Thread: Carb Depletion

amcrnilovic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Carb Depletion

I have heard woman use this before competition and it works. Does anyone have an example of a carb depletion diet? Has it worked. How far out should you start it and how long should you use it? I have 8 weeks before the show. I want to drop about 3% more bodyfat, however, I cannot afford to lose any lean body mass

Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i am currently on this plan- i dont compete btw, but i am trying to get to abour 17-19% so working on the last 5-8 lbs right now.
    i havent measured my BF in a while, but feel I am doing well on the current plan-
    mon-<20 carbs (cardio day)
    tues-110 carbs post WO (training day)
    wed-<20(cardio)
    thurs-110 PWO again (training)
    fri-<20(cardio)
    Sat-refeed day, 180 spread out through the day(training day)

I eat 5-7 meals/snacks a day, and I maintain the same protein intake. I eat extra good fats on my no-carb days to ensure my calories dont go below 1500.

I may get my BF % taken on saturday if I remember to, I will post what I found out.

I feel really good though, lots of energy at the gym, cravings arent too bad, and its an easy diet to be on.
    Lots of the women around here swear by various carb cycling routines to shed the last few.

Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Question wowza

Do you mean to say that you have less than 20 grams of carbs a day, on those days?! Whoa. How do you do that?? How high is your fat count on those days, if you are replacing the carbs with fat??

amcrnilovic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah, you must be getting huge amounts of fat if you keep protein the same and carbs are under 20g (are you counting vegetables in that?) At 1500 cals, then 80 cals at the most are from carbs. I am not sure what your protein is but going by 1 g per lb(I usually do 1.5 g per lb) and not knowing what your weight is, I will for the heck of it say 130 lbs, then 520 cals are from protein, so that leaves 900 calories for fat which would be about 100g. That is just way too much. It sounds like a ketogenic diet or Atkins. How do you make it through the day on so little carbs. I think you need another refeed day in there being that low. If not, you may risk getting your body used to that and when you reintroduce carbs, your body will be inefficient at using it and may store it as fat. I am no expert, but I have read alot about this stuff.

arose70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) arose70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) arose70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) arose70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) arose70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) arose70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) arose70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) arose70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) arose70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) arose70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) arose70 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yes, that is my understanding of carb cycling, getting enough protein per pound bodyweight, less than 20 carbs, and then the rest comes from fat. Keto diets are not "high-protein" they are more high fat. The fat takes the place of carbs for how your body uses energy so you would obviously need more fat, and 100 grams is about right.

Even on keto people only typically do a full day (24 hours) refeed/carb up (unless you are male and taking in a lot more calories typically).

As long as you are good about slow reintroduction of good carbs then there are no worries about it. In the losing fat forum there is a gigantic thread about carb cycling....do a search for it and it has tons of great info.
    "Ain't no party like a Scranton party cause a Scranton party don't stop."

Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    my extra calories that day come both from extra protein and fat, I forgot to mention the extra protein before(oops)

yeah, my fat intake is higher than normal on those days, but i usually get it via healthy fats. I DO count the carbs from veggies, but i subtract the fiber since its undigestible anyways. the whole idea behind the diet is to keep it at ketogenic levels except PWO and refeed days.

i dont really think i need another refeed day-i eat 110 gms at least every other day post workout. I actually have no trouble eating that way, I dont see any drop in energy levels as i do a mini-carb-up every 48 hours.
    i do plan to reintroduce the carbs slowly when I go back to a more standard diet.

the carb-cycling-101 thread from halleluyah is a good one to read to see more about the science behind it, lots of good studies and discussions to read about there.