Vanchatron is not very well liked. (-100) Vanchatron is not very well liked. (-100) Vanchatron is not very well liked. (-100) Vanchatron is not very well liked. (-100) Vanchatron is not very well liked. (-100) Vanchatron is not very well liked. (-100) Vanchatron is not very well liked. (-100) Vanchatron is not very well liked. (-100) Vanchatron is not very well liked. (-100) Vanchatron is not very well liked. (-100) Vanchatron is not very well liked. (-100)

Bench Dips - What Are They Like For Triceps?

I was thinking of adding bench dips into my workout and adding weight onto my lap to make it harder. How are these for putting mass onto your triceps?

HK

papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Vanchatron
    I was thinking of adding bench dips into my workout and adding weight onto my lap to make it harder. How are these for putting mass onto your triceps?

HK
    I would say the third best mass building exercise for the triceps. Close-Grip Bench Presses and Triceps Dips would only be the better two.

Bogaerts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bogaerts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bogaerts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bogaerts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bogaerts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bogaerts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bogaerts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bogaerts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bogaerts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bogaerts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bogaerts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

HK
    I have used them with some good results but I think dips are better.

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    They are excellent, but one of the biggest pain in the rears of all exercises to get into position for, especially weighted with a 45 on your lap.
    Time To Re-Schedule

utah997 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utah997 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utah997 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utah997 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utah997 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utah997 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utah997 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utah997 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utah997 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utah997 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utah997 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Tyrbolift
    They are excellent, but one of the biggest pain in the rears of all exercises to get into position for, especially weighted with a 45 on your lap.
    That's when it pays to have a training partner.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    they blow ass compared to parallel bar dips.
    <->

Vanchatron is not very well liked. (-100) Vanchatron is not very well liked. (-100) Vanchatron is not very well liked. (-100) Vanchatron is not very well liked. (-100) Vanchatron is not very well liked. (-100) Vanchatron is not very well liked. (-100) Vanchatron is not very well liked. (-100) Vanchatron is not very well liked. (-100) Vanchatron is not very well liked. (-100) Vanchatron is not very well liked. (-100) Vanchatron is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by $AJ
    they blow ass compared to parallel bar dips.
    I realise that but I asked what they were like for triceps

Of course I know that there's better ones out there such as CGBP & Parallel Dips. It's just that I was looking for another tricep exercise to add into my routine and wanted to know about them.

HK

Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I do not like them (especially with any decent weight) because of the unusual stress they place on my shoulders, and limited range of motion.

Just my opinion.
    "When my opponent contracts, I expand. And when he expands, I contract.
    And when the opportunity arrives, *looks at clenched fist* I do not hit with it. It hits all by itself"-Bruce Lee
    ---------------------------------------------------
    If you're hungry.....it's too late.

kojack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kojack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kojack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kojack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kojack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kojack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kojack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kojack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have to agree with the others. Though it is a good excercise, it is a pain to do when its just yourself putting the weight on your lap. I like weighted dips but don't have a belt and my gym. I was thinking of investing in one. For now I have to hold a 45 pound db between my feet and after 3 sets, it starts to dig into my ankle bone. Sucks but it works.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I realise that but I asked what they were like for triceps

Of course I know that there's better ones out there such as CGBP & Parallel Dips. It's just that I was looking for another tricep exercise to add into my routine and wanted to know about them.

HK
    extensions then.

Originally Posted by Mike750
    I do not like them (especially with any decent weight) because of the unusual stress they place on my shoulders, and limited range of motion.

Just my opinion.
    becasue they suck and are a good way to injure your r/c. avoid them.
    <->

grow stronger comrade rockhuddy's Avatar
    rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Mike750

Just my opinion.
    You can avoid shoulder problems by not going down all the way (just like on regular dips). I don't do bench dips regularly, but when I do they absolutely destroy my tris. You need a partner to really get anything out of them, but if you do they're good stuff.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

OK well the thing is, I do a certain amount of exercises for a particular bodypart for 8 weeks, then I change the exercises. For example, here's my tricep routine I'm doing at the moment:

Flat Close-Grip Bench Press
    Overhead EZ Bar Extensions
    (Was gonna add bench dips here but I don't wanna injure my RC so which other exercise would you suggest instead?)

I then switch it for this routine after 8 weeks:

Weighted Parallel Bar Dips
    Reverse-Grip Bench Press (What's the deal with these aswell, high injury risk?)
    Skullcrushers

HK

rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    OK well the thing is, I do a certain amount of exercises for a particular bodypart for 8 weeks, then I change the exercises. For example, here's my tricep routine I'm doing at the moment:

Flat Close-Grip Bench Press
    Overhead EZ Bar Extensions
    (Was gonna add bench dips here but I don't wanna injure my RC so which other exercise would you suggest instead?)

