m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000)

romanian deadlift vs deadlift?

i was always under the impression that the romanian deadlift and deadlift are the same thing. but i was looking through a m&f magazine today and on one of their workout plans under there leg day it says "romanian deadlift" for hamstrings and then on there back day it says "deadlift" for back. is there a difference?

KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Exactly that. Most of the tension in deadlifts is placed on the lower back whereas most of the tension in Romanians goes on the hams in the stretch position created by the exaggerated leg extension at the bottom of the lift.
    Geese_Howard: Just walk into any mental institution and tell the docs in there everything about your religion but substitute the name muhammed for 'Punjab' and see if they let you walk out...

m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000)
    oh okay, so with a deadlift you're lifting more from your back where as with a romainian deadlift your pushing your hips under you and using more of your hamstrings right? or am i wrong? ive never really done any type of deadlift except stiff legged.

KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by m0neymike View Post
    oh okay, so with a deadlift you're lifting more from your back where as with a romainian deadlift your pushing your hips under you and using more of your hamstrings right? or am i wrong? ive never really done any type of deadlift except stiff legged.
    Yes. I think stiff legged and Romanians are synonymous. I don't see a difference.
    Geese_Howard: Just walk into any mental institution and tell the docs in there everything about your religion but substitute the name muhammed for 'Punjab' and see if they let you walk out...

okay..one more question..i think im just confusing myself more here.. i looked on the exercise guide on the main site and it says deadlifts are mainly a quads excercise with hams, calves and glutes being second..so how does it turn into a mainly back excercise?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exer...rbell+Deadlift

DtotheJtotheH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DtotheJtotheH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DtotheJtotheH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DtotheJtotheH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DtotheJtotheH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DtotheJtotheH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DtotheJtotheH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DtotheJtotheH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DtotheJtotheH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DtotheJtotheH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DtotheJtotheH has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    okay..one more question..i think im just confusing myself more here.. i looked on the exercise guide on the main site and it says deadlifts are mainly a quads excercise with hams, calves and glutes being second..so how does it turn into a mainly back excercise?

Where do you feel it most after deadlift. Lower back for me. Extending your back uses it alot, especially considering the high weigths normally done.

Originally Posted by DtotheJtotheH View Post
    Where do you feel it most after deadlift. Lower back for me. Extending your back uses it alot, especially considering the high weigths normally done.
    arrite..well ill just do them tomorrow and see how it feels then, tomorrow is back day for me and i was looking for something new to do and was confused if its mainly legs or back

solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100) solid_intensity is not very well liked. (-100)
    Deadlift does work the legs, thats the majority of the movement from the legs. But because of where the weight is, you have to stablize your back and keep it in perfect form through out. But really it works out your entire body.

GROPEGRABOSHITWTFBBQ! Hard Drive's Avatar
    Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I think a deadlift is a deadlift, you pick it up and you stand up w/ it, straight back throughout the lift. My natural form is romanian DL, the heavier it gets the more stiff legged it gets.
    Rice Power Log

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=332791061

Success requires single-mindedness of purpose.
    ---------------
    tofu/rice/ranch---no meat

I can understand that... esp. if you squat down with your legs to deadlift. The only time I would do that tho is when straddling the bar, "Jefferson" style, so it goes between your legs. An even more effective version to hit your quads that straddled way is one-legged, so the back leg is rested on a box.

pantera02018 is just really nice. (+1000) pantera02018 is just really nice. (+1000) pantera02018 is just really nice. (+1000) pantera02018 is just really nice. (+1000) pantera02018 is just really nice. (+1000) pantera02018 is just really nice. (+1000) pantera02018 is just really nice. (+1000) pantera02018 is just really nice. (+1000) pantera02018 is just really nice. (+1000) pantera02018 is just really nice. (+1000) pantera02018 is just really nice. (+1000)
    both work the posterior chain.

deadlifts also are brutal on the back because more weight is used (the muscles are trained isometrically..as in they dont actually move..they just stay flexed to support the weight)..hence why they are effective for building back size.

the bronze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the bronze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the bronze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the bronze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the bronze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the bronze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the bronze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the bronze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the bronze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the bronze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the bronze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

There is a significant difference between the 3 deadlifts

Traditional deadlift uses much more legs in support of the spinal erectors and traps in lifting the weight. Good all around glute, and lower back builder.

