Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Torn Bicep

TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by rsw1
    I had a torn bicep a few years ago (torn where the muscle meets the shoulder) , and was able to work through it with physical therapy (no surgery). Oddly enough, my orthopedic doc insisted I continue working out as part of my therapy. He was big on not letting these types of injuries atrophy.<<<<Not recommending it, just my experience.
    I have the same injurie, only was in a car accident (a lot more stuff was broken and torn, I was messed up good). So far everything has healed up well, exept my shoulder and the bicep...

Like this guy said;

[QUOTE]When I went back to regular workouts, (6 months after the injury) the doctor cautioned me not to over do it - LOL - I had barely 50% of my pre-injury arm strength and really had to work my way back up - very frustrating. To this day my one arm is not as strong as the other, and the muscle belly has atrophied - my non-injured bicep comes all the way down almost to the bend in my elbow - the injured one stops short by a good couple of inches - but otherwise it's a good recovery - no pain or anything.[/QOUTE]

Only took longer for me, and it sill hurts! My left side is a lot weaker and smaller now, and it still isn't completely healed

NPC_Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPC_Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPC_Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPC_Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPC_Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPC_Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPC_Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPC_Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPC_Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPC_Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPC_Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Follow-up note.

I do notice phantom pain. Like some pull in the arm even when just sitting at desk. I tried to explain to doctor, best I could describe was end of suture stitch was digging into flesh. But since he used dissolving material … it’s in my mind.

At least my elbow scar is all but gone now.

JaggedBill has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

next phase

Well, I got out of the brace and bandages a couple days ago and went directly into a cast. This was the first time I got to see my arm since before surgery. I was expecting it to look pretty bad, and guess what?...it looked even worse than I prepared myself for. Damn! Besides the expected atrophy and scar, it had really poor shape and tone. A real sobering experience. Now I'm in the cast for 2 weeks and then onto the robocop brace phase. Hard to accept when you're used to being active and strong. I was averaging 20 wide grip pull-ups just a week before.

NPC_Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPC_Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPC_Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPC_Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPC_Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPC_Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPC_Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPC_Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPC_Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPC_Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPC_Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I remember after the robo brace was off I was food shopping and reached for a can of coke and it fell to the ground like 45 plate. I knew then the road was long to get back to any strength .... but muscle remembers.

Recovery info.

I'd like to know more about the robo-brace phase. What are the mechanics of it? Does it "pull" your arm with slow adjustments? Are you still inactive during the beginning phase of wearing it? How long did you wear it?

When an injury of this nature occurs, I understand that maintaining good levels of L-glutamine are good to slow muscle wasting during in-activity. I also looked at a good natural product called Repair (a bit pricey) which says it helps repair joint amd muscles from injury. I'm told it helps remove toxins from the areas during the healing process.

A man who has been in danger,
    when he comes out of it forgets his fears,
    and sometimes forgets his promises.
    - Euripides
    Last edited by JaggedBill; 05-20-2006 at 02:39 PM.

dcraiga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My "robobrace" was used to set a restriction or limit on distance of travel of the arm. It was first set to only allow the arm to extend a certain distance and each week the setting was changed to let it move a bit further. I really think the other point in wearing the brace is to keep us remembering we are injured and disallow normal use of the arm. I do remember very painful events like just picking up a book or something similar when i was wearing it and feeling the pain.

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I tore my right bicep clean off at the elbow 12 years ago. I was all set for the surgery and my Dr. decided not to do it because of potential nerve damage. I have good strength, but looks funny. I'm thinking of getting an implant. I wonder if it's doable? couldn't look any worse!. I've had to curtail serious arm training so things don't look TOO out of wack as far as symmetry.

Any suggestions?

TW

For those of you who had a distal tear of the bicep, and went on to wear a post surgical brace, was your brace an orthodic custom job (taking a mold of your injured arm before constructing the brace- not cheap $) or did you wear a more "generic" adjustable brace, and for how long?

robo brace time

Well, i'm into the (expensive) custom made brace now. Looks like I'll wear this for 6-8 weeks. Good not to have the sling over the neck anymore pulling you out of alignment. Time to start slowly straightening the arm.

As usual throughout this I'm finding we have to be our own doctor first. I just needed them for the surgery and to build me the brace. LOL

edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Good luck in your recovery Bill! Can you rotate your wrist yet? I remember that being very painful for me.

