wastedtime is on a distinguished road. (+10) wastedtime is on a distinguished road. (+10) wastedtime is on a distinguished road. (+10) wastedtime is on a distinguished road. (+10) wastedtime is on a distinguished road. (+10) wastedtime is on a distinguished road. (+10) wastedtime is on a distinguished road. (+10) wastedtime is on a distinguished road. (+10) wastedtime is on a distinguished road. (+10) wastedtime is on a distinguished road. (+10) wastedtime is on a distinguished road. (+10)

San Fran Pro Review

Although I check these forums on a fairly regular basis, I don't actually post very often but I was able to attend the show in Hayward and thought I'd give u my 2 cents on the experience.

This was the first pro show that I had ever attended. My wife came with me, and I had a lot of fun pointing out everyone in the industry who was there. I'm gonna break this review up into separate parts as I experienced them.

Ed Corney

As we were waiting in line to get into the show (it was ass cold by the way - that's worse than just plain regular cold), an old guy comes shuffling up to one of the empty tables beside a vendor. As I take a second look I realize that it is the great Ed Corney. Man as I stood there I kind of felt bad for him. It looks like he has a hard time walking, its ass cold outside, and here he is setting up a table to sell signed pictures of himself. I don't know, I just felt like here is Ed Corney man why the hell does he have to do this to make money? I just hope that he does it because he loves the fans and not because he needs the money. This is a prime example of why promoters need to raise the prize money at some of the smaller shows. It was cool to see him.

Flavio

Dudes Flavio Baccianni (don't think I spelled that right) was there. Looked like a nice guy, but dang hes short. I swear after seeing most of these bodybuilders I felt like I was at the midget Olympics. Flavio, Eric Bui, Farnsworth, heck even Branch, Johnnie, and Dim are all shortish. You don't really get how short most of them are until u see them up close. I'm only 5'8" by the way so I know short. Flavio was there with like a 5' 10" amazon woman (not sure if it was wife or girlfriend). He smelled of fruity protein shake when he walked by me. It was hilarious.

Figure Girls

Look I know that figure girls work their butts off to get into that kind of shape but good God they look weird. Orange as hell. I mean like Martian soil red/orange. It looks good when they're on the stage from a distance, but up close? Holy crap. They look practically emaciated and also practically identical. I can't imagine being a judge and trying to figure it out. Two of the girls who placed well looked pretty good. Their faces were a little fuller and they really had the whole package. One of them qualified for the Olympia. We were able to sit next to the mother of one of the winners and got to see her trophy which was kind of neat. Also note to all the women attending the show, if you are not competing, don't look like u are! God there were orange girls in the audience!

Bob

We had pretty good seats and were 3 rows in front of the area where Bob was broadcasting for bodybuilding.com. There was virtually noone in the two rows behind us, so I had a clear, close view of Bob talking (and talking heh) and interviewing Branch, Johnnie, and Lonnie Teper. Let me tell u Bob is way bigger than both Branch and Johnnie. One thing that my wife thought was hilarious was when Bob was interviewing Branch it was like he didn't ask him a single question. Bob talks for like 1 minute then Branch says, "yeah". Then Bob talks for a minute and Branch says, "uh huh". The Teper interview was better. Anyway it was kind of cool getting to see Bob do his thing in person after listening to him on the web for so long.

Quick thoughts
    Schmoe sighting - 50ish freaky looking short guy with a paunch ( no it wasnt shawn ray (just kidding shawn) man i love parentheses) who looked like one of those schmoes u here about. He was carrying a suspicious looking black satchel. Alright, considering security was checking bags at the door, there was probably only protein bars in there but it sure looked weird.
    Flex- putting on a few lbs. I think. He was there all night taking pictures.
    Old fat dude wearing a beanie and a WAY too tight long sleeve white shirt - what the hell do some ppl think when they walk out the door?

Contest opinions

Only a couple guys in the bottom 11 (the ones that didnt place) looked like they didnt belong on the stage. I forget their names euros probably. I had seen Eryk Bui walking around greeting fans before the night show started and wasn't sure if he was competing or not. He looked great but I figured if he was competing hed be back stage getting ready. Turns out he was probably just not all that concerned with the night show since he had placed out of the top 15. I thought he wouldve snuck in there just because of his good showing at the Ironman. He wasnt in the same kind of shape, but he wasn't extremely off. I don't know.
    Overall I thought the placings were pretty fair except for a couple. Honestly I would have had Melvin at #6 instead of #3. He has it all but he just isn't hard enough. In fact hes never hard enough. He will never win the Arnold or Olympia until he hardens up. Great back though. I also would have moved Mustafa down to #7 instead of #4. I don't know how he can change so much in a week, but his physique was more balance tan at the Arnold. So here are the top eight as I had them.

#1. Gustavo Badell - much better than the Arnold, had it all - weird ending to the night ill tell u about in a sec
    #2. Branch Warren - a really tough call, but I had him at a close second.
    #3. Tony Freeman - this guy has mondo potential. I mean I think hes really got Olympia potential. Huge yet aesthetic, symmetrical, and tons of room for more muscle. Watch out for this guy if he can improve.
    #4.Ahmad Haidar - looked awesome, great package. I get the feeling that in the judges eyes he just isnt big enough to win a major pro contest. That's too bad. (Darrem has the same problem.)
    #5.Johnnie Jackson - overlooked as usual (well he deserved his placing at the Arnold).
    #6. Melvin Anthony - dude can pose, he rocked the hizzy (thats cool for house)
    #7. Mustafa Mohammad
    #8. Kris Dim

I didn't do more than eight because it got real difficult to judge after that. Chris Cook needs to break down and get a "guru". He should be coming in better than he has been.

Final Word (thank God ur saying)

What was the deal with Gustava Badell? Like I said he had it all and deserved to win, but dude what the hell was up with the shouting during the final callouts? When I say shouting, I mean he was standing on stage yelling "si!" after every damn call. Quarter turn to the right, "si!". Quarter turn to the right "si!" That "si" meaning yes in Spanish - I can't do the accent over the i. There were guys in the audience yelling loudly in Spanish to Gustavo the whole time and every time he responded to them by yelling and grunting. Look Im all for showmanship and intensity but it was bordering on the ridiculous. I know for sure that the other 4 on stage with him were pissed off BIG TIME. They tried not to show it, but u could tell they were steamed especially Branch. The yelling and grunting was so bad I was afraid they would mark Badell down and give Branch #1 (Im sure the scores were really close). Anyway it was just a little weird.

Well thats it. I know this was long sorry. My wife took about 200 pictures and I am going to try to post some in the next couple days. Ive never done it before but I am going to try (im not real tech savvy). Thx for reading.

Walkin'tall machinegunman PrivateBaldrick's Avatar
    PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I think Ed Corney had a stroke. Jay Cutler runs into him during his 2003 BFTO segment, and he looks somewhat feeble, although I think he was training at Gold's.