat doesn't have a spot for oxidation.. that's why when cooking with them they don't go rancid, that's why sunlight doesn't affect their structure, but with poly or mono, it can cause it to go bad.

mono has one receptor open for damage

poly has two or more.

Omega 3 and 6 are polyunsaturated fats. To get your requirement of polyunsat's, the desire is for them to be consisting of as much omega 3 as possible. As omega 3's inhibit inflammation, promote insulin sensitivity, and there's even a study showing it provides influence in keeping DNA telomeres safe and protected from unravelling.

I'll say this.. although the present consensus of most medically minded people is that saturated fat is the killer... It's the POLYunsaturated fats that lower immune systems, cause the body to be in a cancer prone state.

People have been eating saturated fats for years.. Poor communities around the world consistantly exhibit extended lifespans, and an overall lack of general health problems.. and when those same individuals leave to neighboring 'modern' populations and eat the similar diets that most americans consume, then THEY begin to have heart disease, diabetes... Low HDL cholesterol.. atherosclerosis.

These health problems were rare before 1950s.. before WWII really. People smoked like crazy, but lung cancer was rare as well. In that case, the polyunsaturated fats begin constituting the fats in the lungs.. trans fats are alsoo known to do this as well, and the smoke then is much more apt to cause a cancerous state. Again, being that Saturated fat doesn't have a receptor for damage.

During those times, the animal fats were used in cooking.. Butter was used.. coconut oil was popular. But during WWII the soybean and then later corn industries started funding studies skewing results to show saturated fats were 'artery clogging fats' Playing on a fear at the time.

The studies showing coconut oil causing hardening of the arteries and increasing blockages used partially hydrogenated coconut oil. and that's why now you often see "Saturated fats, such as coconut oil or tropical oils, clog arteries and creates heart disease'

Doctors have known that feeding polyunsaturated fats to donor patients impairs the bodies immune system so that the organ or appendage isn't rejected. But it's known that doing this quite often causes cancer after extended administration.

Farmers years ago during around the 60s or 70s wanted to find different foods to feed cows to fatten them up.. at first coconut oil was used.. and this only caused them to become very active and actually lose weight.

so then they administered a thyroid suppressing drug to the cows fatten them up, and this caused cancer. So in the end, soybeans and corn were fed to the cows which provided the same result as the thyroid drug. Causing hypothyroid.. and still, but less, cancer.
    Last edited by TyrusJB; 04-28-2010 at 12:01 PM.

Oh damn...so polys are really the thing to look out for?
    Fish? Flax seed oil? Overrated?

-Sweet Potato
    -Corn
    -Salmon
    -Toasted Almonds
    -Turmeric

jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000)
    Do polys effect digestion at all?

Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by jgreenhaus View Post
    Do polys effect digestion at all?
    What do you mean?

As far as I know, digestion is the same. All will be broken down into a glycerol and fatty acids. However, I believe beta oxidation will differ depending on saturated/unsaturated.
    Last edited by Holyspokes; 04-28-2010 at 07:50 PM.
    ENCLAVE
    Fitness & Nutrition
    CISSN
    CSCS
    CF-L1

Cyclist, Sprinter, Foodie.

jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000)
    i mean do healthy fats aid digestion in anyway? Like could there be any problems if u dont receive enough?

Oh damn...so polys are really the thing to look out for?
    Fish? Flax seed oil? Overrated?
    NO
    You NEED polys
    most people get too few
    It is about having the right balance of fat
    Founder of MMDELAD

Originally Posted by jgreenhaus View Post
    i mean do healthy fats aid digestion in anyway? Like could there be any problems if u dont receive enough?
    more along the lines of problems with immune system, brain, testosterone, other hormones, cellcular functioning
    Founder of MMDELAD

dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by On Fire View Post

This/10

When u eat sumthing, its a mixture of all the fats, not just one type.

Joseph_Brosef is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Joseph_Brosef is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Joseph_Brosef is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Joseph_Brosef is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Joseph_Brosef is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Joseph_Brosef is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Joseph_Brosef is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Joseph_Brosef is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Joseph_Brosef is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Joseph_Brosef is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Joseph_Brosef is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Ive heard that poly and mono can be converted to saturated fats? Is this true? Does that mean if u get very low saturated fat in ur diet its still gona be fine?

Originally Posted by Joseph_Brosef View Post
    Ive heard that poly and mono can be converted to saturated fats? Is this true? Does that mean if u get very low saturated fat in ur diet its still gona be fine?
    No but if you eat too little overall fat, then your body will produce more cholesterol (bad)
    One of the reasons eggs are good is they are higher in cholesterol but low in Saturated fat
    Sat fat increases LDL (bad) cholesterol, unsaturated does not--> it lowers it
    Founder of MMDELAD

NO
    You NEED polys
    most people get too few
    It is about having the right balance of fat
    anything greasy provides too much omega 6

Eating corn or soybean fed cows affects their omega 3 - omega 6 balance and we receive extra from that

IMO the usual diet has too many 6's, causing inflammation and deterioration

the best thing that has worked for me is keeping overall polyunsaturated fats low, and supplementing with fish oils.. by helping, I mean insulin sensitivity (less fat storage) and my poor poor joints.

if I eat oatmeal, which has 3g of omega 6 (gamma-linoleic, I believe) my joints get real stiff, my knees start hurting, back gets tight and inflamed.. it's not pretty, but my body takes quite a beating.. so for me to function normally.. I really try to not eat anything with omega 6.. even sunflower seeds, which I have an addiction for hahaha.

but on the other hand.. if I eat oatmeal but then take 4-5 grams more of fish oils for the day, the inflammation is lessoned to a manageable degree. but I'd rather not make my overall polyunsaturated uptake higher just to balance it out.

Saturated fat dilutes the amount of polyunsaturated fats in your body. So if I eat oatmeal and get inflamed, and instead of upping fish oil pills to counteract, I could drink 1/4 a gallon of whole milk, or do 3-4 big tablespoons full of coconut oil to dilute the effect. Sounds crazy, I know, but it works that way.
    Last edited by TyrusJB; 04-29-2010 at 04:52 AM.