I then switch it for this routine after 8 weeks:

Weighted Parallel Bar Dips
    Reverse-Grip Bench Press (What's the deal with these aswell, high injury risk?)
    Skullcrushers

HK
    That looks solid to me with the bench dips in there during phase 1. As for RGBP, it's my favorite tri exercise. You'll have to play around with hand positioning to find something comfortable, but I like shoulder width and bringing the bar down to my stomach. I've never had any problems with reverse grip, I suppose they could be hard on your wrists until you get the hang of em. Just make sure you're doing them in a rack or with a spotter, because racking and unracking the bar with a reverse grip could be lethal otherwise.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Originally Posted by rockhuddy
    That looks solid to me with the bench dips in there during phase 1. As for RGBP, it's my favorite tri exercise. You'll have to play around with hand positioning to find something comfortable, but I like shoulder width and bringing the bar down to my stomach. I've never had any problems with reverse grip, I suppose they could be hard on your wrists until you get the hang of em. Just make sure you're doing them in a rack or with a spotter, because racking and unracking the bar with a reverse grip could be lethal otherwise.
    Well I always do them in a smith machine. I don't have a power rack at my gym unfortunately. I've never been able to unrack them properly and do the exercise using a free weight barbell.

HK

Well I always do them in a smith machine. I don't have a power rack at my gym unfortunately. I've never been able to unrack them properly and do the exercise using a free weight barbell.

HK
    That sucks. I've never done em on a smith (we don't have one, but we do have 7 power racks, lol), but if it feels right, keep at it.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    The only issue is adding weight which becomes awkward, especially if you're training alone. Parallel dips with a dip belt are a breeze and provided you're remaining upright with your elbows in close, they'll do an excellent job of hitting the tris.

Bench dips are probably fine for someone starting out or who doesn't need more than a 45 added for resistance. Beyond that point, it's just too much screwing around.

PureMotivation will become famous soon enough. (+50) PureMotivation will become famous soon enough. (+50) PureMotivation will become famous soon enough. (+50) PureMotivation will become famous soon enough. (+50) PureMotivation will become famous soon enough. (+50) PureMotivation will become famous soon enough. (+50) PureMotivation will become famous soon enough. (+50) PureMotivation will become famous soon enough. (+50) PureMotivation will become famous soon enough. (+50) PureMotivation will become famous soon enough. (+50) PureMotivation will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by _Dominik_
    The only issue is adding weight which becomes awkward, especially if you're training alone. Parallel dips with a dip belt are a breeze and provided you're remaining upright with your elbows in close, they'll do an excellent job of hitting the tris.

Bench dips are probably fine for someone starting out or who doesn't need more than a 45 added for resistance. Beyond that point, it's just too much screwing around.
    Agreed, I'm a fan o bench dips but, if you don't have a partner or someone you know somewhat well in the gym it's awkward asking someone to place a 45'er on your lap =)
    "real results come when that average load goes up rather than the peak weight on one set." -Dominik

bench56 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I feel like I isolated my tri's better on bench dips than regular dips, but that's just me, and i'm a fan of both.
    **I'm like the East coast number one playboy B,
    Hugh Hefner'll tell you he don't got sh*t on me**

dirtydean12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dirtydean12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dirtydean12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dirtydean12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dirtydean12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dirtydean12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dirtydean12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dirtydean12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dirtydean12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dirtydean12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dirtydean12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    parallel bar dips with a weight belt>>>>>>>>>bench dips

or you could try 2 hand seated overhead db extensions
    *MusclePharm: Official Supplement of the UFC*

drew[at]musclepharm.com

RIP G.K. Miller 7/7/1963-2/13/2007

FEAR IS THE MINDKILLER

********.com/musclepharm

Originally Posted by PureMotivation
    Agreed, I'm a fan o bench dips but, if you don't have a partner or someone you know somewhat well in the gym it's awkward asking someone to place a 45'er on your lap =)
    And then telling them, "A little lower. Now higher. There we go."

Originally Posted by rockhuddy
    You can avoid shoulder problems by not going down all the way (.
    not really; regardless of ROM it's a ****ty movement that causes too many problems.
    <->

FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I sometimes do them at the end of my tri workout and don't use any resistance at all, just slow, superstrict form, hands under my butt and elbows tucked in and go almost to the floor. I agree regular dips are better, but bench dips require far less stabilization and take most of the chest out of the equation (and delts if you use good form). I also agree if you're training alone and want to add a lot of weight they are a pain.

humpty_dumpty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) humpty_dumpty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) humpty_dumpty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) humpty_dumpty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) humpty_dumpty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) humpty_dumpty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) humpty_dumpty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    pre-exaghst is good, do iso exersises before doing them and dont use any resistance. its quite good. but after 5weeks of theese my shoulders strated a get sore so it probly not good on the shoulders, any many have said.