EpicurusFlame has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicurusFlame has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicurusFlame has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicurusFlame has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicurusFlame has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicurusFlame has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicurusFlame has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicurusFlame has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicurusFlame has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicurusFlame has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicurusFlame has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Back pain - Overhead press or power cleans?

I did my Starting Strength workout yesterday, and for the first time i'm feeling pain like I did something wrong. The middle of my back is hurting, right at the spine. It is really evident when I lean over. I'm wondering what it could be resulting from so I can fix it in the future.

I don't think it could be from the squats but I could be wrong...so I narrowed it down to the overhead press or the power cleans. Any idea what could be the reason for this?

skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Unfortunately, if you didn't feel it at the time, it's pretty much impossible to tell. It could have been from anything and maybe not even from anything you were doing wrong. I rarely hurt myself in the gym lifting heavy, but then I turn reach for a pencil or something sitting at a desk and I tweak my back. Now that's a pi$$ off.
    But, just be conscious of your form and make sure you aren't slacking off in keeping your core taught etc.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    PTS Certified

I'm a little tea pot.

EpicurusFlame has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicurusFlame has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicurusFlame has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicurusFlame has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicurusFlame has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicurusFlame has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicurusFlame has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicurusFlame has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicurusFlame has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicurusFlame has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicurusFlame has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by skarotum View Post
    Unfortunately, if you didn't feel it at the time, it's pretty much impossible to tell. It could have been from anything and maybe not even from anything you were doing wrong. I rarely hurt myself in the gym lifting heavy, but then I turn reach for a pencil or something sitting at a desk and I tweak my back. Now that's a pi$$ off.
    But, just be conscious of your form and make sure you aren't slacking off in keeping your core taught etc.
    Thanks. I think it might be because i'm lifting a little too heavy on the press (I put on 25's to make it 95 total; probably should be around 90 but I don't feel like loading all the bitch plates) and my form breaks down from the heavy weight.

Maybe i'll lighten it up next time.

J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    How is your form?

Originally Posted by J.L.C. View Post
    How is your form?
    I feel like its good but I can't be sure. I may be pressing out my chest too much....I make an effort not to lean back though.

skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by EpicurusFlame View Post
    I feel like its good but I can't be sure. I may be pressing out my chest too much....I make an effort not to lean back though.
    As I mentioned above, make sure to keep your core tight to keep your back straighter and protect it.
    PTS Certified

I'm a little tea pot.