I've been in the robo-brace for a couple weeks now. It allows me to slowly straighten my arm but it "pulls" me back up. I wonder what is too fast a pace to begin stretching and elongating the muscle. It's been almost a month and a half since my re-attachment surgery and it seems like I'm able to extend my arm well and pretty comfortably in the brace, though I know it's too soon to lift anything. It can be hard to know what is too fast a pace without somthing to compare it to. I should be in the brace for another 4 weeks. How does this compare to anyone else's experience and time frame in rehab? Also, I can't yet rotate my hand a full 180 degrees. Nerve damage is definitely healing though as well as increased blood supply to my arm reducing the skin drying.

Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by JaggedBill
    Nerve damage is definitely healing though as well as increased blood supply to my arm reducing the skin drying.
    Bill... I would consider trying some Noni juice if I was you, and I know that sounds weird, but it does really contribute to the healing processes, especially nerves. I have seen folks with neuropathy (I don't know how to spell it) in their legs get feeling back... I even had an older guy (like 76 or so?) say he got most of his feeling back in his legs after radiation therapy which had killed most of the nerves there. (I used to be a distributor for a particular brand.) It also helps improve blood circulation...

Just a thought... it is available at GNC now, in a 90% Tahitian version that tastes pretty good. (Just be sure to get one that is not mostly water.)

Dan
    I am amazed how my body has been able to change... It's design truly is a wonder. King David realized that some three thousand years ago...
    "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:14 NIV

ppirie1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Torn distal

I tore my distal approx. 6 weeks ago. It took them this long to have an mri done and to figure out what it was, i am thinking because the bicep didnt roll all the way up like it usually does with this injury. Anyway, the doc said because I didnt have surgery within three weeks of the injury that he would rather not do it because the chances are greater that it wont be as succesful, we couldnt use my tendon, would have to get one off a cadaver etc. etc. He seems to think that my strength is alright, which I agree, I was curling 75% of my normal rep. weight 2 weeks after it happened, and he would like to forgo surgery and just do therapy. Should I get a second opinion and has anyone exp. this type of injury with no surgery?

Sounds like it might be a partial tear since your bicep didnt move up your arm like mine did. (75% strength seems like a lot) Did the mri show a full tear? Also, for those of you who've recovered from surgery for a distal bicep tear, were you able to resume normal tricep exercises without delay?

edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It took me a full year before I was pain free when lifting, both arms. I'm fine now.

Cany anyone tell me, does working the TRICEP on the injured arm during recovery from this injury/surgery pose a problem for any reason?

Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ppirie1
    I tore my distal approx. 6 weeks ago. It took them this long to have an mri done and to figure out what it was, i am thinking because the bicep didnt roll all the way up like it usually does with this injury. Anyway, the doc said because I didnt have surgery within three weeks of the injury that he would rather not do it because the chances are greater that it wont be as succesful, we couldnt use my tendon, would have to get one off a cadaver etc. etc. He seems to think that my strength is alright, which I agree, I was curling 75% of my normal rep. weight 2 weeks after it happened, and he would like to forgo surgery and just do therapy. Should I get a second opinion and has anyone exp. this type of injury with no surgery?
    That was me 12 years ago. Same scenario with the good strength and all that. 3 top surgeons all told me the same thing "no surgery".
    It has affected a lot of things. The main thing is it has really put my body out of balance over the years, even with all kinds of different training stratagies. The worst part is the way it looks. No matter how much you train,
    you'll always have 1 arm that looks wierd. Mine rolled up pretty far, maybe yours isn't as bad. If yours is like mine, I'd have the surgery and accept the risks.

tw

dcraiga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bicep Injury

[QUOTE=ppirie1]I tore my distal approx. 6 weeks ago. It took them this long to have an mri done and to figure out what it was, i am thinking because the bicep didnt roll all the way up like it usually does with this injury. Anyway, the doc said because I didnt have surgery within three weeks of the injury that he would rather not do it because the chances are greater that it wont be as succesful, we couldnt use my tendon, would have to get one off a cadaver etc. etc. He seems to think that my strength is alright, which I agree, I was curling 75% of my normal rep. weight 2 weeks after it happened, and he would like to forgo surgery and just do therapy. Should I get a second opinion and has anyone exp. this type of injury with no surgery?

I was told at the time of my injury that I had about two weeks to make a decision. I made mine easily because I did not want any abnormality in my arm beyond what could not be repaired. I have talked with people who had no surgery and they just say you never regain all strength. Pronate and supine actions of the arm are limited.