Romanian deadlift has a minor bend to the knees and slightly detensions the hamstrings so that the spinal erectors get the brunt of the movement. This deadlift has the largest range of movement at the hips from the hips upward and focuses on the spinal erectors with the hamstrings playing a major secondary supportive role.

The stiff legged deadlift has the knees locked (or semi locked if preffered) and puts the onus on the hamstrings since they are fully tensioned and engaged. If done with focus, a person will feel the movement fully in the hamstrings and wont feel the lower back as much as in the romanian and the traditional deadlift.

They are all different but all support each other in the way that they shift the focus of primary dynamic responsability and supportive secondary pull from one to the other as you move between the exercises. I would play with all of them to get the full benefit from all of them.

the bronze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the bronze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the bronze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the bronze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the bronze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the bronze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the bronze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the bronze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the bronze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the bronze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the bronze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

look at how the back moves

regular deadlift... back moved maybe 45 degrees. Lots of load and a fair amount of range of motion. Lots of leg bend and thigh load.

romanian deadlift.... very little thigh bend. just enough to detension the hamstrings and allow for the torso to become parallel to the ground. About 80 - 90 degrees of movement for the torso from the axis of the hip so alot of range of motion for the spinal erectors to pull around. The focus here is on the lower back.

stiff legged deadlift.... no thigh bend puts the multiple hamstrings in full tension. Still alot of rom in the torso around the lower back but if done with a straight back (eyes up and shoulders back) then rom of the torso is maybe 45 - 80 degrees on most people. rom could be higher on really flexible hamstring people.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    For anyone interested, SLDL vs. Romanian: http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.php?t=261072.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post
    For anyone interested, SLDL vs. Romanian: http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.php?t=261072.
    The lower back will act as a stabilizer during both movements. With SDL's, the lower back is a prime mover, due to its rounding out. Another difference between RDL's and SSDL's is the where the barbell is located, in relation to your body. With the RDL, the bar is to be keep close to the body and with the SSDL, the barbell will travel away from the body.
    This is what I've known to be the difference but since most lifters avoid the back rounding and bring the bar close to the body, the distinction is blurred. So lifters are usually doing a RDL by those descriptions.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    i was always under the impression that the romanian deadlift and deadlift are the same thing. but i was looking through a m&f magazine today and on one of their workout plans under there leg day it says "romanian deadlift" for hamstrings and then on there back day it says "deadlift" for back. is there a difference?
    RDLs allow you to more specifically target the glutes and hamstrings. You also won't be able to use the kind of weight you typically deadlift from the floor for them either, making them less effective as a back builder. Rack pulls take deadlifts a step further as a back exercise since they allow you to use even more weight by minizing leg involvement and pulling from a position of better leverage.

burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by KingSht View Post
    This is what I've known to be the difference but since most lifters avoid the back rounding and bring the bar close to the body, the distinction is blurred. So lifters are usually doing a RDL by those descriptions.
    I disagree with this distinction entirely. SLDLs can be done both round and flat backed, but are most commonly done flat backed. The difference is that an RDL starts at the top of the movement and is never deloaded, whereas an SLDL starts dead on the floor at the beginning of each rep.

Originally Posted by burningNun View Post
    I disagree with this distinction entirely. SLDLs can be done both round and flat backed, but are most commonly done flat backed. The difference is that an RDL starts at the top of the movement and is never deloaded, whereas an SLDL starts dead on the floor at the beginning of each rep.
    That why I don't worry about the terms too much as from forum to forum (and between articles) someone always finds a variation from the basic movement to box it into RDL and SLDL.

legs 30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) legs 30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) legs 30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) legs 30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) legs 30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) legs 30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) legs 30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) legs 30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) legs 30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) legs 30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) legs 30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

SteveCNY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SteveCNY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SteveCNY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SteveCNY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SteveCNY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SteveCNY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    RDL is good to practice when you want to getyour clean #s up
    Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence.