ricky deez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ricky deez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question @Home Pull/Chin-Ups

I am attempting to create or buy a pull/chin-up bar in my room at home. I have large beams across my ceiling that can support something hanging from them - ie: bodyweight or heavy bag.

I wanted to build and hang a chin-up bar but am having problems. My first attempt was to build one myself from Home Depot but couldn't find the right parts. My second attempt was to search and find something online that would work but had no luck. I was looking into buying a lat-pulldown bar to use, while attaching each side to two chains hanging down but every lat bar only has a hook in the middle of the bar, not ends.

I have looked into the door chin-up bars but do not watch to drill anything in my doorway and would rather utilize something hanging from my ceiling.

Has anyone attempted this? Any suggestions on systems or parts i can buy to make this work?

Thx.
    Ripped Deez.

ONAPATHTOSELFDESTRUCTION soserious's Avatar
    soserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) soserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) soserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) soserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) soserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) soserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) soserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) soserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) soserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) soserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) soserious will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hmm, I have seen a pull up bar home made by two ropes going around a ceiling beam and a loop in each end to put the bar through.
    You might be able to pick up a cheap old barbell bar to use and cut it to size? I had to do that to get a decent sized one arm row bar.
    Are the beams like attatched to the ceiling at the top, or are they capable of having a loop of rope slung all the way around them? If it is the latter I think you could use one length of strong rope and an old barbell.
    AS I WALK THROUGH THE VALLEY OF THE SHADOW OF DEATH I SHALL FEAR NO EVIL, `COS IM THE MEANEST F##KER IN THE LAND, AND I CARRY A BIG KNIFE!

www.faithfreedom.org
    http://hardgainer.co.uk/

nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Grab some 3/4" pipe, which will have lots of options for elbows, mounting pads, etc. Just be sure to use bolts or good, solid screws. Here's an outside example. . .
    Attached Images

ricky deez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ricky deez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thx guys.

@sos, the beam is both attached the the roof and has spaces so i can wrap something around it. I was originally going to use two chains, but would ropes be better?

@nut, thx for pic, it's a good example altho i dont want to drill anything.
    Ripped Deez.

mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000)
    You can just use some heavy rope/chain and hang it down in a 'U', put some gloves on and do pullups on that. Or one of those $20 door frame bars would probably work. I say do the heavy chain thing, it looks tougher

I got the idea from get rich or die trying lol.

mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by nutsy54
    Grab some 3/4" pipe, which will have lots of options for elbows, mounting pads, etc. Just be sure to use bolts or good, solid screws. Here's an outside example. . .
    thats badass

Registered User TaKe iT oR SqueeZe iT's Avatar
    TaKe iT oR SqueeZe iT is on a distinguished road. (+10) TaKe iT oR SqueeZe iT is on a distinguished road. (+10) TaKe iT oR SqueeZe iT is on a distinguished road. (+10) TaKe iT oR SqueeZe iT is on a distinguished road. (+10) TaKe iT oR SqueeZe iT is on a distinguished road. (+10) TaKe iT oR SqueeZe iT is on a distinguished road. (+10) TaKe iT oR SqueeZe iT is on a distinguished road. (+10) TaKe iT oR SqueeZe iT is on a distinguished road. (+10) TaKe iT oR SqueeZe iT is on a distinguished road. (+10) TaKe iT oR SqueeZe iT is on a distinguished road. (+10) TaKe iT oR SqueeZe iT is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by mike_d
    You can just use some heavy rope/chain and hang it down in a 'U', put some gloves on and do pullups on that. Or one of those $20 door frame bars would probably work. I say do the heavy chain thing, it looks tougher

Thats a great idea. Any pics from the movie? Screen caps?

Damn, just downloaded that and was gonna watch it tonight.

I'll post some screens when i see it. Hopefully it'll give me an idea. Thx SqueZe
    Ripped Deez.

Originally Posted by TaKe iT oR SqueeZe iT
    Thats a great idea. Any pics from the movie? Screen caps?
    sorry, i saw it at my friends house...if you get the movie (online, lol) its in the part where he's rehabbing himself after getting shot. i wish i could get screencaps because i suck at MS Paint haha.

heres my paint attempt. He wrapped the chain around a thick tree branch, but it could be applied in certain basements, especially if you have room over 2 beams to run the chain/rope through.