T_Sprague has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Recovery Time

I had surgery to reattach my right distal bicep eight weeks ago after tearing it 6 days earlier. Compared to what I've been able to read on the internet, my rehab/recovery has been aggressive. I was in a splint and sling for 3 days post op. Afterwards the splint was removed and I was in a sling for two more weeks. At about 2.5 weeks the sling was removed and I was allowed to do basic ROM exercises such as extension/flex and pronation/supination. I've been in PT for the last three weeks and I've made some good progress with ROM exercises but still have a few questions:

My arm is still quite sore and swollen where the incision was made to reattach the tendon. Is this unusual at eight weeks? For those who also had the same surgery, were your experiences different?

My forearm has been numb since the surgery. The Doctor said it should return to normal but that there weren't any gaurantees. Did any of you experience numbness and if so how long did it take to return to normal.

Tim

Originally Posted by T_Sprague
    I had surgery to reattach my right distal bicep eight weeks ago after tearing it 6 days earlier. Compared to what I've been able to read on the internet, my rehab/recovery has been aggressive. I was in a splint and sling for 3 days post op. Afterwards the splint was removed and I was in a sling for two more weeks. At about 2.5 weeks the sling was removed and I was allowed to do basic ROM exercises such as extension/flex and pronation/supination. I've been in PT for the last three weeks and I've made some good progress with ROM exercises but still have a few questions:

My arm is still quite sore and swollen where the incision was made to reattach the tendon. Is this unusual at eight weeks? For those who also had the same surgery, were your experiences different?

My forearm has been numb since the surgery. The Doctor said it should return to normal but that there weren't any gaurantees. Did any of you experience numbness and if so how long did it take to return to normal.

Tim
    This is why my surgeon decided not to do the surgery; The potential nerve damage. I'm sure you'll be fine though. Mine happened awhile ago when they didn't quite have it wired yet. I have a funny looking arm because of it. I'd rather have a numb arm than what I ended up with. The topper is that my arms were my best body part. FU*k!!!!!!!!

tw

Torn tendon

Originally Posted by JaggedBill
    Sounds like it might be a partial tear since your bicep didnt move up your arm like mine did. (75% strength seems like a lot) Did the mri show a full tear? Also, for those of you who've recovered from surgery for a distal bicep tear, were you able to resume normal tricep exercises without delay?

The tendon was torn all the way. He said that he would have to get a tendon off of a cadaver if I opted for the surgery. Me being 36 he said he wouldnt do it. It would have been better if my bicep did roll all the way back up, that way they would have done an MRI right away instead of waiting 5 weeks to do so. I have opted to do rehab and see where it goes from there. I took a month off of working out but went back at it this week. I seem to be in the minority as my strength is still pretty good, although I havent done a biceps workout yet, that will come friday. Bicep looks a little weird but we will see.

Originally Posted by Tommy W.
    That was me 12 years ago. Same scenario with the good strength and all that. 3 top surgeons all told me the same thing "no surgery".
    It has affected a lot of things. The main thing is it has really put my body out of balance over the years, even with all kinds of different training stratagies. The worst part is the way it looks. No matter how much you train,
    you'll always have 1 arm that looks wierd. Mine rolled up pretty far, maybe yours isn't as bad. If yours is like mine, I'd have the surgery and accept the risks.

tw
    Appreciate the advise. I dont want to be affected the rest of my life but kind of worried about any future problems with surgery. I hope the rehab works.

BattleHymns will become famous soon enough. (+50) BattleHymns will become famous soon enough. (+50) BattleHymns will become famous soon enough. (+50) BattleHymns will become famous soon enough. (+50) BattleHymns will become famous soon enough. (+50) BattleHymns will become famous soon enough. (+50) BattleHymns will become famous soon enough. (+50) BattleHymns will become famous soon enough. (+50) BattleHymns will become famous soon enough. (+50) BattleHymns will become famous soon enough. (+50) BattleHymns will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I had a similiar injury "more of a combination" 3 1/2 months ago I snapped my humerus and from how my bicep looks now I think a slight tear and I got a little bit of shoulder pain .. what a nightmare 6 weeks of being immobile because of the bones grinding together (no cast just a collar and cuff) and your arm swollen to the size of your head. Didn't get to start lifting till 2-3 weeks ago and I have had to take it real easy but my strength is at 50% of what it used to be on all my lifts but some stuff I just cant do (tricep extensions/skull crushers hurt to much, reverse curls really painful). My bicep looks like kinda pushed off to the side though that might have something to do with the bone being thicker in my midshaft down to my elbow (looks weird).

