Registered User comf0rtablynumb's Avatar
    comf0rtablynumb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) comf0rtablynumb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) comf0rtablynumb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Current 4 Day Split - Looking For Something New

Alright so i've been working with a 4 day split for perhaps the last 10 weeks or so and I feel i'm ready to change it up a bit. It goes as follows:

Day 1: Chest/tris
    3x incline db
    3x flat dbs
    3x incline flys
    (this isnt strict, often ill substitute the flat dbs with a bbell or the incline fli's with flat fli's)
    3x cgbp
    3x skull crushers
    3x bench dips (would do normal dips but alas the crappy gym doesnt cater to all my needs)

Some might argue this is too many sets for isolating the triceps but often i'll drop a set or two off if feeling fatigued and I don't go to complete exhaustion but near exhaustion in most sets therefore I don't wear out the muscle as much.

Day 2: Shoulders/bi's
    3x db shoulder press
    3x upright rows
    3x lateral raises
    (again this isnt strict, sometimes i'll do miltary presses in lieu of one of the other exercises)
    3x hammer curls
    3x bbell curls
    occasionly ill throw in a few alternating dumbell curls on a 45degree incline bench

Day 3: Legs/abs
    3x hanging leg raises
    3x weighted incline sit-ups
    3x atg squats
    3x parallel squats
    3x lunges

Day 4: Back (& hammies)
    3x deadlifts
    3x sldl
    3x pull ups
    3x bent over rows (mix it up with db's and bb)
    And often i'll throw in some good mornings or lat pull downs. Again this isn't strict but a guideline to my routine.

So yeah, this isnt always in consecutive days, i might for instance have a day off between chest/tri's and shoulders/bi's for obvious reasons. Basically i've read into pull/push splits, upper/lower body splits and various other body splits but I wasn't really sure where to go next. I'm pretty happy with this split, in fact I don't particularly want to change my familiar routine but I recognise my body is becoming too accustomed to this routine so I need to mix things up. Any ideas? Any criticism on the current routine? Basically just looking for some feedback. I don't feel like i'm overtraining - I mean i've been tired a lot lately but i'm not sure if it's because of a combination of work/footy/uni/quitting my daily weed habit or cns issues.

Cheers

comf0rtablynumb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) comf0rtablynumb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) comf0rtablynumb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    bump

anyone?

NYTEYED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYTEYED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYTEYED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYTEYED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYTEYED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYTEYED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYTEYED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you want to stay w/ this program you could just make some internal changes. Try taking a week off and switch up sets and reps when you resume. The first week, 3 sets of 10-12. Then a couple weeks w/ 4 sets of 8. Finish with a couple weeks working 5 sets of 5 or 6. This is just one example. You could try taking one body part each week and working either extra heavy or extra light. You could also try supersetting and trisetting the lifts in your program. When you are ready to consider a real significant change you will find many here who would be glad to see you ditch the body part split approach. Both full body routines and push/pull spilts are great!

NYTEYED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYTEYED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYTEYED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYTEYED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYTEYED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYTEYED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYTEYED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just reread your post! Congrats on laying off the MJ! If you are feeling more spent in general it could easily be your diet. You may have shiffted your eating while cleaning up. Also be sure you are getting good rest all of the time. Really just taking a week off of lifting and stratigically deloading may do you a world of good. It sounds like you are doing good things w/ your body stay it man!

Thanks for the sound advice! I think i'm going to take a few days off (maybe even a week) then try out Bill Star's 5x5 program. At present, my lifts really don't match my physique which isnt really a bad thing seeing as my penchant is for bodybuilding, not powerlifting. Nonetheless, it'd be good to have some stronger lifts

As for the mary jane, i've abstained for almost a week now after smoking heavily (daily, often several times a day) for the last 6 months and frequent (4-5 days a week) prior to that for 6 months to a year. For anyone who claims marijuana doesnt have physical withdrawal symptoms, they're full of ****. The last week has been hard battling the partial insomnia and fitful, restless sleep alongside the loss of appetite but I already feel clearer and more mentally acute. It basically just got to the stage where I couldnt afford to smoke anymore with the start of the footy season (aussie rules) only 3 weeks away and the workload in my law course becoming more and more overwhelming. Anyway, it's definately a good feeling!