Just loop it wider, maybe across 3 beams to do regular pullups, or loop it around a few more times across 2 beams to do closer grip work like cg chins. Sorry for the crappy pic, but you hopefully get the idea.
    Attached Images

Lol, nice pic Mike.

Have you tried chin/pull-ups with only holding a chain?

It sounds like it'd be hard to stabilize yourself... but i guess that's the point and will become stronger doing so.
    Ripped Deez.

Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i had one at my old house, i bought it at a sporting goods store and it cost like $30 or so. All you had to do was mount it in a doorway, it worked really well.

Originally Posted by ricky deez
    Lol, nice pic Mike.

Have you tried chin/pull-ups with only holding a chain?

It sounds like it'd be hard to stabilize yourself... but i guess that's the point and will become stronger doing so.
    I dont think it would be much harder, I dunno. The real benefit is cost, the chain shouldnt cost more than 8 bucks at home depot.

Other than that look into those doorframe bars, they're cheap too and most sports/lifting shops carry them. Or you could spring more $$ and get one of those dip/chin stations (I got one for $289 CDN) or you could really spring more $$ and get a power rack with a chin bar and optionally dip station.

soserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) soserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) soserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) soserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) soserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) soserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) soserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) soserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) soserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) soserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) soserious will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ricky deez
    Thx guys.

@sos, the beam is both attached the the roof and has spaces so i can wrap something around it. I was originally going to use two chains, but would ropes be better?

@nut, thx for pic, it's a good example altho i dont want to drill anything.
    If you use chains you may find that the links make the bar unevenly balanced unless they`re perfect, but it has some benefits. I`d go with a length of strong rope or preferrably get some thick cable wrapped in plastic outer sheath from a hardware store.
    Then with the cable get a long enough length to be able to use it for both without cutting it as it`ll be stronger that way. Then suspend a bar from the ends of the cables, make a good loop on each side.
    *You might want to look online for some good knots to use as some are better than others for security and safety.
    Last edited by soserious; 03-13-2006 at 02:44 PM.
    AS I WALK THROUGH THE VALLEY OF THE SHADOW OF DEATH I SHALL FEAR NO EVIL, `COS IM THE MEANEST F##KER IN THE LAND, AND I CARRY A BIG KNIFE!

www.faithfreedom.org

Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by nutsy54
    sweet

eiker_ir is a name known to all. (+5000) eiker_ir is a name known to all. (+5000) eiker_ir is a name known to all. (+5000) eiker_ir is a name known to all. (+5000) eiker_ir is a name known to all. (+5000) eiker_ir is a name known to all. (+5000) eiker_ir is a name known to all. (+5000) eiker_ir is a name known to all. (+5000) eiker_ir is a name known to all. (+5000) eiker_ir is a name known to all. (+5000) eiker_ir is a name known to all. (+5000)
    sorry, i saw it at my friends house...if you get the movie (online, lol) its in the part where he's rehabbing himself after getting shot. i wish i could get screencaps because i suck at MS Paint haha.

heres my paint attempt. He wrapped the chain around a thick tree branch, but it could be applied in certain basements, especially if you have room over 2 beams to run the chain/rope through.

Just loop it wider, maybe across 3 beams to do regular pullups, or loop it around a few more times across 2 beams to do closer grip work like cg chins. Sorry for the crappy pic, but you hopefully get the idea.
    Mr. T did pull-ups/chin-ups like that in Rocky 3,
    but with a rope not a chain if i remember correctly

Think i found a solution that will work.

I bought the attached lat bar. I can then hook a chain/rope to each end.

What you think?
    Attached Images
    Ripped Deez.

Looks good.

www.faithfreedom.org

The Giant Killer ShreddedShruggin's Avatar
    ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Dude why don't you just get a telescopic pull up bar? They come with no hardware, they just tighten to whatever doorway or frame and it sits there and you do pull ups off it. I have one, I weigh 170 and have close grip pull ups with 65 and it feels pretty sturdy. Just a thought, so you wouldn't have to go through all this trouble.

-Shruggin

cpcwillcutyou has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    amazon.com

I got mine for 15 bucks and I use it any time I am in the living room in front of the tv.