deanwise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've torn my bicep playing goalie in indoor soccer about 6 years ago. got hit by the ball extremely hard twice on the left bicep. had pain in my arm but not severe then went off the field. Went home and my arm was swollen a little but no pain. swelling went away after about 6 weeks and then I see this disgusting bulge down by my elbow. 2 doctors both said no surgery. so here I'am with a disgusting looking arm that my boys tease me about.The doctors at the time said if I did have surgery I would have no useage of the arm for 6 months. Owning a small welding bussiness I could'nt have taken the time off anyway. But with a possible career change coming I might re-check about having the surgery.

brunbomber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

left distal

Tearing mt left distal biceps (connection at elbow) brought me to this discussion. I had been taking supplements, and had actually taken 5 weeks off from lifting, after going hard and heavy for months.

I was helping a friend move a piece of concrete- no warm up- but a total rupture on the concentric movement 9curl and odd supination) . Had surgery (single incision method) 3 days later. I am now in a restricted ROM splint, that doesn't really restrict my extension, so I duct taped it!

I am wondering if I will be able to lift again after 6 months. I am afraid of tearing it again. Anyone back to their pre-injury poundage or higher? What about arm size? How long did that take?

Thanks.

brunbomber-

I blew out mine on both arms, just like you. These were done seperately. It takes a while to recover, yes, but I'm back working out at full strength. I'm as strong as ever and I have no ill effects. My suggestions would be to be patient, don't rush it. It took probably a full year for each arm before I was totally pain free and lifting heavy again. My arms do look different now. My biceps, when I strike a pose, are much longer then they used to be. I also do have some issues if I do a lot of bicep/forearm work. Cissus RX has helped me a lot, especially with my shoulders. It's great for tendons. Do some research on here and see if it's something that could help you. Good look in your recovery.

hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by bi19tri
    Anybody torn a bicep and had it fixed? what was recovery like and how long?
    Dave
    Bicep tear one year ago, doing a 130 lb each flat db press.
    Just went to pick up the second db and rip.
    Hurt like hell and had to baby it for 6- eight months.
    Now it has a strange shape like a baseball bicep, I guess I will live with it what choice do I have now? Grown to like it some what..lol
    Now I'm quite carefull on picking up weight no matter how many times I've picked up the same weight!
    Attached Images

Originally Posted by edvanp
    brunbomber-

I blew out mine on both arms, just like you. These were done seperately. It takes a while to recover, yes, but I'm back working out at full strength. I'm as strong as ever and I have no ill effects. My suggestions would be to be patient, don't rush it. It took probably a full year for each arm before I was totally pain free and lifting heavy again. My arms do look different now. My biceps, when I strike a pose, are much longer then they used to be. I also do have some issues if I do a lot of bicep/forearm work. Cissus RX has helped me a lot, especially with my shoulders. It's great for tendons. Do some research on here and see if it's something that could help you. Good look in your recovery.
    edvamp,

Thanks for the advice. Wow, both arms? I'm sure I will be very hesitant to lift heavy again, but thankfully my injury did not happen in the gym.

I can already see the atrophy in my left biceps. On my best day, fully pumped, I was just short of 18" biceps. I will be amazed if I can get to that size again. Symetry is not an issue, since I am not a competitor.

I will look into the Cissus RX. I'm glad to hear you are doing well. Thanks again for the encouragement!

brunbomber

It's been about 4 months since my surgery. (5/06) Skipping surgery was never an option for me since I was able to take the time off work. Recovery seems to be good. No pain in rotation or flexion. Range of motion in extention/flexion is 100%. Supination/rotation is around 90%, give or take (which I think will continue to improve). Some residual muscle tension when I make a fist (I believe because of the cast phase). Nerve problems have all cleared after 4 months. Muscle attachment looks pretty normal. (I did lose alot of muscle, particularly in the tricep.)
    Like others on this thread, I have questions about therapy. I've been experiencing no pain/swelling but at four months I have just started strength therapy. I probably haven't lifted (directly) with more than 10 or 12 lbs. Doc says I can probably lift up to 25lbs. This seems like a bit much, and downright scary sometimes. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by JaggedBill; 08-27-2006 at 06:20 PM.

You are about 3 months ahead of me, but I understand your hesitation to lift. How long were you in a sling (around your neck)? They gave me the robobrace 1 1/2 weeks after surgery and sent me on my way. I put the sling over it because I could feel the extension was too much. Now the atrophy is really depressing. Keep up the posts and good luck on your continued recovery!