REPSforumRep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) REPSforumRep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) REPSforumRep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) REPSforumRep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) REPSforumRep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) REPSforumRep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) REPSforumRep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) REPSforumRep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) REPSforumRep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) REPSforumRep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) REPSforumRep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Creatine and Insulin-Like Groth Factors (IGF-1) Study

I stumbled across this older study on Creatine supplementation. Everyone should know by now that creatine increases gains in lean body mass during resistance training, but no one knows exactly how it works! This study had men supplement with 15 g of creatine monohydrate or placebo each day for five days. This is a typical loading phase for creatine, but recent research shows that it is not truly needed in that your body will be saturated with creatine on a maintaince dose of 3-5 grams after 30 days. After ingestion of creatine, subjects performed the prescribed resistance exercise. Muscle was obtained from the leg using a biopsy needle before exercise, 3 hours later and 24 hours after exercise to measure the anabolic insulin-like growth factors (IGF). The researchers also looked at some of the important signaling proteins that they feel are involved in muscle hypertrophy. The study showed that after five days of creatine supplementation it significantly increased muscle IGF-I at rest or before exercising. Creatine supplementation also improved the signaling proteins that stimulate muscle hypertrophy 24 hours after exercise. This study helped to provide some insights into the mechanism of various anabolic effects of creatine and suggest that increases of IGF-I may be involved.

Deldicque L, Louis M, Theisen D, et al. Increased IGF mRNA in human skeletal muscle after creatine supplementation. Med Sci Sport Exerc. 37(5)731-736, 2005.

If you are interested in Creatine Monohydrate click hear:
    http://bodybuilding.com/store/creatine.html

For more studies click hear:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/poll.p...&pollid=154131

AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by REPSforumRep View Post
    I stumbled across this older study on Creatine supplementation. Everyone should know by now that creatine increases gains in lean body mass during resistance training, but no one knows exactly how it works! This study had men supplement with 15 g of creatine monohydrate or placebo each day for five days. This is a typical loading phase for creatine, but recent research shows that it is not truly needed in that your body will be saturated with creatine on a maintaince dose of 3-5 grams after 30 days. After ingestion of creatine, subjects performed the prescribed resistance exercise. Muscle was obtained from the leg using a biopsy needle before exercise, 3 hours later and 24 hours after exercise to measure the anabolic insulin-like growth factors (IGF). The researchers also looked at some of the important signaling proteins that they feel are involved in muscle hypertrophy. The study showed that after five days of creatine supplementation it significantly increased muscle IGF-I at rest or before exercising. Creatine supplementation also improved the signaling proteins that stimulate muscle hypertrophy 24 hours after exercise. This study helped to provide some insights into the mechanism of various anabolic effects of creatine and suggest that increases of IGF-I may be involved.

Deldicque L, Louis M, Theisen D, et al. Increased IGF mRNA in human skeletal muscle after creatine supplementation. Med Sci Sport Exerc. 37(5)731-736, 2005.

I wonder how much they paid those guys to have their leg biopsied once before exercise and 2 more times after?!

REPSforumRep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) REPSforumRep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) REPSforumRep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) REPSforumRep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) REPSforumRep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) REPSforumRep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) REPSforumRep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) REPSforumRep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) REPSforumRep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) REPSforumRep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) REPSforumRep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by AphtaLyfe View Post
    I wonder how much they paid those guys to have their leg biopsied once before exercise and 2 more times after?!

Yea, muscle biopsy's are not the most pleasant procedures to undergo I know some college professors just give their students some extra credit if they became subjects in the study. I do not know if that was the case for this study though.

SinewySam is on a distinguished road. (+10) SinewySam is on a distinguished road. (+10) SinewySam is on a distinguished road. (+10) SinewySam is on a distinguished road. (+10) SinewySam is on a distinguished road. (+10) SinewySam is on a distinguished road. (+10) SinewySam is on a distinguished road. (+10) SinewySam is on a distinguished road. (+10) SinewySam is on a distinguished road. (+10) SinewySam is on a distinguished road. (+10) SinewySam is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    now THAT is good news!

Dr.Dave1 is just really nice. (+1000) Dr.Dave1 is just really nice. (+1000) Dr.Dave1 is just really nice. (+1000) Dr.Dave1 is just really nice. (+1000) Dr.Dave1 is just really nice. (+1000) Dr.Dave1 is just really nice. (+1000) Dr.Dave1 is just really nice. (+1000) Dr.Dave1 is just really nice. (+1000) Dr.Dave1 is just really nice. (+1000) Dr.Dave1 is just really nice. (+1000) Dr.Dave1 is just really nice. (+1000)

Ther full abstract is below . . . I will have to take a look at the full text when I have time . . .
    Increased IGF mRNA in human skeletal muscle after creatine supplementation.Deldicque L, Louis M, Theisen D, Nielens H, Dehoux M, Thissen JP, Rennie MJ, Francaux M.
    Department of Physical Education and Rehabilitation, Faculty of Medicine, Catholic University of Louvain, Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium.

