Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    rsd147 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rsd147 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rsd147 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rsd147 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rsd147 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rsd147 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rsd147 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rsd147 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rsd147 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rsd147 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rsd147 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

In agony with the Back

hey guys

Was doing deadlifts in the gym thursday, started on warm up 40 kg all together so not much and a shooting pain in the lower back, rested for couple of minutes and then started again and it felt okay so completed my workout

Now I am in so much pain, doesnt hurt that much when walking but when rested and then move I get shooting pains, slight movement and I am in agony. When laid or sat comfortably all it feels like is my lower back feels numb and warm.

Any ideas and what I could do help the healing process?

Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by rsd147 View Post
    hey guys

Was doing deadlifts in the gym thursday, started on warm up 40 kg all together so not much and a shooting pain in the lower back, rested for couple of minutes and then started again and it felt okay so completed my workout

Now I am in so much pain, doesnt hurt that much when walking but when rested and then move I get shooting pains, slight movement and I am in agony. When laid or sat comfortably all it feels like is my lower back feels numb and warm.

Any ideas and what I could do help the healing process?
    Bro,

If you are comfortable walking than setting then you may (I repeat, MAY) have herniated a disc.

Please do this test and get back to me.

Lie down on the ground (Flat). Lift one leg up 60 degrees, then 90 degrees. Do you feel a shooting pain down your leg or your lower back? Do the same for your other leg.
    When you're done, walk around only using your heels. Do you feel pain?
    Next, walk around only on your toes, do you feel pain?

If no to all three, then you probably pulled a muscle and/or are going through DOMS, which is a good sign.

In terms of how to treat it, for now use the RICE method. Only do this within the 48 hour period of your injury though.

Finally, and most importantly, go see a medical professional to ensure you're okay.

When I thought I herniated my disc (Thank God I didn't) I went to not one, not two, but three doctors just to ensure I'm okay.

Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    rsd147 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rsd147 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rsd147 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rsd147 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rsd147 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rsd147 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rsd147 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rsd147 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rsd147 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rsd147 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rsd147 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Yoy0 View Post
    Bro,

If you are comfortable walking than setting then you may (I repeat, MAY) have herniated a disc.

Please do this test and get back to me.

Lie down on the ground (Flat). Lift one leg up 60 degrees, then 90 degrees. Do you feel a shooting pain down your leg or your lower back? Do the same for your other leg.
    When you're done, walk around only using your heels. Do you feel pain?
    Next, walk around only on your toes, do you feel pain?

If no to all three, then you probably pulled a muscle and/or are going through DOMS, which is a good sign.

In terms of how to treat it, for now use the RICE method. Only do this within the 48 hour period of your injury though.

Finally, and most importantly, go see a medical professional to ensure you're okay.

When I thought I herniated my disc (Thank God I didn't) I went to not one, not two, but three doctors just to ensure I'm okay.
    No shooting pain s or nothing trying what you have told me. So you think I have pulled my muscle? what should I do to help healing process?

Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Yoy0 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by rsd147 View Post
    No shooting pain s or nothing trying what you have told me. So you think I have pulled my muscle? what should I do to help healing process?
    Alright, so there are two ways to tackle this.

You could either rest it out for a week, then go to the GYM all ready. Be sure to take some pain meds, stretch it regularly, apply heat and so on.

Or alternatively, you can do what I do.

I rested for 2 days then went to the GYM on my 3rd day. I made sure to stretch every single thing in my body right after my 5 minute warm up then hit the weights. I worked on lower back first by doing hyper extensions. Hyper extensions are awersome as a means of strengthening the lower back (I'm sure you know this), do this for a week or so, I did 3 sets, 20 reps each.

You should not feel pain during any of your workouts, and if you do, then stop. The truth of the matter is this, if you move your muscles, if you keep them working, you actually stimulate the healing process faster. Research has shown this, and there is actually a sticky on this forum that says moving the muscle is beneficial during a healing process.

You should use RICE for the first 48 hours, but not after. The reason is because after 48 hours of an injury, the healing process begins and so you need more blood flow into the muscles.

Also, use a foam roller on the lower back. I'm not over 50 posts yet so I can't link you anything, but just do a google search and you should see what I'm talking about.

And finally, please, do not ignore this and go see a Doctor. You will feel so much better if they, too, confirm that there is no herniated disc. (I mean this mentally).

Some things you should be eating/taking

Fish Oil supps - These are awesome. They are natural anti-inflammatories and help prevent further injury by actually lubricating joints
    L-Glutamine (usually found in Whey Protein Shakes) - this helps muscle recovery
    Calcium - This can be taken in supplements or just by drinking milk - calcium helps blood flow and bone regeneration
    Protein, protein, protein - I don't think I need to tell you this

Good luck with your recovery, let me know how it goes.

Azscape has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I wish I could tell everyone in the world to warm up SLOWLY and with low weights when doing Deadlifts, and to do this exercise SLOWLY and with a weight they can control. I shudder every time I read one of these back injury posts, and there are so many of them.
    Last edited by Azscape; 02-19-2012 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Fix up