PURPOSE: We hypothesized that creatine supplementation would facilitate muscle anabolism by increasing the expression of growth factors and the phosphorylation of anabolic signaling molecules; we therefore tested the responses of mRNA for IGF-I and IGF-II and the phosphorylation state of components of anabolic signaling pathways p70(s6k) and 4E-BP1 to a bout of high-intensity resistance exercise after 5 d of creatine supplementation. METHODS: In a double-blind cross-over design, muscle biopsies were taken from the m. vastus lateralis at rest and 3 and 24 h postexercise in subjects who had taken creatine or placebo for 5 d (21 g x d(-1)). For the first 3 h postexercise, the subjects were fed with a drink containing maltodextrin (0.3 g x kg(-1) body weight x h(-1)) and protein (0.08 g x kg(-1) body weight x h(-1)). RESULTS: After creatine supplementation, resting muscle expressed more mRNA for IGF-I (+30%, P < 0.05) and IGF-II (+40%, P = 0.054). Exercise caused an increase by 3 h postexercise in IGF-I (+24%, P < 0.05) and IGF-II (+48%, P < 0.05) and by 24 h postexercise in IGF-I (+29%, P < 0.05), but this effect was not potentiated by creatine supplementation. The phosphorylation states of p70(s6k) and 4E-BP1 were not affected by creatine at rest; phosphorylation of both increased (150-400%, P < 0.05) to similar levels under placebo and creatine conditions at 3 h postexercise plus feeding. However, the phosphorylation state of 4E-BP1 was higher in the creatine versus placebo condition at 24 h postexercise. CONCLUSION: The increase in lean body mass often reported after creatine supplementation could be mediated by signaling pathway(s) involving IGF and 4E-BP1.

PMID: 15870625 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
    So creatine increases resting IGF levels significantly but not post workout IGF levels
    creatine does not affect p70 or 4E-BP1 phosphorylation at rest or 3 Hr post workout
    creatine deos increase 4E-BP1 24 hrs post workout . . . not mentioned if it is significantly higher or not
    Disclaimer: While I have an M.D. the views I express are not to be taken as medical advice under any circumstances. Please check with your own doctor if you want medical advice as he/she has access to your info and can provide the most accurate advice.

www.pubmed.gov . . . gotta love it

NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Everyone should know by now that creatine increases gains in lean body mass during resistance training, but no one knows exactly how it works!
    While I am not exactly sure how much of a role IGF-1 plays in this particular instance, supplemented creatine prevents the progressive depletion of high-energy muscle phosphates and results in enhanced PCr resynthesis, while simultaneously providing enhanced ATP substrate availability.
    ~

Wherever progression lacks.... regress can be found in abundance.

Originally Posted by Dr.Dave1 View Post
    Ther full abstract is below . . . I will have to take a look at the full text when I have time . . .

So creatine increases resting IGF levels significantly but not post workout IGF levels
    creatine does not affect p70 or 4E-BP1 phosphorylation at rest or 3 Hr post workout
    creatine deos increase 4E-BP1 24 hrs post workout . . . not mentioned if it is significantly higher or not
    I thought about posting the abstract, but thought that most individuals would rather have a easy to read review. Is there a particular field that you want to enter when you finish school?

Dr.Dave1 is just really nice. (+1000) Dr.Dave1 is just really nice. (+1000) Dr.Dave1 is just really nice. (+1000) Dr.Dave1 is just really nice. (+1000) Dr.Dave1 is just really nice. (+1000) Dr.Dave1 is just really nice. (+1000) Dr.Dave1 is just really nice. (+1000) Dr.Dave1 is just really nice. (+1000) Dr.Dave1 is just really nice. (+1000) Dr.Dave1 is just really nice. (+1000) Dr.Dave1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I thought about posting the abstract, but thought that most individuals would rather have a easy to read review. Is there a particular field that you want to enter when you finish school?
    this is very true I'm going to be starting my neurosurgery residency this summer
    Disclaimer: While I have an M.D. the views I express are not to be taken as medical advice under any circumstances. Please check with your own doctor if you want medical advice as he/she has access to your info and can provide the most accurate advice.

www.pubmed.gov . . . gotta love it

SinewySam is on a distinguished road. (+10) SinewySam is on a distinguished road. (+10) SinewySam is on a distinguished road. (+10) SinewySam is on a distinguished road. (+10) SinewySam is on a distinguished road. (+10) SinewySam is on a distinguished road. (+10) SinewySam is on a distinguished road. (+10) SinewySam is on a distinguished road. (+10) SinewySam is on a distinguished road. (+10) SinewySam is on a distinguished road. (+10) SinewySam is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by NO HYPE View Post
    While I am not exactly sure how much of a role IGF-1 plays in this particular instance, supplemented creatine prevents the progressive depletion of high-energy muscle phosphates and results in enhanced PCr resynthesis, while simultaneously providing enhanced ATP substrate availability.
    are you saying that creatine does not help build muscle, except indirectly in the form of more intense workouts stemming from enhanced anaerobic energy production?

Originally Posted by SinewySam View Post
    now THAT is good news!

Yes it is, every little advantage one can have at building muscle can really add up at the end of a solid year of hard training!